121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
^^ Great info, thanks!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
The GDE Hot Tune shuts off the EGR electronically , but the unit can still fail in a few different ways ,
where coolant would go in Intake manifold , or in exhaust , (depending on which failure you had ) ,
clogging the DOC and DPF filter both housed in the DPF canister .
the best thing to do is look at the coolant bottle often under the hood , if it ever goes down the EGR cooler
is a good probability for the coolant loss , ((there is also the tube that runs under the intake bringing coolant to
the turbo that could leak , but more rare )). only when leaking do you remove the EGR cooler , or prevention ,
they will fail at some point , rarer when tuned I believe .( a member " Roadblock " had his replacement EGR cooler
last 3 weeks before it leaked again ... how nice
so for your question .... prevention .
leaving it intact means you can go from tuned ECM to stock ECM with no error codes on the dash ..
I added a simple plastic bottle on the end of my overflow coolant tube , if EGR fails in a way that both portions are
united from a failure , it sends exhaust pressure in the coolant portion of the EGR , bringing pressure above the 21psi
limit of the coolant bottle cap , pissing coolant on the ground , from the overflow tube while running , and coolant
going in exhaust when engine turned off . (( link to bottle added : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/diy-how-section/56513-degas-bottle-lower-tube-extension.html))
I am tuned , so my shut off EGR does not scare me as much as stock EGR .
If it ever leaks , I'll be ready :eek: : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/diy-how-section/57058-egr-cooler-stage-2-delete-instructions.html
Great write up!!

Like you, I"m also GDE tuned and I had my leaking egr cooler replaced about 10,000 km ago.

Now that I'm tuned, I always wonder, if the new cooler ever decides to start to leak, and with GDE shutting off EGR, were would the leaking coolant go? Could it still make it's way up into the intakes with EGR closed off? Should I be considering Stage 1 and 2 delete kits? Not a concern right now, but wondering what my options are down the road if this piece of junk egr cooler were to fail again...

I just wondering where it goes now. I don't want antifreeze going into the intakes and cylinders.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
stage 2 EGR delete is the way to go , but no rush , unless you don't want the truck to dictate "when "
to do it , I am retired so I can wait for the EGR to fail and do it then .
the tune is the first step , the GDE hot tune is already EGR delete compatible , ( unless it is an early version ).
also depends where you live , some places with inspection , delete is visible .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Disappointed they won't be doing these with a flash tool...guess I need to think about doing the ECM swap after I get AEM update soon.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Infy , you order your tuned ECM before going to dealer , once you have a date for AEM
time your purchase to get to you a couple days in advance .

GDE tuned ECM waiting for you when you get home after AEM,==> swap , ==> no down time
if you choose not to keep 2 ECM ship module containing AEM back to GDE for core refund .

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Infy , you order your tuned ECM before going to dealer , once you have a date for AEM
time your purchase to get to you a couple days in advance .

GDE tuned ECM waiting for you when you get home after AEM,==> swap , ==> no down time
if you choose not to keep 2 ECM ship module containing AEM back to GDE for core refund .
This is what I did. Excellent advice.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts