RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
461 - 480 of 481 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
Just bought Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 and not showing the MS-12291 certification on the back. Has anyone else used this?
Yes, that's what the dealer uses. Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 is Mopar 68231020AA.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
Just spoke to Valvoline, they said they do not have any products they can recommend to cover MS-12291.
If that is true, then Valvoline has reformulated. The MS-12291 was printed on their bottle.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
That was why I bought it. When I saw it was missing, I called them to make sure
Since you heard directly from Valvoline, I'll remove their products off the first page. Thank you for finding the discrepancy and making the phone call to verify.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since you heard directly from Valvoline, I'll remove their products off the first page. Thank you for finding the discrepancy and making the phone call to verify.
Went to Walmart to see if any of the other items on the list are available before ordering Pennzoil from Amazon and noticed that the Valvoline containers do include the spec listed. For me I would rather pay the slight premium since their rep specifically stated they don't have a product that meets that spec.

·
Registered
2020 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
35 Posts
Liqui-Moly confirmed their Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 is suitable and meets the specification. I have asked if they can update the recommended for section of the website to include that.
While reading the description for this oil I noticed that the manufacturer says this oil is for diesel and gasoline engines WITHOUT DPF. Now I’m worried that it may be a mistake. Any thoughts? See link

·
Registered
2020 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
35 Posts
While reading the description for this oil I noticed that the manufacturer says this oil is for diesel and gasoline engines WITHOUT DPF. Now I’m worried that it may be a mistake. Any thoughts? See link

Here is their oil search guide. I have asked them the question above about DPF.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Some of these companies are notorious about not listing the standard, but saying their product is suitable for meeting spec. Or, they are reformulating and changing their product spec. Since MS-12291 was a new spec, I was giving manufacturers some grace. But now that time has passed, I won't be so lenient on the front page of this thread.

Rob, I removed Leichtlauf Liqui Moly High Tech SAE 5W-40 from the first page since it doesn't currently meet specs. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good afternoon oil knowledgeable aficionados, What is the difference between the labeling on an oil that says:
Approvals....
Performances.....
under approvals MS is not listed,
under performances MS is listed
Thank you for clearing this up,

·
Registered
10 Posts
The mileage I expect to put on my new Ram is pretty low, so I expect to do an oil change once a year. How long is the shelf life of oil. I am putting an order together for Amsoil and was thinking of ordering 3 cases of 12 using their preferred customer program. Less than 8.00 a qt. However is it wise to leave it set on the shelf for 3 years.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
The mileage I expect to put on my new Ram is pretty low, so I expect to do an oil change once a year. How long is the shelf life of oil. I am putting an order together for Amsoil and was thinking of ordering 3 cases of 12 using their preferred customer program. Less than 8.00 a qt. However is it wise to leave it set on the shelf for 3 years.
I let oil sit on the shelf for 2 years, but that's about the limit. I've read that engine oils can have a shelf life up to 5 years, but proper storage is critical. I store engine oil in the garage and DEF in the house at room temperatures. If I were to keep oil for more than 2 years, I would recommend storing it in the house.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It appears that Motul has done some reformulating. There are now three approved oils from them. I have updated the front page to reflect those changes.

Motul 8100 C-clean 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess 5W-40
Motul 8100 X-cess gen2 5W-40
While it's true that X-cess and X-clean are both MS-12991 certified, I personally plan to start using X-clean. Reason being that X-clean is <0.8% sulfated ash content whereas X-cess is 1.1%. The X-clean will keep your MAP sensor and emissions system more soot-free over time. Just my $0.02.

I'm still running the Quaker State oil for the rest of this year to see how it holds up out of curiosity and for more data. I've got 2 more jugs of it left. Beginning in 2022 I'll be running Motul X-clean exclusively unless the pricing on it goes nuts or it becomes impossible to find.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
While it's true that X-cess and X-clean are both MS-12991 certified, I personally plan to start using X-clean. Reason being that X-clean is <0.8% sulfated ash content whereas X-cess is 1.1%. The X-clean will keep your MAP sensor and emissions system more soot-free over time. Just my $0.02.
Sounds logical.

I'm still running the Quaker State oil for the rest of this year to see how it holds up out of curiosity and for more data. I've got 2 more jugs of it left.
I'm looking forward to seeing your Quaker State UOAs.

·
Registered
2020 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
35 Posts
Some of these companies are notorious about not listing the standard, but saying their product is suitable for meeting spec. Or, they are reformulating and changing their product spec. Since MS-12291 was a new spec, I was giving manufacturers some grace. But now that time has passed, I won't be so lenient on the front page of this thread.

Rob, I removed Leichtlauf Liqui Moly High Tech SAE 5W-40 from the first page since it doesn't currently meet specs. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Liqui-Moly wrote back to me requesting the owner’s manual which I sent. Then they wrote back confirming that it Does meet the specs.

Dear Sir

thank you very much for this informations. So that specification fits also to the matching Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40. So they developed the DPF system without recommending a special oil for that. Ford sometimes also didi it like that. No worries, you can go with Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40.

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

i. A. Stephan Weissinger
Anwendungstechniker
application engineer

F & E / Anwendungstechnik

Phone: +49 731 1420-623
Mobil: +49 174 3085323
Fax: +49 731 1420-44623
[email protected]

461 - 480 of 481 Posts