RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
501 - 520 of 583 Posts
Hey Wxman,

Thanks for the advice as well. As an aircraft mechanic and pilot...so I fix em and break em...lol, I understand things break down. That is one of the reasons I am making sure I get good information. From what I have read, previous generations of this motor had their share of issues, but if taken care of properly many of the problems the some owners saw, many did not.

I will definitely look into the Motul oil and had already planned on doing my first oil change at 1500 to 3000 miles and every 7 to 8K going forward.

You mentioned the GDE tune and I agree that s a great idea, but I thought they did not have one quite ready for the Gen 3 motor?

Thanks again for the reply

Discussion starter · #502 ·
You mentioned the GDE tune and I agree that s a great idea, but I thought they did not have one quite ready for the Gen 3 motor?
The gen 3 tune should be up on the website and ready to purchase in the coming weeks.

Discussion starter · #504 ·
Oh nice...I will have to keep an eye out for it. Does that void your warranty on a leased vehicle?
You always run the risk of voiding warranty with an aftermarket tune. It's up to you to weigh the risk. I have the GDE EPA Compliant Tune on my 2015, but I didn't install it until I had 93,000 miles on the truck. I won't install the GDE EPA Compliant Tune on my 2020 until it comes with a handheld device.

GDE changes the fuel injection mapping and also uses the low pressure side of the EGR 99% of the time. That's why the GDE tune should make the engine run a lot cleaner. Less sooting of the MAP sensor and everything else downstream.

When I do the math on it, I figure the fuel economy benefit (tested at 10% which matches my prior experience with GDE tuning) will make the tune pay for itself in 3-5 years depending on miles traveled. So let's say you pay $1,100 for a GDE tune today. Well in roughly 4 years it has paid for itself in fuel savings and after that every month that goes by is extra money in your pocket. This on top of the benefit of a cleaner engine that has more power.

Just joined this forum.

And to second what was stated earlier about AMSOil. I questioned them about their Euro oil for the TD -- yes it meets the new standard but their documentation has not been updated yet. This was the end of Oct 21.

Man U Guy's are chatty Patties when it comes to oil. Bit I believe to much info is better than not enough.

My 21 with 2668 miles -- cold oil is about 1/8" above the add mark cold. Assume it will grow some when hot but do not think it could be burning that much in this few miles.

I am a firm believer in frequent/timely oil changes, I might be interested in joining the oil sampling if it is not cost prohibitive.

I will be one of those 10k on the dot with new filter changers. Will be using the AMSOil 5w40 Euro oil. At least as close as possible since I change my own.

Fumoto drain valves -- anyone figured out which one works best? My drain hole is perfectly aligned with the back edge of the Transmission support.

I think either
F106N Straight w/long nipple
F106N 90 degree elbow

would work just eyeballing it.

Fumoto drain valves -- anyone figured out which one works best? My drain hole is perfectly aligned with the back edge of the Transmission support.

I think either
F106N Straight w/long nipple
F106N 90 degree elbow

would work just eyeballing it.
I use the F106S. The short nipple is perfect for a short hose to attach. A lot of guys complain about the crossmember being "in the way" but it's not, it's actually offset a bit from the drain plug on the oil pan and isn't an issue.

Thanks WXman. I ordered the long version of that one. Their website does not list the dimensions but I found them on Amazon's listings. Should have sufficient clearance even with the long nipple.

I live in MN where temps can range from 90F to -30F. Are you still running the same Euro 5w40 for all seasons? I don't see that a lot of oil companies offering a 15w40 for summer.

Thx in advance!

Discussion starter · #513 ·
I live in MN where temps can range from 90F to -30F. Are you still running the same Euro 5w40 for all seasons? I don't see that a lot of oil companies offering a 15w40 for summer.
The 5W-40 will protect your engine for all seasons. (y)

I have a 2021 ecodiesel. I changed the oil myself at 3500 miles with Pennzoil Euro 5w-40. I decided that for the 2nd oil change (today 11/30/2021), I would use the complimentary dealer "first 3 oil change services are free" program. When I got home, I see the dealer installed 9 quarts of FRAM F935 5w-40 Euro oil. From what I can tell, this oil does NOT meet the Chrysler MS-991 spec. How upset should i be? I would have thought by 11/2021, dealers would know what oil is required for this motor.
Wayne

Discussion starter · #516 ·
I have a 2021 ecodiesel. I changed the oil myself at 3500 miles with Pennzoil Euro 5w-40. I decided that for the 2nd oil change (today 11/30/2021), I would use the complimentary dealer "first 3 oil change services are free" program. When I got home, I see the dealer installed 9 quarts of FRAM F935 5w-40 Euro oil. From what I can tell, this oil does NOT meet the Chrysler MS-991 spec. How upset should i be? I would have thought by 11/2021, dealers would know what oil is required for this motor.
Wayne
I would address your concerns and ask that your oil be changed ASAP to an oil that is approved by Ram (MS-12991 specs).

Wayne
I am probably more lax on this issuethan some, but I wouldn't worry about it. I have some of this same oil that I was planning to use next change.

I know Advance Auto isn't a definitive authority, but when you search for compatible oil on their site, it recommends the FRAM F935:
Exact Fit
for your
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie
FRAM FULL SYN EURO FORMULA 5W-40; Canada, United States; Temp: All TEMPS ; OEM: Chrysler Material Standard MS-12991 ; Service Notes:With Filter Change 8.45 Quarts Note: After refill check oil level. Top off to proper level as needed.; 9 Req.

-We also know that it meets these standards:
ACEA: C3 API: SN, SM, SL, GM: dexos2, BMW: Longlife-04, Mercedes-Benz: 229.31, 229.51, Volkswagen: 502 / 505, Chrylser: MS-10850
I know that the Dexos2 approval in specific means that it is a low SAPS oil and works well with DPF systems. All the other Euro standards tell me it probably isn't too far off for our Italian engines.

So, I guess, do what you'd like, but I personally wouldn't worry about using it. Maybe just keep the receipt where your dealer put it in if you want to be a bit paranoid.

I am probably more lax on this issuethan some, but I wouldn't worry about it. I have some of this same oil that I was planning to use next change.

I know Advance Auto isn't a definitive authority, but when you search for compatible oil on their site, it recommends the FRAM F935:
Exact Fit
for your
2021 Ram 1500 Laramie
FRAM FULL SYN EURO FORMULA 5W-40; Canada, United States; Temp: All TEMPS ; OEM: Chrysler Material Standard MS-12991 ; Service Notes:With Filter Change 8.45 Quarts Note: After refill check oil level. Top off to proper level as needed.; 9 Req.

-We also know that it meets these standards:
ACEA: C3 API: SN, SM, SL, GM: dexos2, BMW: Longlife-04, Mercedes-Benz: 229.31, 229.51, Volkswagen: 502 / 505, Chrylser: MS-10850
I know that the Dexos2 approval in specific means that it is a low SAPS oil and works well with DPF systems. All the other Euro standards tell me it probably isn't too far off for our Italian engines.

So, I guess, do what you'd like, but I personally wouldn't worry about using it. Maybe just keep the receipt where your dealer put it in if you want to be a bit paranoid.
Even though the Advanced Auto vehicle finder lists Fram F935 as the "correct oil" for the latest ecodiesel motor, the MS-12991 spec is NOT listed on the bottles/jugs of the F935 5W-40 euro formula. Only the MS-10850 spec is listed on the bottle.

Discussion starter · #519 ·
Even though the Advanced Auto vehicle finder lists Fram F935 as the "correct oil" for the latest ecodiesel motor, the MS-12991 spec is NOT listed on the bottles/jugs of the F935 5W-40 euro formula.
The last time I checked, the MS-12991 wasn't listed on Fram's website, either.

Even though the Advanced Auto vehicle finder lists Fram F935 as the "correct oil" for the latest ecodiesel motor, the MS-12991 spec is NOT listed on the bottles/jugs of the F935 5W-40 euro formula. Only the MS-10850 spec is listed on the bottle.
Agreed, but part of your original question was "How upset should i be?" - and based on all the other info on the bottle it is extremely unlikely this oil will cause you any issues... I wouldn't make a fuss over it.

If they would have dumped in a standard CJ4 5w-40, that would be a different thing. The verbiage on the F935 bottle that tells me it is "pretty darn close" to what we should have: 5w-40, ACEA C3, Full Synthetic, "meets the performance requirements of many Eupean OEM specifications", "protect emissions control systems including diesel particulate filters".

501 - 520 of 583 Posts