RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Vendor
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We wanted to gauge the interest for having an OBD flash tool for the engine on the ecodiesel. Several companies have come out with OBD flash tools in the last couple months. We use Alientech PG3+ tool on the transmission now.

This last week we got our tool to read/write engine tunes. The protocols are still being finalized, but technically we could already be selling them. The tool is $195.

Downsides
1. added cost
2. the tool can only do one module, so two tools would be needed for engine and trans.
3. upcoming recall will be new engine and trans software coding. Could be new encryption from FCA and tools may no longer work, this is an unknown.
4. requires a pc running windows and some computer skills

Upsides
1. no shipping ecms, cuts shipping cost
2. Can have multiple tunes and switch as desired.
3. Opens up new tuning options as we will be developing on the fly switches for engine brake, possibly overboost or high idle switch, etc.

We are working with Alientech to see if they can modify the tool software to allow for tuning two modules with one tool. This would be a game changer and cost saver.

Let us know your thoughts. Thanks GDE

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Would definitely be interested if one tool could do both jobs. Still would be interested for the engine tune but Will have to wait until the upcoming recall to see what develops. No point in buying now only to have it no longer work after the recall.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The biggest problem I have with getting the Ecodiesel Hot Tune which I need ASAP is the down time I live in Canada in the Vancouver area so I'm looking at riding a bike around for 2 weeks if everything works out the way it is supposed to otherwise longer. I would love to be able to install the Hot tune myself and add various upgrades as they become available via e-mail so put me on your list and if you need a Rep. up this way let me know.

·
Vendor
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be nice to go from stock to the GDE tune and back to stock for dealership visit. A lot better than buying an extra ECU and swapping it. It would definitely be better if it can do two modules.
The flash tool leaves a footprint via flash counter, this could be an issue with warranty if dealer checks it. That is a benefit for bench flashing ecms, not change in flash counter.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Would this change the price of the base tune because you wouldn't have the manpower invested in receiving, handling, tracking and shipping ECMs? Or would those costs be transferred to setting up the tool for a specific customer? What is the anticipated pricing structure, e.g., basic tune + any add-ons + the tool + shipping?

All said and done, it's a very attractive proposition and I could be interested.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The flash tool leaves a footprint via flash counter, this could be an issue with warranty if dealer checks it. That is a benefit for bench flashing ecms, not change in flash counter.
I have separate ecms... One stock, one gde.. I am definitely interested... Depends on details.

·
Vendor
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would this change the price of the base tune because you wouldn't have the manpower invested in receiving, handling, tracking and shipping ECMs? Or would those costs be transferred to setting up the tool for a specific customer? What is the anticipated pricing structure, e.g., basic tune + any add-ons + the tool + shipping?

All said and done, it's a very attractive proposition and I could be interested.
It will increase the cost $195. The tool setup and tune making with the tool is still about the same man-hours vs. ecm bench flash. I think it will just be added to our current pricing structure unless the process can be simplified. Working that out with the flash tool supplier.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The real added benefit here would be the ability to switch tunes, for example most tuners have 3-5 different tunes, the options to adjust parameters such as tire size and gear ratio, top speed limiters, high idle, etc. I see it as relatively pointless until you can combine the two modules and offer transmission and engine tuning from the same device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yep I’m in. Will wait till after the AEM though. Hopefully you will have the module figured out so I can get trans tune too.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The real added benefit here would be the ability to switch tunes, for example most tuners have 3-5 different tunes, the options to adjust parameters such as tire size and gear ratio, top speed limiters, high idle, etc. I see it as relatively pointless until you can combine the two modules and offer transmission and engine tuning from the same device.

Some of those are done in the BCM and can be modified using the AlfaOBD app.

I'm interested, especially if I can use the trans programmer I already have. Would imagine the compatibility would be handled when the programmer is updated online.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The biggest problem I have with getting the Ecodiesel Hot Tune which I need ASAP is the down time I live in Canada in the Vancouver area so I'm looking at riding a bike around for 2 weeks if everything works out the way it is supposed to otherwise longer. I would love to be able to install the Hot tune myself and add various upgrades as they become available via e-mail so put me on your list and if you need a Rep. up this way let me know.
Can you not do the core exchange method? Allows for zero downtime.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Some of those are done in the BCM and can be modified using the AlfaOBD app.

I'm interested, especially if I can use the trans programmer I already have. Would imagine the compatibility would be handled when the programmer is updated online.
I understand a lot of the stuff is handled via some sort of app or tool or whatever, I’m just saying it’s nice when you get one thing to do it all. Kind of like having 3 different keys and locks on one door, sure it works, but who really wants to keep track of that.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts