RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this Scan tool adapter? It connects to Android devices to provide losts of cool information.

ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth/OBD-II Scan Tool Interface

This app is packed with outstanding features that make it easy to:

•Access up to 90 real-time parameters
•Clear 'Check Engine Light'
•Read pending, stored, and permanent diagnostic trouble codes
•Online trouble code lookup
•Check emissions test readiness
•Calculate MPG (instantaneous and over time)

OBDLink MX also includes the free OBDwiz PC diagnostics software (a $30 value). You get all the features of the OBDLink app, plus:

Easily log and display multiple data points
View larger

•Recording and playback of monitored data
•Data logging in CSV (Excel) format
•Real-time plotting of selected vehicle data
•Logging fuel-related trip statistics
•Multi-language support

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes, I have had it for a year or so. Works well. However, I haven't installed the OBDwiz app to my phone... I use the TorquePro app instead. They are pretty much the same, but I had the Torque app already from before, so I have just used that.

It is nice to setup on longer trips or when towing so you can see live data (trans temp ext...) Setup the vehicle info to show what it can and then setup phone to show different info.

For me it was worth the money... don't use it every day but does give valuable information when you do.... and gives me a reason to justify my smartphone that I don't really need. Also, give you a way to arm yourself with information if you do ever have to take a vehicle into the repair shop and make sure they are being truthful.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, I have had it for a year or so. Works well. However, I haven't installed the OBDwiz app to my phone... I use the TorquePro app instead. They are pretty much the same, but I had the Torque app already from before, so I have just used that.

It is nice to setup on longer trips or when towing so you can see live data (trans temp ext...) Setup the vehicle info to show what it can and then setup phone to show different info.

For me it was worth the money... don't use it every day but does give valuable information when you do.... and gives me a reason to justify my smartphone that I don't really need. Also, give you a way to arm yourself with information if you do ever have to take a vehicle into the repair shop and make sure they are being truthful.
I've been using Torque BHP on a phone and tablet for my F-250 for the last 2yrs. Is very nice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't care for the phone apps either. The insight cts does everything they do and also works well as a multigage. The phone apps have gage displays as well but then you have to get a mount and run power to it which then makes it difficult to use the phone for anything else. IMO, it's best just to have a designated gage. Will be nice when edge has an update to fully support our trucks not all pid's are recognized yet.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agreed... having a dedicated unit is/would be nice. However, that is also another $420. I think the OBDlink is a great option for $100. It works well and gives you a lot of information as well as makes more use for the $200 already invested in a smartphone that most of us already own.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i have not used any of these before...so if i were looking at something like this: ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink LX Scan Tool | OBD Interface | App Accelerator - ScanTool.net (basically the smartphone app method), what data am i going to get that isn't available with the digital console/gauge? Or rather, what specifically would i want to see with the OBD app/device that i can't see otherwise? Is it basically EGT and transfluid temp? i'm not saying this is worthless, just asking what it is i'd be able to see that's of value and is all that is needed is just plugging into the ODBII port, there's no other wiring/probe stuff needed?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread. Anyone used their OBDLink MX on their 3D? Hows it working out?
Just purchased one last week and it will work on one of our cars (2010 Subaru Impreza) but not on the EcoDiesel or our other car. The wifi connection works but none of built-in protocol options seem to want to work with either vehicle. Chasing down an answer on ScanTool's forum right now......thread link below.

https://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?topic=10944.0

·
Registered
218 Posts
Reactions: 3514vMach1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts