RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my first post here. I did some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

I have a new company truck, base SLT with standard head lamps. I have found used OEM projector lamps for sale. Are these a plug and play swap? If not, is there an adapter cable I need to use?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
https://shop.retroshop.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=13.Adapt

I did the swap but after a short time re-installed the Quad headlamps. This harness has inline resistors that prevent the hyper flashing normally associated with LED's. These resistors get VERY HOT, so hot that I just wasn't comfortable having it installed so I pulled everything out and went back to stock. Also, the harness is a direct plug n play fit but be prepared to slightly trim some tabs because both harnesses would not snap lock together without some fine adjustment. Retrosource new about the issue because they suggested I do the trimming. Another issue I had with the harness is that on one of the encased resistor, the wire pulled right out of it on installation so I had to disassemble and solder a new connection. As good measure I checked the other resistor just to be sure but it was OK. One last issue, the resistors need to be mounted on any solid metal surface clear of wires or plastic and there is only one option because it's a tight fit behind the headlamps. Once I had the resistors screwed down and mounted I come to find that the harness is too short not leaving me enough room to plug everything back together. I had to make snip off one of the plugs and solder on a few extra inches of wire to make everything reach.

All in all, yes you can make these work but be prepared for some unforeseen issues and don't expect the amber LED marker light on the projector to light up nice and bright as daytime running lamps like those that come factory installed. Rather they are dimly lite and only light up at full brightness when used as a flasher.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi everyone, my first post here. I did some searching but haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this question.

I have a new company truck, base SLT with standard head lamps. I have found used OEM projector lamps for sale. Are these a plug and play swap? If not, is there an adapter cable I need to use?

Thanks in advance.
Don't do it. The OEM projectors are garbage. Everytime I drive at night I cant believe I spent all this money for a truck with candles for headlights.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't do it. The OEM projectors are garbage. Everytime I drive at night I cant believe I spent all this money for a truck with candles for headlights.
So the base headlamps are as good or better? and I wanted them for the look more than anything.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So the base headlamps are as good or better? and I wanted them for the look more than anything.
Ram's choice of projectors are gar-beege. Look into HID LED's for the headlights, you won't be disappointed. There's a threat that llaapp started about ordering a kit from The Auto LED Corp [email protected] Braden is the guy that runs the business, super easy to deal with, and answers all questions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definitely better. My F150's projectors were so much better, no comparison night driving. I you want to look good during the day and not be able to look at anything at night I would suggest your swap LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely better. My F150's projectors were so much better, no comparison night driving. I you want to look good during the day and not be able to look at anything at night I would suggest your swap LOL
WOW, I didn't know they were that bad. Thanks guys. This forum is by far the best I've been apart of ! Very impressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thread Revive

i know this thread is old but, i have been looking into swapping my quad lights for the projector set up as well, i looked at the retrofit adapter and they have upgraded it to a true plug and play with no resistors.

my only problem is they wont run the led turn signals as drl but i found a ram tazer that promises to be able to switch what light my truck uses for my drl by reprogramming the truck computer.
what i wanna know is if anyone has actually used it for this swap?

also i am from canada so drl is a thing.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I'm kinda shocked... I have no issues w my projectors. I can see just fine. Hids are def better but not sure where the hate comes from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts