RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts
The torque specs for the filters are stamped onto the caps. You'll see it as soon as you open up your new filter.

Reactions: NewLove
Discussion starter · #23 ·
Reactions: WXman and Roby
Discussion starter · #25 ·
Yes and thanks. It’s sad that the manufacturer can’t list the proper parts for the truck
It can be very confusing and frustrating. I have the same issue with John Deere.

Looks like EcoGard has a filter for the Gen3 engine: (part# S11880)

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Reactions: Crash68
It's been said that the dealers get a different filter that has a removable filter element. The ones you and I can buy online have a non-removable filter element. I haven't confirmed that myself, but others have shown pictures of them both on another forum.
Not sure if this has been addressed but the filters with the removable element is NOT for the 2020+ ED. I have a 2014 AND a 2020 and they use completely different filters. The one with the removable element is for the 2014-2018, the 2020+ looks similar but the element DOES NOT come out. You replace the entire thing.

Not sure if this has been addressed but the filters with the removable element is NOT for the 2020+ ED. I have a 2014 AND a 2020 and they use completely different filters. The one with the removable element is for the 2014-2018, the 2020+ looks similar but the element DOES NOT come out. You replace the entire thing.
This thread is getting old now, so it's a good time to update the info. So here's what ended up being the deal. The Gen 3 engines (2020+) originally started shipping with oil filters that had removable elements. It was still a redesign from the Gen 2 filter, and they were not interchangeable. But, the filter element itself would unscrew and pop out of the cap.

Then not long into production, they began to switch to the current design which does not have a removable filter element. That design is the one that's still being sold today.

This caused a lot of confusion early on. But in hindsight, what was going on is that FCA realized that many owners and many dealers were using Gen 2 filters on Gen 3 engines, which is a big no no. They even sent out a TSB to all the dealers that basically said "DO NOT use a Gen 2 filter on a Gen 3 engine." So there's a very high probability that the switch to the current non-removable filter element was done purposefully to make it stand out from the old filters, and hopefully prevent people from using the wrong filters.

As a side note, just within the past couple of weeks I've seen an aftermarket oil filter option for the very first time. Can't recall the brand name, but it was about $10 less money and so it seems that in the future we may end up getting options, and competition will likely drive down the insane list price on the Mopar filter.

Edit: The aftermarket filter is made under the EcoGard brand, and was already mentioned in this thread from what I can see. Oops.

Reactions: biodiesel
This thread is getting old now, so it's a good time to update the info. So here's what ended up being the deal. The Gen 3 engines (2020+) originally started shipping with oil filters that had removable elements. It was still a redesign from the Gen 2 filter, and they were not interchangeable. But, the filter element itself would unscrew and pop out of the cap.

Then not long into production, they began to switch to the current design which does not have a removable filter element. That design is the one that's still being sold today.

This caused a lot of confusion early on. But in hindsight, what was going on is that FCA realized that many owners and many dealers were using Gen 2 filters on Gen 3 engines, which is a big no no. They even sent out a TSB to all the dealers that basically said "DO NOT use a Gen 2 filter on a Gen 3 engine." So there's a very high probability that the switch to the current non-removable filter element was done purposefully to make it stand out from the old filters, and hopefully prevent people from using the wrong filters.

As a side note, just within the past couple of weeks I've seen an aftermarket oil filter option for the very first time. Can't recall the brand name, but it was about $10 less money and so it seems that in the future we may end up getting options, and competition will likely drive down the insane list price on the Mopar filter.

Edit: The aftermarket filter is made under the EcoGard brand, and was already mentioned in this thread from what I can see. Oops.
That could very well be the case, however I have both generations and did an oil change on both of them at the same time. Not sure of the reasoning of the design change but that filter element is definitely different. I should have a picture somewhere on one of these threads with them side-by-side after I removed both filter elements from the caps.

That could very well be the case, however I have both generations and did an oil change on both of them at the same time. Not sure of the reasoning of the design change but that filter element is definitely different. I should have a picture somewhere on one of these threads with them side-by-side after I removed both filter elements from the caps.
They also could’ve potentially been using generation two filters in the generation three engines because of a shortage in filters. I bought my generation three at the end of January 2020 and did my first oil change in March. I had to drive two hours to a dealership just to get a filter and they were over $100 at the time.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
I run OE filters unless aftermarket proves to be a better filter. For example, I run an Amsoil filter on my John Deere since it's rated for 20 micron. John Deere doesn't advertise their micron rating, but I can almost guarantee it's not as good as 20 micron. I sent Ecogard an email asking about their micron rating.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
I sent Ecogard an email asking about their micron rating.
"ECOGARD model S11880 is 99.83% efficient @ 20 microns, 99.91% efficient @ 25 microns and 99.95% efficient @ 30 microns. Thank you for your interest in ECOGARD products."

Assuming ECOGARD flows as good as the OE filter, I would say this is a very good filter. It might be better than Mopar, but that will be difficult to prove unless Mopar discloses their micron rating. I might try to reach out to Mopar just to see if I can get a response.

I'll update the front page to reflect the micron rating.

Reactions: NewLove
"ECOGARD model S11880 is 99.83% efficient @ 20 microns, 99.91% efficient @ 25 microns and 99.95% efficient @ 30 microns. Thank you for your interest in ECOGARD products."

Assuming ECOGARD flows as good as the OE filter, I would say this is a very good filter. It might be better than Mopar, but that will be difficult to prove unless Mopar discloses their micron rating. I might try to reach out to Mopar just to see if I can get a response.

I'll update the front page to reflect the micron rating.
Would be very interested to see the rating of the OE filter for sure. I would want to take them apart and see how many pleats each one has as well. Efficiency rating is fine but if it’s also equal or greater in filter media amount

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Would be very interested to see the rating of the OE filter for sure.
I sent an email to Mopar yesterday. We'll see if they respond.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I sent an email to Mopar yesterday. We'll see if they respond.
I finally received an email response from Mopar, but it doesn't give me any of the micron rating information I requested.

"This manufacturer's engines have a full-flow type disposable oil filter. Use a filter of this type for replacement. The quality of replacement filters varies considerably. Only high quality filters should be used to assure most efficient service. Mopar engine oil filters are high quality oil filters and are recommended. We recommend you use Replacement Mopar Engine Oil Filters. Using an oil filter that does not meet the manufacturers filtration requirements can severely impact engine life and reliability."

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Just changed oil and used penzoil plat euro…oil psi at idle is 24ish. I forgot to check before oil change…is this normal? What is your psi at idle?
Yes, that is normal for idle.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts