RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are new options for the GDE tune on their website... I don't see any description for the Off-Road Tune.

·
Registered
961 Posts
All of their tunes are "off-road" for legal reasons. Anything "on-road" has to pass a few hundred grand worth of EPA tests

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting, I'm guessing they decided to offer a full delete even though they recommend against it? Why loose business to the people hard set on deleting if they already have the programming worked out. It would be nice to hear from GDE on the option update.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I see that. $400 option. Keith or Matt will chime in.

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
That option is for pure off road racing and allows for complete straight pipe installation. We feel our base tune works just as well, but some folks are looking for something else. That option is still priced about $150 less then the competitor tunes and is fully validated to ensure no turbo over speeding occurs.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Will it still be safe to tow with the off road tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think i want a seat in that off road racing trailer : )

·
Registered
147 Posts
So can you tell us why someone might want an off road tune? You showed your charts running straight pipe with no significant gains. Is the mainly a tune for those who might want to delete?

·
Registered
317 Posts
My thinking is probably out in left field a bit when it comes to these 3.0L engines and tunes. It's a small engine that is only going to get so much power without major money involved. Personally, I'd rather go for reliability and longevity the benefits the hot tune gives these trucks, then messing around with pushing the threshold and lose some of that reliability and longevity.

At some point it would almost be more economical to just get the 3/4 ton and the benefit of that 6.7L Cummins, which those numbers are pretty impressive pushing 800ft lbs of torque stock.

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
So can you tell us why someone might want an off road tune? You showed your charts running straight pipe with no significant gains. Is the mainly a tune for those who might want to delete?
It might come into play more on high mileage trucks that are out of warranty and have a major dpf or scr failure. Rather than spend 3000-4000 on new hardware, easier to just let it fall off and more economical. We personally prefer to keep the stock exhaust intact as it is cleaner and not a noticeable penalty if already running a GDE tune.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It might come into play more on high mileage trucks that are out of warranty and have a major dpf or scr failure. Rather than spend 3000-4000 on new hardware, easier to just let it fall off and more economical. We personally prefer to keep the stock exhaust intact as it is cleaner and not a noticeable penalty if already running a GDE tune.
Thank you. Appreciate the response.

·
Registered
638 Posts
This is exactly why I'm looking to delete. I put about 30,000 hard miles a year on my truck and it sees extensive amounts of idle time in the winter. I can't afford to get the dreaded "countdown until no restart" because of a plugged up DPF. Chrysler roadside won't tow me (because I'm working in the bush, not technically on a mapped road) and the nearest dealer might also be a few hundred miles away at best. And God only knows how backed up their service department may be to boot.

Thanks GDE, I look forward to learning about your new off road tune, comparing the features and seeing which option is best for my situation. 🏻

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
This is exactly why I'm looking to delete. I put about 30,000 hard miles a year on my truck and it sees extensive amounts of idle time in the winter. I can't afford to get the dreaded "countdown until no restart" because of a plugged up DPF. Chrysler roadside won't tow me (because I'm working in the bush, not technically on a mapped road) and the nearest dealer might also be a few hundred miles away at best. And God only knows how backed up their service department may be to boot.

Thanks GDE, I look forward to learning about your new off road tune, comparing the features and seeing which option is best for my situation. ��
The "countdown until no restart" is a function of the SCR (DEF / AdBlue) system, not the DPF. With our tunes, you will still get the message (it's a function of the instrument cluster) but the vehicle will continue to restart. :)

Regarding the DPF, with our tune you should be able to idle for roughly 58hrs consecutively before the "Exhaust Filter 90% Full Please Drive on Highway" message appears in the cluster. At that point, you can just press the accelerator pedal to the floor with the engine at its 2500rpm governed speed and the regeneration will start and run no problem.

With our off-road tune, it offers:
• Re-install or remove completely all the sensors in the exhaust - the choice is yours, tune functions the same. We are not aware of our competitors offering the same flexibility.
• No need to unplug any other engine actuators (EGR and throttle valve actuators). Some of our competitors require this, we actually use the EGR valve as a surge mitigation device just like the stock tune to prevent low cycle fatigue failure of the compressor wheel (the stock tune does this too).
• You can remove completely the DEF tank from the vehicle - now plenty of space for an extra/larger fuel tank! If you do this, be sure to drain the DEF tank completely and fill with 1gal of distilled water (only!) to keep the internal supply module filter permeable. Else if you need the tank again in the future it will be a giant paperweight due to the filter drying out.
• DEF gauge sits at an aesthetically-pleasing 50% forever. On-lookers in your vehicle will be none the wiser the system is missing without crawling under... We're not aware of other competitors offering the same.
• The tune offers all the same level of support and validation given by all our products EcoDiesel or otherwise. Altitude, hot, towing, idling all day, you name it. All you have to do is get in, start it up, and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
There's a couple ways to look at this , my way not to wait until it goes bad then remove because if you ever go to trade in it has to have a working def exhaust system or big money out of pocket , I would rather remove it while it's still in good condition and everything is working then if you go to trade it in you put everything back on it and then trade it in and hopefully everything still works or at least until you leave the dealership.

·
Registered
638 Posts
There's a couple ways to look at this , my way not to wait until it goes bad then remove because if you ever go to trade in it has to have a working def exhaust system or big money out of pocket , I would rather remove it while it's still in good condition and everything is working then if you go to trade it in you put everything back on it and then trade it in and hopefully everything still works or at least until you leave the dealership.
That's my plan which is why I got the truck fixed when p20ee paid me a visit. I'll be ready to pull the trigger in a month or two probably.

I need tires first then toys after lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts