RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
This is the one I'm interested in:

Registered
You'll probably still have to take it off when you go in as they use that port for other scans, but if you can just tell them NO and have that and they balk you won't have to worry.

Anyone have one of these and taken their truck in?

Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
IMO, Having one of those locks installed when you go to a dealer shop is like waving a red flag saying look at me I'm running a non-factory tune.
But if you are out of warranty.....then who cares. It all depends on what you are there for. If I ever have an issue where I need an emergency tow to a dealer as a last resort because there's no indy diesel shops nearby, I will protect my tune first to prevent an unauthorized AEM installation.

Registered
But if you are out of warranty.....then who cares. It all depends on what you are there for. If I ever have an issue where I need an emergency tow to a dealer as a last resort because there's no indy diesel shops nearby, I will protect my tune first to prevent an unauthorized AEM installation.
If your out of warranty, I would partially agree with you. The trouble is that every time I've taken either my '14 ED or my '18 Cummins to a dealer shop for anything including non-drivetrain related recalls, the first thing the service writer did while checking-in was get a download from the OBD port. There's where the red-flag would be raised.

Then there's the issue of the AEM mess and some guy's retuning after getting it done. Then there's the EGR cooler recall & who knows if it will require a software download, it shouldn't but who knows until FCA has the parts & starts doing the EGR change-outs. The bottom line is if you take your truck to a dealership for work in their service department they are going to want & need access to your OBD port, it's just the nature of the beast with these newer trucks.

The best & safest way to save your expensive tune is having the stock ECM to re-install before your truck goes to a dealership shop. What a pain is the butt that is! Then there's the issue if your truck breaks down on the road & you don't have time to change-out the ECM before it get's towed to the dealer shop.

Everyone can do what they are comfortable with, but personally I feel these OBD locks are just a feel good device, if your in a dealership shop & have one, your going to have an interesting conversation with the service department. If your still in warranty & have one of these, FCA may use it against you for denying a warranty claim.

Registered
For GDE tuned trucks...From what I鈥檝e heard the ECM swap is only 10 minutes. Keeping a stock tuned ECM in your rig alleviates a problem of being stuck somewhere and having to tow to a dealer. Swap em and take the tuned ECM with you. No OBD lock needed!

Reactions: Jsanders88

Registered
I have no need for a stock ECM. Truck is EGR removed/deleted, long out of warranty and never goes to in to a dealer and all I want to do in the event I have a breakdown in the middle of bumfart nowhere and I have no other choice than to tow it into a dealer. I WANT TO SAVE MY TUNE from the AEM or being overwritten period. This lock will achieve that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.