RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
129 Posts
Makes sense. BTW, I have contacted FRAM regarding their 5w40 Synthetic Euro to determine for sure that it does meet MS-12991 standards. I'll post back when I hear from them.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #442 ·
It appears that Motul has done some reformulating. There are now three approved oils from them. I have updated the front page to reflect those changes.

Motul 8100 C-clean 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #444 ·
I have to go to Walmart and see it in person yet, but the website is showing a new quaker state MS-12991 oil.
There are several people who are using it in their Ram and Gladiator EcoDiesel. WXman will be posting a UOA at the end of his next interval.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Here's the virgin analysis on the Quaker State oil from Walmart.

Now I'll beat on this oil all summer and we'll see how it holds up.

Attachments

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Banned
18 Posts
Updated on 4/13/2021

Recommendation: Do NOT rely solely on this list. Always double check to make sure the following oils are current in meeting factory specifications.

The new 3rd gen (2020+) EcoDiesel has different specs than the 2nd generation (2014 - 2019) engine. The following oils have been known to meet the new MS-12991 and API SN Certification/Standard/Approval. I put them in order based on what I think are more 'commonly known', not based on preference or performance.

Mopar 68231020AA 5W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40
Valvoline European Vehicle 5W-40
FRAM Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Quaker State Ultimate Durability EURO 5W-40
Havoline ProDS 5W-40
Amsoil 5W-40 FS Synthetic European (EFM)
Redline Full Synthetic 5W-40

Motul 8100 C-clean 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40
Liqui Moly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40
TRIAX Euro LX 5W-40
TRIAX Euro Ultra VX 5W-40
Ravenol VST 5W-40
Total Quartz 9000 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 SXR 5W-40
ELF Evolution 900 FT 5W-40
AMALIE Elixir Full Synthetic Euro 5W-40
Millers Oil Trident Fully Synthetic 5W-40
Millers Oils XF LONGLIFE 5W-40
MPT Thirty-K True Synthetic High Performance 5W-40
CAM2 Blue Blood Elite Euro 5W-40
FUCHS TITAN Supersyn SAE 5W-40
Lubrication Engineers 5w40 Monolec Ultra Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil
REPSOL ELITE COSMOS HIGH PERFORMANCE 5W-40

I will update this thread as new approved oils are added.
I have been using Amsoil Signature Series 5w-40 Diesel Oil since my vehicle had 500 miles on it. I haven’t had one problem out of it.

·
Banned
18 Posts
It’s yours - you are welcome to use what you want - unicorn tears and dragon piss if you like. Nobody cares. For those looking for options compatible with the factory specifications - we contacted nearly every major oil supplier with an oil available in the states, and asked - and the list is posted.
Unicorn tears and dragon piss. Your just gullible and believe all this bs that Mopar is feeding you. I haven’t had one problem. Nobody cares about your list.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been using Amsoil Signature Series 5w-40 Diesel Oil since my vehicle had 500 miles on it. I haven’t had one problem out of it.
One post, you claim to have changed it yourself at 1000 miles with Euro FS, now another story.
I cannot help you have no clue…

·
Registered
2021 Ram Eco Diesel Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
58 Posts
I don’t know if anyone’s monitored their oil life on the first oil change long enough since some seem to dump it so early. It’s interesting to note that mine, @3200 miles new shows 50% oil life. The 2 main tows I did in the desert heat maybe put 600 miles on the truck. It was those 2 tows that drastically changed my oil life. I’d assume I have around 1000k total towing miles. So about 1/3 towing miles. If I keep doing trips this summer at this rate, the monitor might tell me to change it around 5k for all I know. Would be interesting to see how soon it wants a change but I plan to change the oil soon. Figured it’s had a couple good hot runs during its break in. So why not get her some new lube. The oil is looking pretty used at this point. Before my first big tow on Memorial Day weekend the oil looked great. Then after, not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #453 ·
I don’t know if anyone’s monitored their oil life on the first oil change long enough since some seem to dump it so early.
Here's my factory fill UOA.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here's my factory fill UOA.
Nice! I wasn’t going to test the first change but I’m debating now seeing my oil life read 50% already. Seeing that the truck saw conditions to lower the oil life so much. I’m curious to see what that looks like on paper.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #455 ·
Nice! I wasn’t going to test the first change but I’m debating now seeing my oil life read 50% already. Seeing that the truck saw conditions to lower the oil life so much. I’m curious to see what that looks like on paper.
I'm a little OCD, so I wanted to know. The factory fill sat in my engine for a year, so it was time to change it. I didn't have the oil consumption that some people experienced, but I also didn't drive the truck hard. It was mostly highway miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm a little OCD, so I wanted to know. The factory fill sat in my engine for a year, so it was time to change it. I didn't have the oil consumption that some people experienced, but I also didn't drive the truck hard. It was mostly highway miles.
haha yeah being OCD is a rough life! Never doing things the easy way. I’ve only consumed a little oil during brake in so far but the Manuel says it’s normal. My oil life monitor is at 50% at 3200 miles so im thinking she probably hates me. I’ll bring her to the day spa soon enough.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #457 ·
haha yeah being OCD is a rough life! Never doing things the easy way.
That describes me to a T!

I’ve only consumed a little oil during brake in so far but the Manuel says it’s normal. My oil life monitor is at 50% at 3200 miles so im thinking she probably hates me. I’ll bring her to the day spa soon enough.
It doesn't hurt to change the oil early. I'm glad I changed mine when I did.

Just for reference, my dealer ticket showed Mopar 68231020AA, which is Pennzoil Platnium Euro 5W-40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That describes me to a T!

Takes one to know one!

Just for reference, my dealer ticket showed Mopar 68231020AA, which is Pennzoil Platnium Euro 5W-40.
perfect thanks! That’s what I got for my top off. It took some back and forth while at the dealer to get confirmation of what was in the bottle. Parts guy was like uh I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who knew a simple half quart top of was so complicated. Don’t worry the guy that knew the most said it was fine to top off with any oil as long as it was same weight. I was like you really telling me to mix oil on my new truck with just anything… 😳 No wonder why people run into engine issues. The dealer might do what ever they want with it.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #459 ·
perfect thanks! That’s what I got for my top off. It took some back and forth while at the dealer to get confirmation of what was in the bottle. Parts guy was like uh I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who knew a simple half quart top of was so complicated. Don’t worry the guy that knew the most said it was fine to top off with any oil as long as it was same weight. I was like you really telling me to mix oil on my new truck with just anything… 😳 No wonder why people run into engine issues. The dealer might do what ever they want with it.
Yeah, it's frustrating. I've had dealers put "Rotella T6" on the ticket for the 2015, which is nice. My current dealer now puts Mopar part #68218066AB, which I feel is misleading.

I have one more free oil change on my 2020, then I'm done dealing with the dealer for oil changes. It's too much headache. Plus, I worry if they're doing a good job. Are they over torqueing the drain plug? Did they install the oil filter correctly? How much contamination did they allow into the engine by using a dirty oil funnel?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just bought Valvoline European Vehicle 5W-40 and not showing the MS-12291 certification on the back. Has anyone else used this?

441 - 460 of 481 Posts