RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm so sorry that I never provided an update to my initial thread of "Exhaust Fumes Leak". Unfortunately, things got worse for me and I am in the repurchase/replacement process. Here is the collective list of issues that I dealt with before everyone decided it was time to get me out of the vehicle:

3rd brake light needed to be resealed
DEF and fuel filler necks replaced due to a copious amount of leaked fuel during refueling.
Exhaust fumes leaked into the cab
Engine mount replaced due to some god-awful squeaking sound coming from under the hood.
Exhaust fumes came back (fixed with the Technical Service Bulletin)
Engine control module had to be replaced after it stopped communicating after the 2nd exhaust leak fix.
Catalytic converter replaced after the check engine light came on one day after the TSB fix.

My truck spent over 2 months in the shop during my first 10 months (18,000 miles) of owning it. When it was working, it was the perfect truck for me. Great fuel consumption, great capacity for those times I needed to tow something. I'm looking at getting into either the 1500 5.7 HEMI, or another EcoDiesel. As much as I love the performance while it was working, it's really hard to look past the issues I had with it. So, what do y'all say... should I give the ED another go, or should I go with the HEMI?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I haven't looked myself, but what kinds of trouble has the Hemi had compared to the Ecodiesel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
From what I've read, the 5.7 HEMI has been married to Ram parts since 2009, so I think they have any issues worked out. Could have been a Monday buildup and any other ED would be fine. For me, it's kind of like getting food poisoning from a restaurant... You feel a little hesitant to go back there even though the majority of the time everything checks out just fine.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Well, I appears as if you have a near perfect cross-section slice of all the reported Ecodiesel problems - it's a big gamble. Maybe this will help: how much do you think you saved so far by owning the Ecodiesel vs. a gas powered whatever? I like my truck, but I'm disappointed in the mileage. It gets great mileage for s truck, but not what's advertised. With the much higher cost of diesel fuel over gas, plus the higher initial cost of the diesel engine, make me think that I would go with the Hemi if I had to do it over. That opinion may change drastically after I tow our bike trailer for about 3,000 miles in June/July. I may be singing praises - who knows!

·
Registered
48 Posts
"....much higher cost of diesel over gas..."? Here in Indiana its only $0.20 over regular unleaded now.
Well, I appears as if you have a near perfect cross-section slice of all the reported Ecodiesel problems - it's a big gamble. Maybe this will help: how much do you think you saved so far by owning the Ecodiesel vs. a gas powered whatever? I like my truck, but I'm disappointed in the mileage. It gets great mileage for s truck, but not what's advertised. With the much higher cost of diesel fuel over gas, plus the higher initial cost of the diesel engine, make me think that I would go with the Hemi if I had to do it over. That opinion may change drastically after I tow our bike trailer for about 3,000 miles in June/July. I may be singing praises - who knows!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Actually the Hemi is pretty much a bullet proof engine, one of the most reliable among the big three. One of the early problems was one of exhaust manifold bolts breaking, not really an engine problem but it caused loud ticking.

Very few internal problems, even the MDS runs flawlessly. It is more the other components that caused problems, torque converters, rear ends that locked up (early years), and electronics which are pretty much the same between the two vehicles.

If you don't mind the higher rpm's while towing, it is a beast. You can get the same 8 speed trans, but some models can still come with 6 speed which I don't recommend.

I've done 6 cross country trips with my 2009 and usually average around the 20 mpg mark cruising at 70. If you are in tune with the MDS system it does very well and the newer ones can do better. Town driving is the killer and will be around 13 to 15 depending on starts and stops.

My average mpg is around 17+ with around 50/50 highway/city and my only problems to date were a leaky pinion seal and a blend door motor failure in the HVAC system (6 years and 64k miles).

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Both are great engines and unfortunately you got yourself either a lemon or issues with dealer service or a combination of both. I can tell you I have not had any issues with my engine at all. having had gone through a Lemon Law buyback with Ford I have to say FCA from what I have been reading at least takes care of their customers. It took me one year to the day from filing to get a new truck out of Ford. Up side I went from a 1990 to a 1992. But it was just as bad as the first one.

Go with what your gut tells you but I wouldn't have a problem getting another E-Diesel if this one went south.

·
Registered
134 Posts
weird fuel price thing. Weyburn sask gas is .94L and diesel is .89L glad it flipped back to where it should be. Go ECO, first one a lemon. Although if you consistently run short trips, lots of lights and traffic stop go and idle. May want to stay with gas. oh and by the way to all of you who dont know, i bought a cabin filter kit from Geno.s, i have to say what a great place to deal with, they know customer service. to bad our Canadian dollar is worth crap or i would buy more, what a great experience.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Where you headed you have to tow your bike?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Isn't there a thread on this site about a fellow who trashed his Hemi and got an EcoD? I remember reading it on my cell phone while away. Think the replacement engine was too expensive in the Hemi and traded the truck. Also think it was a valve problem causing engine failure.

None of your problems were super catastrophic. Actually, the exhaust problem was the big deal and maybe some attendant issue that arose repairing it. Bet that computer thing was a bummer but I think all computer issues are. Also agree the down-time was hideous. Also thinking it would be a good vehicle now to buy on the used car market. Engine and transmission are now broken in with the little things sorted out.

Nevr recommend an Ecodiesel. Also would never recomment a Hemi. I think it's the worst V8 engine made today. Hideous fuel economy historically, dual-plugged and expensive to deal with. Get a Pentastar if it meets your needs or go GM. Still think they are the best gas engines with the worst transmissions. I don't give a flying hoot about interiors, radios, leather, computer players, power doo doos etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I took the second ED / 3D and I regret it. I when they did my buy-back I should have just took the chance to get out. Now I'm stuck with another truck that is no better than the first. IMO I would not take a second 3D. When (I stress when) it runs right it is a wonderful truck but I've just had way too many issues with the two I've owned. My 2c I guess.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Where you headed you have to tow your bike?
Toronto, Canada & Mid Atlantic USA. If this maiden voyage goes well, our next visit will be Big Bend area here in TX. If you've never been there, go sometime. It's remote, there are mountain lions & flowers that don't grow anywhere else in the world. To me, it gorgeous & it takes a lot to impress me. The Marfa Lights are a complete puzzle for me. I've seen them, but can't explain anything about them. I feel with great certainty they are not headlight reflections as one university claims...

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
"....much higher cost of diesel over gas..."? Here in Indiana its only $0.20 over regular unleaded now.
Today, diesel is around 20 cents per gallon higher than unleaded. In the cooler months it was between 50 - 75 cents per gallon more. Over in the Permian Basin, where they pump the crap out of the ground, they are charging even more ($2.90/gal) - because nearly all big trucks & equipment runs on diesel & that town runs on pure greed!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took the second ED / 3D and I regret it. I when they did my buy-back I should have just took the chance to get out. Now I'm stuck with another truck that is no better than the first. IMO I would not take a second 3D. When (I stress when) it runs right it is a wonderful truck but I've just had way too many issues with the two I've owned. My 2c I guess.
What kind of issues did you have with your first EcoDiesel, and what kind of issues did you have with your second one? Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was usually averaging about 24mpg between cty/hwy and on the highways is where the great numbers came from. I had a few tanks where I got 800+ miles to them. It was not uncommon for me to get 28-32mpg while traveling down I-10 from Houston to Lafayette and back. Grant it, that section of highway is really flat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Toronto, Canada & Mid Atlantic USA. If this maiden voyage goes well, our next visit will be Big Bend area here in TX. If you've never been there, go sometime. It's remote, there are mountain lions & flowers that don't grow anywhere else in the world. To me, it gorgeous & it takes a lot to impress me. The Marfa Lights are a complete puzzle for me. I've seen them, but can't explain anything about them. I feel with great certainty they are not headlight reflections as one university claims...
Big Bend is on my Bucket List..will ride there from Central Texas area on the scoot maybe end of April next year.
This year long rides will be Eureka Springs in the Ozarks Memorial Day Weekend and then Sturgis for the 75th Anniversary Party..:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts