RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom it may happen to: Long long story short! The tiny misting of oil seepage from the front timing cover on the drivers side on my gen 2 Ecodiesel 2019. Gray Mopar rtv is the sealant for timing covers, no gaskets, Italian robot installs sealant at factory, it needs to be reprogrammed!! These engines for what's it's worth are very sophisticated pieces of machinery that have tight tolerances and any variance from the norm will effect them. That being said, they have come to get a bad rap due to the fact that not all dealerships get to see these engines and their exposure and experience is limited. As time passes I'm sure that experience levels and knowledge will increase. Mine went in at around 10K for the tiny seepage that never dripped but I'm picky. Anyway, the right & left timing covers, valve covers, water pump, CP4 and the HPFP lines have to come off. The hpfp lines will be replaced each time they are touched on an Ecodiesel. When my operation was completed there was a strange noise coming from the front right(pass) on the motor. This is where the CP4 hpfp resides. It is driven off the front right timing gear which is attached to I believe the intake cam. So the timing covers have dowel pins that are supposed to insure that covers are square to the block & the heads when they are reinstalled with the RTV. If this step isn't perfect then the drive gear that mounts on the cam will not mesh exactly with the drive gear on the CP4 hpfp which is mounted to the timing cover itself. So, they thought the pump was the culprit for the noise and they ordered a new pump, installed, same issue? Field tech shows up and finds that the timing cover is not "exactly" square to head & block. 1 of dowel pins missing? Order new dowel pin, double check all timing, ok. Reinstall cover & seal up. Install CP4 pump, startup and much quieter but still hear a little bit of noise. Field tech shows up again and even though it was hardly ran this way they decided to replace both the drive gears for the CP4 pump.(cam & pump gear). Parts came in and they installed and now all is good!!! YEA! I am glad that the dealer was able to on my part, to take the time to do the repair and not just give it back to me saying "ya, those pumps are known to be noisy" Not! It went in quiet and came back to me quiet and I thank the dealer & Ram for going all out to do the job right. There's a lot to be said for OJT experience and I'm sure the dealer techs learned a lot as well as myself.
Moral of the story, these newer engines especially Italian have very tight tolerances & procedures and attention to detail is paramount!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Glad it worked out for you! it also makes me wonder if mine was reinstalled correctly when they replaced the heads. I did think the pump was noisier than it used to be and asked the tech about it, but I accepted the "those are noisy" response and went on my way. Shame on me i guess

Reactions: RJS

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad it worked out for you! it also makes me wonder if mine was reinstalled correctly when they replaced the heads. I did think the pump was noisier than it used to be and asked the tech about it, but I accepted the "those are noisy" response and went on my way. Shame on me i guess
I even reached out to another dealer tech from Texas and he sort of stated that they're noisy and don't worry. Well, it was quiet when I bought it new and when I took it in so I've been a field engineer for 45 years in a different industry but still know right from wrong! I really believe if it is misaligned even for a very short time it messes up the mesh on those 2 drive gears. There is also quite a procedure to "time" up the pump to the cam timing using a timing wheel which puts the pump on the same stroke as cylinder timing. Something about 60 degrees is referenced and if done correctly it also help with noise reduction. I do use Alliant Ultraguard additive to my fuel load to add lubricity to the fuel because of the design of the CP4 pump. Just hope as time goes on I don't experience anymore leaks!!

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
236 Posts
When installing my cp4 back on I couldn’t get it to align 100% because next tooth over put it over the required spec. I reached out to a tech that works on the ecodiesels. He told me not to worry about it. The only thing that would be affected is the noise from the hpfp

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When installing my cp4 back on I couldn’t get it to align 100% because next tooth over put it over the required spec. I reached out to a tech that works on the ecodiesels. He told me not to worry about it. The only thing that would be affected is the noise from the hpfp
Not sure why that would be setup that way. These engines are very exacting and there must be something out of wack. Your degree wheel is positioned correctly? Can't remember the particulars about that 60 degrees. Too much slack in timing chains, gears? How many miles?

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is on a brand new long block. The only thing I could think of was the gear that gets bolted to the cp4 pump. It can get installed at any angle. When it comes time to setting the angle to get it on the engine, it was close to the correct angle, but the tooth wouldn’t sit. Has to be just over or just under the required angle. This may be very confusing. Old engine had 57k miles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is on a brand new long block. The only thing I could think of was the gear that gets bolted to the cp4 pump. It can get installed at any angle. When it comes time to setting the angle to get it on the engine, it was close to the correct angle, but the tooth wouldn’t sit. Has to be just over or just under the required angle. This may be very confusing. Old engine had 57k miles.
Not sure in your case but are these the original drive gears for cam and CP4 pump. Used from old engine?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure in your case but are these the original drive gears for cam and CP4 pump. Used from old engine?
The only thing re used was the cp4 pump with the gear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts