RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

341 - 359 of 359 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #343
Here are the results of my first factory oil change at 3700 miles. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
It looks pretty good for a break-in oil. Iron, copper, and aluminum are all wear metals and are expected to be higher on a break-in oil.

I find it interesting that the base number is 7.36. It would be interesting to know what the starting TBN is for that oil. For reference, Amsoil has a starting TBN of 10.1.

What oil did you replace it with?

Reactions: NewLove

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah the TBN struck me as being low as well. I replaced it with the rec'd Amsoil 5w40. If I remember correctly Matt H replaced his factory oil at around 1200 miles and TBN was much higher, maybe around 9?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Question, when preforming an oil change. Is it better to have the front or rear higher or level to get the most old oil out of this engine?..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
I replaced it with the rec'd Amsoil 5w40.
Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing some data from the Amsoil.

Yeah the TBN struck me as being low as well. If I remember correctly Matt H replaced his factory oil at around 1200 miles and TBN was much higher, maybe around 9?
You're correct. According to his UOA report, the oil had a 9.19 TBN. His oxidation was 8 and your oxidation was 9. The factory oil is dropping TBN pretty quickly, but the additive package seems to be holding up. I wouldn't want to take the factory fill to 10,000 miles, that's for sure.

The factory oil reminds me of Rotella T6. Rotella T6 drops TBN quickly in the 2nd gen EcoDiesel. If you look at the chart below, you can see that T6 dropped from 10.6 to 6.4 while Amsoil went from 10.4 to 8.8.

I run T6 in my 2015, but I change the oil at 6,000 mile intervals. You can see in the test below that Rotella dropped off into the 30 weight range after 200 hours whereas Amsoil stayed in the 40 weight range for the full 400 hour test.

Reactions: NewLove

·
Registered
149 Posts
Soooo.. first oil change in the books. Went pretty smooth. Made a mess with draining the oil around the bar. Installed the Fumoto valve. Went with the longer nipple and should have went with shorter one but still have a little room to slip on a tube for next time. Oil filter went on ok. Felt like I could have kept tightening it forever but got it pretty snug and gave up at some point. Didn’t want to risk cracking anything. Went and put in 2 Gallons, and then a half quart. Amsoil Euro 5w40. The last half quart I came up a little shy because I didn’t want to overfill. The dipstick sucks, but seems like the first third of crosshatching is covered. I will continue to check it and add a little more if needed. Engine sounds great so far. Honestly a little quieter maybe.. Thanks for all your help on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's only one recommendation from Amsoil and that would be Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic (EFM). And no, it won't have the MS-12991 on the label.

So hopefully this is a just a stupid issue:

I don't see "Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic (EFM)" available on amsoil.com, which currently reccomends "SAE 5W-40 FS Synthetic European Motor Oil." The only other European oil listed is a Mid-SAPS.

I imagine the full-SAPS (FS) is just the a rebranding of the "Classic" and the mid-SAPS is the "Improved." Anyone already address the issue? Or am I missing something

Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
So hopefully this is a just a stupid issue:

I don't see "Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic (EFM)" available on amsoil.com, which currently reccomends "SAE 5W-40 FS Synthetic European Motor Oil." The only other European oil listed is a Mid-SAPS.

I imagine the full-SAPS (FS) is just the a rebranding of the "Classic" and the mid-SAPS is the "Improved." Anyone already address the issue? Or am I missing something

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
EFM is the only oil that is recommended for the 3rd gen EcoDiesel engine. You must be looking at a different model year. Look up 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel and you will see the EFM.

Reactions: RideAK907

·
Registered
308 Posts
When I look up 2020 that’s what comes up

They must have changed the name and label. They have nothing that says European car formula. Even when I look up last
Years order of European car formula that I placed it brings up the European motor oil 5w-40

·
Registered
7 Posts
So first oil change, FUMOTO valve to be installed.....

As you may know, oil drain plug partially above crossmember and messes are made in videos.

As you probably figured out, a funnel may help. I think I picked this one up in a set from wally world. Has a lip that sort of sits on some coolant lines.

Cheers!!

Update.

FUMOTO valve i recieved wasn't what i ordered so didn't get installed, should have paid more attention when opening but not a huge deal.

UOA didnt get done because i forgot to get sample and mixed drain into other oils. Dumb but done so moving on.

Dip stick is a pain to read, especially with new oil, but Easier after quickly new/old mix.

Second change at 5k interval soon. Plan to UOA on current pennzoil fill. Trying valvoline this round, mainly because it under $5 on Amazon if you buy 15q and has the appropriate cert on labeling (hopefully. will confirm when arrives). Probably wont run even for 5k before change given price and some prior negative comments, but will UOA and update here later.

Motul then Amsoil thereafter. Leaning Motul long term, at least until Amsoil officially lists cert somewhere (at least during warranty period, stupid as that may be....)

Cheers all, stay safe.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Here are the results of my first factory oil change at 3700 miles. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
TBN of 7 is high after 3700 miles. The oil had a lot of life left. Any TBN over 2 still has active additives neutralizing acids.

·
Registered
281 Posts
TBN of 7 is high after 3700 miles. The oil had a lot of life left. Any TBN over 2 still has active additives neutralizing acids.
Red Line 5w40 starts at 7 - it was just over 5 at 10K....

Of course this oil starts near 11, possibly higher, and is at 7 in less than 4K - be interesting to see how it changed over the next 4K. Whether it’s loaded with soft base overbased detergents, or whether it has a hard based core that suddenly slows the drop...

·
Registered
572 Posts
Red Line 5w40 starts at 7 - it was just over 5 at 10K....

Of course this oil starts near 11, possibly higher, and is at 7 in less than 4K - be interesting to see how it changed over the next 4K. Whether it’s loaded with soft base overbased detergents, or whether it has a hard based core that suddenly slows the drop...
Most if not all oils drop TBN fast in the first x thousand miles of an OCI, the longer the interval goes on the slower the TBN continues to drop.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Most if not all oils drop TBN fast in the first x thousand miles of an OCI, the longer the interval goes on the slower the TBN continues to drop.
This is because most use a significant amount of soft based to raise the TBN - Red Line clearly has almost no soft based in their 5w40 blend.

341 - 359 of 359 Posts