RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post if you do a lot of towing on a non-deleted Ecodiesel and have over 100,000 miles on the engine. I do a lot of towing and have hit the 70,000 mile mark, I'm wondering how much soot buildup is inside this engine and what problems I might have in the near future. Any feedback on non-deleted trucks would be appreciated. Just for fun, you get to see what I've been towing. So far, I've towed through 17 states.

K51kYgy.jpg

·
Registered
746 Posts
I’d say if you’ve made it that far you’ve got a good one. Needless to say, it’s kind of like clockwork, but GDE, does wonders. You’re leaving your emissions intact so everything is still there, it can last a surprisingly long time.
Not sure if you’re running 100% biodiesel or not, but I’m unaware how that affects modern emissions systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d say if you’ve made it that far you’ve got a good one. Needless to say, it’s kind of like clockwork, but GDE, does wonders. You’re leaving your emissions intact so everything is still there, it can last a surprisingly long time.
Not sure if you’re running 100% biodiesel or not, but I’m unaware how that affects modern emissions systems.
I fill-up with a minimum of B5 with every tank. Sometimes I get B10, B15, or B20 during the summer months.

I would get the GDE tune, but I'm going to sell or trade the Ecodiesel for a Cummins eventually.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What MPG are you getting towing?? I’m getting an ED especially for Towing a 7x14 cargo trailer...TIA!!
To be honest with you, I really don't know. I will hand-calculate and post the results in a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I'm almost to 80k with my 2016 and do a lot of towing. 30' toy hauler with an average weight around 8-8500 lbs. I'm not deleted but I do have the GDE hot tune (since 457mi).

What exactly do you mean by 'deleted'? Most think of it as deleting the exhaust emissions. Some mistakenly think of it as simply turning off the EGR. Large difference.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What exactly do you mean by 'deleted'? Most think of it as deleting the exhaust emissions. Some mistakenly think of it as simply turning off the EGR. Large difference.
Yeah, I should have been more clear. I'm wanting to know if anyone who does a lot of towing has a bone stock Ecodiesel (not tuned and not deleted) with 100,000+ miles on their truck. If so, I want to know what their experiences have been.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm almost to 80k with my 2016 and do a lot of towing. 30' toy hauler with an average weight around 8-8500 lbs. I'm not deleted but I do have the GDE hot tune (since 457mi).
That's a good load for the Ecodiesel. Our travel trailer, when loaded, weighs between 7,000 and 7,500 lbs, which is near its max capacity. It gets pretty hot on long hills and mountain passes. The GDE hot tune is the way to go if anyone is planning to keep their Ecodiesel long-term.

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Three that I know personally. First was Steve that had 213,000 on his bone stock ED transporting Airstreams before health issues retired his driving and he sold the truck. 2nd was my son Gabriel that drove a bone stock company Ecodiesel used as an oversize load pilot truck that also typically carried 1,000 pounds in the bed from 100 gallon diesel tank & pump tools chain bindings cones etc for a little over 200,000 miles before the company sold and he left. 3rd is buddy James who is right at 200,000 on his box stock Ecodiesel also transporting Airstreams. He is going to get GDE tuned ASAP past the AEM.

PS you know where I have the most heat issue in the US. Not the hottest or steepest climb but going west on I40 through New Mexico. I think it’s a combination of a couple things. Climbing long slight grade at speed into wind & heat. It sneaks up on me there. Especially if I’m running cruise & not watching. Don’t forget Bounty has the added advantage of the aftermarket oil cooler.

The two biggest keys IMO At speed (anything over 65) and into sometimes relentless headwind. :). Oh and that TH is a parachute worse than a box TT.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Three that I know personally. First was Steve that had 213,000 on his bone stock ED transporting Airstreams before health issues retired his driving and he sold the truck. 2nd was my son Gabriel that drove a bone stock company Ecodiesel used as an oversize load pilot truck that also typically carried 1,000 pounds in the bed from 100 gallon diesel tank & pump tools chain bindings cones etc for a little over 200,000 miles before the company sold and he left. 3rd is buddy James who is right at 200,000 on his box stock Ecodiesel also transporting Airstreams. He is going to get GDE tuned ASAP past the AEM.

PS you know where I have the most heat issue in the US. Not the hottest or steepest climb but going west on I40 through New Mexico. I think it’s a combination of a couple things. Climbing long slight grade at speed into wind & heat. It sneaks up on me there. Especially if I’m running cruise & not watching. Don’t forget Bounty has the added advantage of the aftermarket oil cooler.
Good info, Vern! This gives me a little bit of hope!

Since I live right off I-40 in New Mexico, you can imagine how often I drive it. I had the engine detune going over wolf creek pass due to excessive heat, but that's the only time I've had the engine detune. I also have the Big Horn grille, which I've been told is a little more restrictive.

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
I have not been over famed Wolf Creek pass. Yeah I took my BH grill off and replaced it with SLT honeycomb grill. It does buy you some more time or speed and was an easy relatively cheap upgrade. If I ever bust my SLT grill I will see if I can remove the backing plate (black with round holes) from my BH grill so as to remove the restriction and see if I can reuse it.

I’ve never had the computer detune or pull the fuel on my ED. I have briefly been over both 244 water and 266 oil.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I fill-up with a minimum of B5 with every tank. Sometimes I get B10, B15, or B20 during the summer months.

I would get the GDE tune, but I'm going to sell or trade the Ecodiesel for a Cummins eventually.
I will say there’s something to be said for the piece of mind with an HD pickup while towing.
If you’ve already got the mileage you’ve gotten with no problems, I’d just continue using it as you have been and don’t worry about it. My old body shop guy has one with well over 100k miles on it now, completely stock, previous owner had a few problems, mostly emissions related. The body shop guy uses the pickup as designed, lots of good heat cycles, and hasn’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have not been over famed Wolf Creek pass.
It's such a long climb that it gets very hot. Plus, there's very little wind being forced through the grille since you're traveling at very low speeds. I can't remember for sure, but when the engine detuned, I think my top speed was 25 mph. I was also towing my travel trailer which is near maximum tow capacity. I don't have the gears that you have.

Yeah I took my BH grill off and replaced it with SLT honeycomb grill. It does buy you some more time or speed and was an easy relatively cheap upgrade. If I ever bust my SLT grill I will see if I can remove the backing plate (black with round holes) from my BH grill so as to remove the restriction and see if I can reuse it.

I’ve never had the computer detune or pull the fuel on my ED. I have briefly been over both 244 water and 266 oil.
If I were going to keep the Ecodiesel, I would definitely try to find ways to increase air flow.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Good info, Vern! This gives me a little bit of hope!

Since I live right off I-40 in New Mexico, you can imagine how often I drive it. I had the engine detune going over wolf creek pass due to excessive heat, but that's the only time I've had the engine detune. I also have the Big Horn grille, which I've been told is a little more restrictive.
Last time I was over Wolf Creek Pass, I had the wife detune. Altitude sickness that eventually landed her in the hospital in Colorado Springs.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will say there’s something to be said for the piece of mind with an HD pickup while towing.
If you’ve already got the mileage you’ve gotten with no problems, I’d just continue using it as you have been and don’t worry about it. My old body shop guy has one with well over 100k miles on it now, completely stock, previous owner had a few problems, mostly emissions related. The body shop guy uses the pickup as designed, lots of good heat cycles, and hasn’t had any issues.
We bought a new Ram Cummins in 2006. We drove it for 10 years and never had a problem with it. The reliability of the older trucks (in stock form) is much greater than the newer trucks, unfortunately. We'll be upgrading to a fifth wheel in the near future, so we have no choice but to upgrade the truck as well. My wife misses the Cummins, so she'll be happy to go back to the HD Ram, this time we will upgrade from the SRW to a DRW. Even though we won't be towing anything too heavy, the plan is to add an auxiliary fuel tank to the bed.

We'll probably have to keep the Ecodiesel for at least another six months to one year due to being upside-down on the truck, which is why I was asking questions about exceeding the 100,000-mile mark on a stock truck. We bought our 2015 Ecodiesel new in September of 2016. Then, I didn't make but one or two payments during the first year of ownership, plus I had it financed at 2.7% for 7 years! So, as you can imagine, I'm upside-down on the truck. Since buying it new, we've been averaging 26,000 miles per year. We now owe $26,700. I probably need to start making double payments on it, otherwise, the mileage is going to get too high and the truck will never be worth anything.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Last time I was over Wolf Creek Pass, I had the wife detune. Altitude sickness that eventually landed her in the hospital in Colorado Springs.
That's not good! Were you guys hiking or skiing?

·
Registered
950 Posts
That's not good! Were you guys hiking or skiing?
We'd been skiing at Wolf Creek with no problems. Stayed in Pagso Springs and packing up and getting ready to head back to Denver did her in. Ended up at clinic somewhere off of I-25. They loaded her into the ambulance and by the time I got the kids back into the car, I never saw the thing. I was doing about 90 to try to catch up.

·
Registered
13,530 Posts
Refreshing to read so many posts on Ecodiesels doing lots of work.

Will say I am again surprised by how many tow large trailers with their Ecodiesels for thousands of miles. Wish all Ecodiesel owners could read these posts.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We'd been skiing at Wolf Creek with no problems. Stayed in Pagso Springs and packing up and getting ready to head back to Denver did her in. Ended up at clinic somewhere off of I-25. They loaded her into the ambulance and by the time I got the kids back into the car, I never saw the thing. I was doing about 90 to try to catch up.
I'm glad it turned out okay. Tell her not to give up on hiking, skiing, and other high altitude experiences. She needed more time to acclimate to the altitude. We live, eat, an breathe at 6,500 feet, so altitude sickness is not going to be a problem for us unless we climb some of the higher peaks around the world that are pushing 15,000' - 19,000' feet.

Our goal is to summit the highpoint in all 50 states, which is how we have put 70,000 miles on our truck in less than three years. As mentioned above, we've traveled through 17 states and will be traveling through several more in the upcoming weeks. Based on altitude, here are the ones that we've accomplished thus far:

By elevation:

345 ft. (Britton Hill) FL
535 ft. (Driskill Mt.) LA
806 ft. (Woodall Mt.) MS
1,772 ft. (Taum Sauk) MO
2,405 ft. (Cheaha Mt.) AL
2,753 ft. (Magazine Mountain) AR
4,039 ft. (Mt. Sunflower) KS
4,975 ft. (Black Mesa) OK
5,426 ft. (Panorama Point) NE
8,749 ft. (Guadalupe Peak) TX
12,633 ft. (Humphreys Peak) AZ
13,140 ft. (Boundary Peak) NV
13,161 ft. (Wheeler Peak) NM
14,433 ft. (Mt. Elbert) CO

By difficulty:

Difficulty: 1, Florida - Britton Hill
Difficulty: 1, Mississippi - Woodall Mt.
Difficulty: 1, Missouri - Taum Sauk Mt.
Difficulty: 1, Alabama - Cheaha Mt.
Difficulty: 1, Kansas - Mt. Sunflower
Difficulty: 1, Nebraska - Panorama Point
Difficulty: 2, Arkansas – Magazine Mt.
Difficulty: 2, Louisiana - Driskill Mt.
Difficulty: 4, Oklahoma - Black Mesa
Difficulty: 5, Texas - Guadalupe Peak
Difficulty: 6, Arizona - Humphreys Peak
Difficulty: 6, New Mexico - Wheeler Peak
Difficulty: 6, Colorado – Mt. Elbert
Difficulty: 6, Nevada – Boundary Peak

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Refreshing to read so many posts on Ecodiesels doing lots of work.

Will say I am again surprised by how many tow large trailers with their Ecodiesels for thousands of miles. Wish all Ecodiesel owners could read these posts.
Our travel trailer is a widebody (8'6" wide) and weighs between 7,000 and 7,500 pounds loaded. Here in a few weeks, we'll be towing the trailer a minimum of 4,000 miles.

Now, when I'm back home, the Ecodiesel doesn't get a break. As a hobby, I do a lot of my own landscaping.

h7xWd4p.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts