RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

401 - 420 of 442 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Any clue what the issue would be with T-6 ? something must not be compatible maybe engine seals ?
I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, the guy who ran T6 went through two oil change intervals before the engine was destroyed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm not sure. If I remember correctly, the guy who ran T6 went through two oil change intervals before the engine was destroyed.
I doubt very much the T6 had anything what so ever to do with the mans engine blowing up. Oil companies like Shell are very much concerned with compatibility of their products T6 is easily satisfactory oil. My experience with Shell so far is if you call the 1-800 number you can talk with a knowledgeable oil person and if they can't answer a more technical question they will find somebody that can. I have been thinking of calling them to talk about maybe going to 15W-40 T6 and what benefit would I get if any.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #403 ·
I doubt very much the T6 had anything what so ever to do with the mans engine blowing up.
FCA confirmed that the engine failure was due to improper oil.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I doubt very much the T6 had anything what so ever to do with the mans engine blowing up. Oil companies like Shell are very much concerned with compatibility of their products T6 is easily satisfactory oil. My experience with Shell so far is if you call the 1-800 number you can talk with a knowledgeable oil person and if they can't answer a more technical question they will find somebody that can. I have been thinking of calling them to talk about maybe going to 15W-40 T6 and what benefit would I get if any.
You should call them last time I talked to them they were insanely vague and wouldn’t answer questions directly. But t6 is an okay oil but its just not great. Fca only chose it for the 2nd gens cause it was already in there oil lineup.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #405 ·
I contacted Shell last year to verify and here's what they said, "If the vehicle calls for a product that meet MS 12991. Our Rotella product will NOT work in the application. The only product we have that meets the spec is the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil."

Reactions: Roby

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #407 ·
First I have heard of this gotta link ? almost any oil even likely 10w-30 Harbour Freight econo-oil would give that sort of performance in average use.
It was posted in an EcoDiesel facebook group sometime last year back when the 2020 trucks were fairly new. Some dealers just assumed that T6 was the recommendation. I can't remember the mileage, but I was thinking the failure occurred around 24,000 miles. The factory oil would have been the proper spec, then he went two oils changes with the T6.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Any clue what the issue would be with T-6 ? something must not be compatible maybe engine seals ?
They called out coking due to internal pressure changes in the engine. Several YouTube videos of Gen2 engine failures indicate that was an issue on Gen2s with T6 potentially as well... perhaps not as bad as the issues with the original 5w30 oil.

·
Registered
2020 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
19 Posts
Liqui-Moly confirmed their Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 is suitable and meets the specification. I have asked if they can update the recommended for section of the website to include that.
Here is their quote
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 7:01:35 AM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Contact www.liqui-moly.com(EN)

Dear Roby,

thank you very much for contacting us and your interest in our LIQUI MOLY products.

Our Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 is suitable for use when Chrysler MS 12291 spec. is required or recommended to use.

We hope we could help you with our information. Should you have further questions regarding our products we would be very pleased to get contacted from you again.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

i. A. Steffen Niemietz
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-658
Mobil: +49 162 2815064
Fax: +49 731 1420-44658
[email protected]

LIQUI MOLY GmbH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4 | 89081 Ulm | GERMANY

www.liqui-moly.com

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost, Günter Hiermaier
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost, Günter Hiermaier

Es handelt sich bei dieser E-Mail um keinen Spam. Wir informieren Sie im Rahmen unserer Geschäftsbeziehung über Preise und Aktionen. Sollten Sie solche Informationen nicht wünschen, richten Sie Ihren formlosen Widerruf an: [email protected]
This is no spam email. In the context of our business relation we inform you about our prices and promotions. If you do not want to receive such information, please send your informal revocation to: [email protected]
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and its attachments are confidential, may be privileged and are intended only for the authorized recipients of the sender. None of this content may be downloaded, copied, reproduced, transmitted, stored, sold or distributed without the prior written consent of LIQUI MOLY. Unlawful publication of this content will result in an injunction to remove said content and legal consequences may follow. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and advise the sender by return e-mail.

TypeGeneral request
Your messageDoes the 5W40 Leichtlauf High Tech meet the MS 12291 spec? For VM Motori 3.0 eco diesel in 2020 Ram 1500 truck.
E-Mail[email protected]
TitleMr.
FirstnameRoby
Family NameRoby
ZIP / City
CountryUnited States
ReCaptchavalidc

·
Registered
332 Posts
And you were told the same! They seem like a genuinely good company - please get a Oil Analyzers test done after running it! I’m definitely curious to see the results!

Here is their quote
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 7:01:35 AM
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Contact www.liqui-moly.com(EN)

Dear Roby,

thank you very much for contacting us and your interest in our LIQUI MOLY products.

Our Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 is suitable for use when Chrysler MS 12291 spec. is required or recommended to use.

We hope we could help you with our information. Should you have further questions regarding our products we would be very pleased to get contacted from you again.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

i. A. Steffen Niemietz
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-658
Mobil: +49 162 2815064
Fax: +49 731 1420-44658
[email protected]

LIQUI MOLY GmbH
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4 | 89081 Ulm | GERMANY

www.liqui-moly.com

Amtsgericht Ulm HRB 1383 | Geschäftsführer: Ernst Prost, Günter Hiermaier
Court of registration Ulm, HRB 1383 | Managing Director: Ernst Prost, Günter Hiermaier

Es handelt sich bei dieser E-Mail um keinen Spam. Wir informieren Sie im Rahmen unserer Geschäftsbeziehung über Preise und Aktionen. Sollten Sie solche Informationen nicht wünschen, richten Sie Ihren formlosen Widerruf an: [email protected]
This is no spam email. In the context of our business relation we inform you about our prices and promotions. If you do not want to receive such information, please send your informal revocation to: [email protected]
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail and its attachments are confidential, may be privileged and are intended only for the authorized recipients of the sender. None of this content may be downloaded, copied, reproduced, transmitted, stored, sold or distributed without the prior written consent of LIQUI MOLY. Unlawful publication of this content will result in an injunction to remove said content and legal consequences may follow. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately and advise the sender by return e-mail.

TypeGeneral request
Your messageDoes the 5W40 Leichtlauf High Tech meet the MS 12291 spec? For VM Motori 3.0 eco diesel in 2020 Ram 1500 truck.
E-Mail[email protected]
TitleMr.
FirstnameRoby
Family NameRoby
ZIP / City
CountryUnited States
ReCaptchavalidc

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
93 Posts
I have a very hard time believing the story of T6 ruining that engine. It’s easy for FCA to blame their own problems on oil. There is nothing miraculous about an Ecodiesel engine. Oil spec generally is in place for three reasons: fuel economy, oil change interval, and in the case of a diesel...emissions after treatment items such as a DPF or EGR system. Even if the wrong oil was used, any failure should take years. Emissions system premature failure? Sure, maybe.

·
Registered
332 Posts
T6 supposedly has coking issues. Temperatures and pressures are not suited to its use.
This results in clogged oil passages - turbo and engine block feeds.

Looking at several videos running around of Gen2 failures, and seeing how many almost immediately lose a turbo right after an engine replacement, and vice versa - I suspect it was an issue on the older ones. Particularly when they were subjected to shut-downs immediately or during Regen frequently.

Look how many times you see the same person lose several engines...

I have a very hard time believing the story of T6 ruining that engine. It’s easy for FCA to blame their own problems on oil. There is nothing miraculous about an Ecodiesel engine. Oil spec generally is in place for three reasons: fuel economy, oil change interval, and in the case of a diesel...emissions after treatment items such as a DPF or EGR system. Even if the wrong oil was used, any failure should take years. Emissions system premature failure? Sure, maybe.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I doubt T6 has anything to do with engines failing or any sort of coking this is all from anecdotal information so far not something to loose sleep over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On another note, my truck now has a whopping 1600 miles on it and I noticed while checking the oil, it has fallen to just below the level of the hash marks on the dipstick. The oil is still remarkably clear for a diesel, but it apparently is consuming oil. That said, what is the easiest oil to get my hands on to "top off" the truck?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 · (Edited)
On another note, my truck now has a whopping 1600 miles on it and I noticed while checking the oil, it has fallen to just below the level of the hash marks on the dipstick. The oil is still remarkably clear for a diesel, but it apparently is consuming oil.
That's very common on the 3rd gen engine. The owner's manual states that oil consumption may happen during the first few thousand miles during the break-in process. Also, the manual recommends no towing and lower speed driving during the first 400 miles or so, but that's mainly due to the gears breaking in.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #417 ·
That said, what is the easiest oil to get my hands on to "top off" the truck?
I would think that Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 would be pretty easy to find. What you can't find on the shelf you can order online. It's easier for me just to order online and have it shipped to my door.

I just turned 3,000 miles on my 2020. I took delivery of the truck back in August of 2020. I'm planning to have the break-in oil changed at 4,000 miles. I still have one free dealer oil change, then I'll be switching to Amsoil 5W-40 FS Synthetic European (EFM).

Reactions: Jinx

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks biodiesel. I assumed the break-in period was the consumption issue. I will get a quart to keep it topped up. Do you know off-hand if the hatch area of the dipstick represents a full quart?

I didn't tow until roughly 1000 miles; tried to vary my RPM speeds a fair amount during that time. I like an engine that does not consume oil.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Thanks biodiesel. I assumed the break-in period was the consumption issue. I will get a quart to keep it topped up. Do you know off-hand if the hatch area of the dipstick represents a full quart?
I really don't know. The dipstick is somewhat difficult to read, so I've heard various things. Several people reported having to add between 1 - 1.5 quarts to their system.

I didn't tow until roughly 1000 miles; tried to vary my RPM speeds a fair amount during that time. I like an engine that does not consume oil.
The transmission and gears seem to take the most beating during the break-in period. Even at 4,000 miles, the engine UOAs look pretty good with the factory fill.

I would probably recommend changing the factory rear diff fluid at 25,000 miles. The OE transmission pan has several magnets on both sides of the pan, so it does a good job of catching all the metal sludge. If you're doing a lot of towing, I think a 50,000 mile transmission drain and fill interval is good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2019 RAM 3500 called for a transmission fluid change at 30k miles, towing or not. That seemed remarkably soon for an HD trans designed for towing.

401 - 420 of 442 Posts