RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I haven't seen anywhere yet that posts the SAPS levels of the oils on page 1. Perhaps somebody should make a list. I was told that the Valvoline is a low SAPS oil. I was also told that the Pennzoil was recently reformulated. So in my mind there's no proof that these oils on page one are high SAPS oils until somebody puts together an actual list of specs for each oil.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I can update (edit) the front page to add the level of SAPS. From my understanding, the SAPS content in European oil is already low. With that said, some are lower than others. I think it's a legitimate question to look at. Let me know what data you find and I will update the front page.

Reactions: RideAK907

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, I will see what I can find. A quick looks indicated not all technical sheets provide ash content like the Motul, and honestly I have no idea if that is how one determines SAPS content.

I've decided that, while i research the oil i intend to use long term, i will use pennzoil euro that has appropriate certs on labeling for my first change (on sale at napa right now) and run UOAs on the first and second drain to see if oem is pennzoil. Hopefully by then i can make up my mind.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Laramie ECO 3:92 4X4 33gal tank
29 Posts
Is anyone having luck finding the proper oil to buy. I have found the Valvoline brand. However there is two different labels. One with the MS-12991 rating one without. What stinks is I can’t get a straight answer on what label is on the bottle when ordering online. My local parts stores and Walmart only have the label without the rating in stock. I haven’t seen the Pennzoil in the stores either ,which is fine I’m not a Pennzoil fan anyway. How about you guys where are you orderi g from?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
How about you guys where are you orderi g from?
I use Amsoil in just about everything I own, so that's where I get my oil. I won't have my truck for a few more weeks, but I plan to run Amsoil in that, too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does Amsoil have the correct rating? Also what oil change intervals are you going to run. I drive all easy highway miles not towing. I plan on doing my first oil change at 5k the second at 10k then every 10k and see how it goes. What is your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Does Amsoil have the correct rating? Also what oil change intervals are you going to run. I drive all easy highway miles not towing. I plan on doing my first oil change at 5k the second at 10k then every 10k and see how it goes. What is your thoughts?
Go back to the front page of this thread. The oils are listed with the MS-12991 certification; however, double check.

Yes, Amsoil has been confirmed as recently as last week. I'm going to see if the manual gives break-in directions. If not, then I'm planning to change the engine oil within the first 2,000 - 3,000 miles. After that, I will probably change the oil every 6 months or 6,000 miles, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the info Bio. I have been reading through this thread. Man for something simple as an oil change these new trucks are being a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think we all the information at our finger tips we tend to over think things a little bit.
years ago we just worried about what weight oil in summer and winter and assumed it was all the same.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Thanks for the info Bio. I have been reading through this thread. Man for something simple as an oil change these new trucks are being a pain in the rear.
You're very welcome, JP76. Welcome to the EPA.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
I think we all the information at our finger tips we tend to over think things a little bit.
years ago we just worried about what weight oil in summer and winter and assumed it was all the same.
I bought a new John Deere 1025R last year. Since the tractor is only rated for 25 horsepower, I don't have the tier 4 emissions on it like the 26+ horsepower tractors have. In other words, no regen system, DPF or DEF. I can run 15W-40, 10W-40, 10W-30, 0W-40 and 5W-30. It's easy!

Reactions: WXman

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I bought a kubota 1880 last year with the mower deck and front end loader.
Very nice! I love my sub-compact. I've already put it through a lot of use and abuse!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I'll be changing the John Deere 1025R to Amsoil 0W-40 and Amsoil oil filter at the one year mark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So first oil change, FUMOTO valve to be installed.....

As you may know, oil drain plug partially above crossmember and messes are made in videos.

As you probably figured out, a funnel may help. I think I picked this one up in a set from wally world. Has a lip that sort of sits on some coolant lines.

Cheers!!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got confirmation this morning that the Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 does meet MS-12991 and is safe to use in Gen 3 EcoDiesel. They are working to add the FCA cert. to the product information sheets for that oil at this time.

Apparently this oil is replacing the Valvoline MST 5W40 that was sold up until recently.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
29 Posts
I received the same info when I ordered quarts from Amazon that showed two different back labels.
82B9CFB9-1F3B-46D4-99AD-344F74A535D4.png

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
I got confirmation this morning that the Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40 does meet MS-12991 and is safe to use in Gen 3 EcoDiesel. They are working to add the FCA cert. to the product information sheets for that oil at this time.

Apparently this oil is replacing the Valvoline MST 5W40 that was sold up until recently.
Thank you for the updated information. I added the Valvoline Europmean 5W-40 to the front page and removed the Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic MST 5W-40.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So, based on information gleaned from ExxonMobil - although the spec is “High SAPS”, there’s a window for overlap between the C3 and A4/B4 oils.
The specification calls for like 1100 PPM of SAPS compounds, IIRC - so like, a high SAPS C3 can be between like 900 and 1100, and a low SAPS A3/B4 can be in that range also - they said it was more a mid-SAPS specification. Which is why I was seeing oils fall on both sides of that coin.
It’s apparently based on one of the MB 225.x specs. It’s SAPS window is smaller, and it’s a little less stringent on most everything else. But nearly every oil manufacturer I emailed about it told me that!

ExxonMobil flat out told me they have oils that will exceed this, but refused to provide recommendations as they would not be pursuing certification due to issues with the Shell/FCA tie-up. Castrol just basically told me they won’t be certified, and they wouldn’t recommend anything they have. Again, this appears to be getting back to licensing issues with the specifications....

I use Red Line - it’s overpriced, and less effective than the MOTUL or AMSOIL options, based on its composition. I use it because they sponsor friends.

AMSOIL, MOTUL, Repsol, are amongst the best choices. AMSOIL being easiest To find, and best overall bang for $$. MOTUL is top notch. Not too hard to find. Repsol is harder to get!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
AMSOIL, MOTUL, Repsol, are amongst the best choices. AMSOIL being easiest To find, and best overall bang for $$. MOTUL is top notch. Not too hard to find. Repsol is harder to get!
In short, buy Amsoil and don't look back! You're running Amsoil in your Wrangler EcoDiesel, right?

181 - 200 of 214 Posts