RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Official 2020+ EcoDiesel Oil Recommendations

178K views 582 replies 54 participants last post by  OhioTech 
#1 · (Edited)
Updated on 4/07/2023

Recommendation: Do NOT rely solely on this list. Always double check to make sure the following oils are current in meeting factory specifications.

The new 3rd gen (2020+) EcoDiesel has different specs than the 2nd generation (2014 - 2019) engine. The following oils have been known to meet the new MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval. I put them in order based on what I think are more 'commonly known', not based on preference or performance.

I will update this thread as new approved oils are added and when existing approved oils no longer meet approval. So far, I had to remove Valvoline and Liqui Moly even though both met spec at one point in time.

Mopar 68524020AA 5W-40 replaces 68231020AA
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40
Valvoline Full Synthetic European Vehicle 5W-40
Havoline ProDS 5W-40
Castrol Edge Euro Car - 5W-40
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40

Motul 8100 C-clean 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40
TRIAX Euro LX 5W-40
TRIAX Euro Ultra VX 5W-40
Ravenol VST 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 SXR 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 FT 5W-40
AMALIE Elixir Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Millers Oil Trident Fully Synthetic 5W-40
Millers Oils XF LONGLIFE 5W-40
MPT Thirty-K True Synthetic High Performance 5W-40
CAM2 Blue Blood Elite Euro 5W-40
FUCHS TITAN Supersyn SAE 5W-40
Lubrication Engineers 5w40 Monolec Ultra Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil
REPSOL ELITE COSMOS HIGH PERFORMANCE 5W-40

The following manufacturers have given a verbal/written approval, but they have not and/or will not update the literature to reflect it.

Amsoil 5W-40 FS Synthetic European (EFM)
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40

See less See more
#4 ·
According to Amsoil, "For this 2020 Ram, the AMSOIL EFM meets the MOPAR MS-12991 specification. Our technical data sheet and product labels will reflect this when they are due for their next revision."

Reactions: Patroller8D
#6 ·
I'm double checking as well. I contacted Shell to verify and here's what they said, "If the vehicle calls for a product that meet MS 12991. Our Rotella product will NOT work in the application. The only product we have that meets the spec is the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil."

#10 · (Edited)
You're correct. I will add the Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40 to the list.

#16 ·
If you decided to pull a sample, I would like to see your UOA results with Red Line. I do a fair amount of towing, so I need an oil that's going to holdup well. I probably won't exceed 6,000 mile drain intervals, but peace of mind goes a long way. I'm planning to keep this truck for the long haul, so I'm interested to see which oils prove to be superior.

#22 ·
I removed both of those for now. Shell confirmed that none of their products met spec.

#23 ·
Interestingly, had an owner post a picture of the Valvoline bottle in a Facebook group - it says MS-12991 on the bottle - it’s VALVOLINE Advanced Full Synthetic MST 5W-40. It, however, lists ACEA C3. Which has me confused, as it should have to be A3/B4 to meet the spec. I’m really not sure with that one!

#26 ·
The Valvoline MST 5W-40 was listed to meet MS-12991, but I can't remember where I found it. I don't want to put out misinformation, though. But if MS-12991 is printed on the bottle, that is enough for me to put it back on the list.

#28 ·
OhioTech, let me know if you find out what the dealer is using (Mopar part number).

#29 ·
I can pull the number. It’s Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40.

Incidentally, Helix being the global arm of Shell, PDS sheets from Australia show it to be MS-12991 compatible in 2015, but Euro site does not show that compatibility.
In the US, it will be branded Pennzoil or Quaker State regardless....

#31 ·
I can pull the number. It’s Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40.
Does Ram sell it in a Mopar bottle or does it only come in the Pennzoil bottle? If it comes in the Mopar bottle, then we need to add the Mopar part # for the oil.

#409 ·
Here is their quote
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 7:01:35 AM
To: robyd@bellsouth.net <robyd@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Contact www.liqui-moly.com(EN)

Dear Roby,

thank you very much for contacting us and your interest in our LIQUI MOLY products.

Our Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 is suitable for use when Chrysler MS 12291 spec. is required or recommended to use.

We hope we could help you with our information. Should you have further questions regarding our products we would be very pleased to get contacted from you again.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

i. A. Steffen Niemietz
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-658
Mobil: +49 162 2815064
Fax: +49 731 1420-44658
steffen.niemietz@liqui-moly.de

LIQUI MOLY GmbH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4 | 89081 Ulm | GERMANY

www.liqui-moly.com

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost, Günter Hiermaier
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost, Günter Hiermaier

Es handelt sich bei dieser E-Mail um keinen Spam. Wir informieren Sie im Rahmen unserer Geschäftsbeziehung über Preise und Aktionen. Sollten Sie solche Informationen nicht wünschen, richten Sie Ihren formlosen Widerruf an: datenschutz@liqui-moly.de
This is no spam email. In the context of our business relation we inform you about our prices and promotions. If you do not want to receive such information, please send your informal revocation to: datenschutz@liqui-moly.de
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and its attachments are confidential, may be privileged and are intended only for the authorized recipients of the sender. None of this content may be downloaded, copied, reproduced, transmitted, stored, sold or distributed without the prior written consent of LIQUI MOLY. Unlawful publication of this content will result in an injunction to remove said content and legal consequences may follow. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and advise the sender by return e-mail.

TypeGeneral request
Your messageDoes the 5W40 Leichtlauf High Tech meet the MS 12291 spec? For VM Motori 3.0 eco diesel in 2020 Ram 1500 truck.
E-Mailrobyd@bellsouth.net
TitleMr.
FirstnameRoby
Family NameRoby
ZIP / City
CountryUnited States
ReCaptchavalidc

#38 ·
I initially thought the same - and phrased it similarly - the oil companies have made clear that these oils are specifically designed for light duty automobiles, including diesels. It’s optimized for the issues incurred with smaller engines, as opposed to the HD class oils that meet API C class and ACEA E class specifications, which are optimized for use in OTR trucks, and effectively have to prioritize different aspects of the performance due to their use cycle.

In fact, the majority of these oils were specifically developed for use in Renault, Volkswagen, Mercedes, and PSA diesels, and the specifications they have OE approvals for indicates that!

#47 ·
The Rotella T6 is a misprint in the 2020 manual. FCA said that Rotella T6 does not meet the minimum MS-12991 specifications.

#54 ·
The issue with some of these oils like Amsoil, Helix, Red Line, etc. is that they can go anywhere from $15 to $30 per quart. That's insane. Especially when you have to buy 9 quarts per oil cycle plus an extra for topping off until the next change. And, there isn't any evidence that one oil will cause an engine to last longer than the next if all oils involved meet the manufacturer spec.

#55 ·
The issue with some of these oils like Amsoil, Helix, Red Line, etc. is that they can go anywhere from $15 to $30 per quart. That's insane. Especially when you have to buy 9 quarts per oil cycle plus an extra for topping off until the next change.
For the EcoDiesel, you can buy the Amsoil 5W30 straight from their website for $6.85 and free shipping if you are a preferred customer. If you are not a preferred customer, then the cost is $9.45.

#56 ·
Red Line cost me $96 shipped for 9 quarts.
most of these oils are available via Amazon, and prices aren’t all bad.
The advantage to a Red Line oil - you won’t have to top it up in a 10K interval - and it won’t be marginal or bad at the end of it. Same with AMSOIL - I never had to add to my first EcoDiesel, or my Cummins, or my 6.4 (notorious for oil use) or my 2.4 Multi-Air (they also supposedly have consumption issues).

All of them were full at the end of a factory service interval.

#59 ·
For perspective, on the old version, IIRC, Signature Series Diesel 5w40 was under $9/qt Preferred customer pricing. About $8.50 in fact. I recall using 10.5 quarts per change, so buying 11 one time, and 10 the next. And it was $120-130 with the filter, which was $43.
I had no doubts about running it 10K!
25K was probably easily attainable with good results.
Compared to a lot of others, doing a change with $6/qt T6, every 5-6K, with a new filter - it was cheap, and far less work! I also had peace of mind knowing I used as good an oil as is made in my engine, and that lack of maintenance or oil quality wasn’t going to be the death of my truck!

I’m friends with an AMSOIL dealer, who has been providing the oil and sampling for a VW TDI customer, who agreed to run the oil to depletion based on analysis - 97K on the 5w40 Euro above, and the oil shows no signs of giving up! Samples every 2500 and top-off from the samples. He literally told me he’s cutting off the experiment at 100K, becauseven he didn’t think it would last that long!

So, at the end of the day, particularly with the Gen 3 filters running about $70, I’ll stick with my higher quality oils, and run the full 10K, and enjoy knowing my engine is well protected and will not have oil related issues!

#62 ·
So I have a Gen2 ED. Originally I wasn’t a fan of running the T6, always been a Mobil guy. Seems the general consensus is that the T6 isn’t fit for a 10k change interval. I’m not disputing there are better oils out there. But my last oil change was at 12k and still had a TBN of 4.8. Doesn’t seem to fit the narrative. I don’t do much towing and drive a lot of highway. What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#63 ·
You’re gentle on the oil!

And 4.0 is pretty effectively worn out for T6.
It will start seeing base metal wear increases when it falls below 4. Many people are getting near 4.0 @ 6K with how they use the truck.

I am not saying T6 is a bad oil. But many here aren’t trusting it to go 10K. I can promise you AMSOILwill laugh at only 10K, almost regardless of how you use the truck!