RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I found a dealership finally that is going to look at my truck for the code of death P0299 and also the fuel quantity code. I gotta drive 10 hours to get it there which sucks but its the best dealership I've dealt with and have good ecodiesel mechanics. At least I'm getting a loaner truck. They've done al sorts of test already and are saying they might replace the turbo but are looking into more things. Love my truck and hoping this ETC issue can be solved. And yes i know everyone will say just delete and GDE but i don't want to and i want the truck to be fixed properly first by dodge. lets see what happens.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Well I found a dealership finally that is going to look at my truck for the code of death P0299 and also the fuel quantity code. I gotta drive 10 hours to get it there which sucks but its the best dealership I've dealt with and have good ecodiesel mechanics. At least I'm getting a loaner truck. They've done al sorts of test already and are saying they might replace the turbo but are looking into more things. Love my truck and hoping this ETC issue can be solved. And yes i know everyone will say just delete and GDE but i don't want to and i want the truck to be fixed properly first by dodge. lets see what happens.
Good luck and please keep us posted. I'm curious where you're located.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think that code was what I had recently and it was the EGR cooler. I had turbo underboost. From what I hear, that's a broad code and could be several different things, including the turbo.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The truck will be properly fixed when you remove the EGR cooler and put a tune like GDE for example!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I wouldn't argue that. I still have my egr cooler because it's new but when it goes it's getting a delete. I have the GDE Hot Tune for now. I can see how he wants it all fixed for now to start fresh and know what he's got before spending money on a tune.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good luck and please keep us posted. I'm curious where you're located.
DITTO!

Man, where are you if you have to drive 10 hours? The Arctic?:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im up in Northern BC Canada. The dealership that is close by is absolutely horrible and knows nothing. I was just recently on a trip and decided to bring my truck in to Kamloops Dodge. They have been awesome just really far away. They want to fix it and have been nothing but great to me. They've tried a few things already and obviously nothing. Im going to tell them to check the EGR which I think is bad cuz my coolant level drops when i fill it up. Alsocheck the turbo pressure sensor.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Good heavens - 10 hours. That is like 500 or more miles. One way?

Guessing they are allowing you to take the loaner back home and return next week. Good dealer. Now what do you do it if does not work?
You speak to the issue of GDE and/or a full delete. Heck, that ride alone would near pay for the tune, including the motel room for the night.

Sure hope their fix is correct. If not, at least you know what to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya its a long way for sure. Good thing these trucks have good fuel mileage lol. I hope they can get it figured out. If not the next step will be too delete, I will have no choice which is fine, but i want to try and get the actual problem fixed. Cant wait for this to be over. Its always something ahahah. yes i get to drive the loaner home And they are a great shop, thats why im driving a long way hahaha

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Truck has been in the shop for 4 weeks now. they figue its fuel injector issue but nothing is resolved yet. How long before i can do a buy back or something

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
everything I ever found on P0299 :
P0299 = new fix as of july 2018 replace all injectors and fuel lines ...
see in here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/59692-p0299-dealer-replacing-fuel-injectors.html
also post # 12 in here :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/59648-ecodiesel-losing-lots-coolant.html#post902738
in one situation , fixed by changing clogged Air filter
P0299 = ckolumber had that code , they replaced turbo and Intake , then the MAF sensor
at a dealer far from his home NC , when he made it home in PA , truck felt funny
on and off , then he got P0299 and limp mode again , turned out the dealer who
made oil change ( 2 oil changes ago ) put wrong Air Filter in Air box , too
small , it was collapsing on itself , that was the problem from the start , all
the un-necessary work performed in NC for 2 months du to Air Filter , first
thing to check with that code ...
post#27 here : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/57545-electronic-throttle-control-problem-second-time-2.html#post901316
WILL IT LAST ?????
P0299 Turbocharger Underboost
nota : (This code was thrown as a glitch in the ECM update
made available in August. Unless there was a
physical leak/issue with the intake system, a simple
reflash may have taken care of the problem. )
**also appears when DPF filter is full and needs stationary regen
so accompanied by P2463 for that particular fault combination .
early GDE tune would throw that code also , update fixed that ( Mid August.2015 )
by GDE : Some issues regarding P0299 misdetection were found, in the latest Chrysler release they
added a feature that detects underboost without any consideration of the actual boost
pressure...genius/NOT . We had to make some additional changes to revert back to the
old boost detection strategy based on actual boost pressure. A few customers now have
received the new tune and resolved the issue. ( fixed on GDE's dime )
see post # 60 in here :
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/green-diesel-engineering/7887-issues-gde-tune-3.html
MAP sensor was the first thing the dealer replaced on my truck. I was getting P-0299 codes
on takeoff or when going from a slow turn to acceleration. They said in these trucks it
also works as your Turbo Pressure Sensor and if it gets crusted over you will get the
" Service Electronic Throttle Control" message and it will go into limp mode. I had I
happen twice and when the tech pulled it out he said it was so plugged it would be
impossible to clean it. That was at about 25,000 miles.
I now am at 28,000 miles and I get an occasional " Service Electronic Throttle Control"
at higher speeds but they seem to think that is a fuel system issue that they are
working on now. As long as we have the EGR systems dumping the exhaust back
through the intake these MAP sensors are going to have their problems.
P0299 = RamltEco , post # 8 in this thread :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-general-discussion/27161-service-electronic-throttle-control.html
code P0299-00 check fuse at pdc f63 20 amp = pass erase code , drive truck =code came back ,
perform boost pressure actuator pass test ==> then perform air pressure test = found
charge hose leaking , replace hose , erase code , drive truck = all fine .

by B-g-K same thread , Update: temp coolant sensor replaced today. All seems well again.
$220 OTD including $20 for coolant

others ,Vern and kylerobertpayne ==> catalytic converter sometimes gets so much soot that the
walls of it will not get cleaned even with regen high temps ,clogging even made regen
impossible for DPF , got to 90 % , then 100% , catalytic converter cleaned
at dealer and truck fine after 800 miles , verdict ==> too much idling time .

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow nice !!
Had injectors done and feul quantity code keeps coming up. the ETC code is because of the other one. So now chrysler told the dealership to check and replace he def injector which is leaking and staying open apparently

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good grief. I've had the ETC code pop up twice now. 300 miles ago they reset it, did a recall reflash and gave my truck back. 300 miles later, it pops up again and they said it's the EGR cooler leaking coolant into my oil.

Great. What in the actual **** is wrong with these people? After 5 years of having this motor in this truck they can't figure this crap out?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So my truck has been in the shop for 2.5 months now. Replaced injectors, def injector, fuel pressure reg and fuel system. I'm guessing the lines ? Just talked with Dodge customer care and the guy was a complete ass. He was saying that the truck could be there for a year if thats what it needed. we will cross those bridges when we get there.i was losing my shit No such thing as buybacks is what he said too. Im going to wait 3 months and than go to social media and provincial news outlets. Im in Canada. He says do what i gotta do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts