RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

161 - 180 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
I did 10k miles on factory fill. Then had dealer do their pennzoil fill. Then I did Amsoil euro at 18k. Then yesterday morning I’m on my second Amsoil euro change at 28k miles. And have enough Amsoil euro for another change in 2 months at 38k. Might see if they’ll exchange it.

I figured it’s fine it meets fca specs. But they probably feel weird marketing a euro bmw Porsche oil for a diesel truck and changed their recommendation
Wow, 10K on your factory fill! That's some dirty oil, my friend. I probably won't go more than 3,000 miles on my factory fill. There's a lot of junk in the system.

You're logging the miles! You're one of the pioneers leading the way with the Gen. III engine. Have you considered taking UOA samples?

Amsoil recommends the very best oil for your application. They only make recommendations based on the specs that FCA/VM Motori gives them. When a new engine is released, it's very common for specs to change in the first 12 months after the engine is released. Amsoil might change a formula and/or the manufacturer might change their specs as more information is known about the engine. Emissions alone can cause the OEM to change specs.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I will send a sample from my next oil drain to black stone for an analysis. I will have 60k miles after 1 year of ownership. 90 percent highway at 75-80mph
Please post your UOA once you receive it. That's valuable information.

60K after one year! Do you know anyone on the forum who is logging miles faster than you are? As far as I know, you're the mileage leader, and I don't mean fuel mileage leader, lol.

Any problem so far with your truck/engine?

·
Registered
220 Posts
No truck or engine problems to date.
Like I mentioned 90 percent highway. Then local driving pulling a 4-5k enclosed construction trailer a couple days a week. But short trips with the trailer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just to see if I could pick their brains, I sent Shell an email to ask about Rotella T6 vs. Pennzoil Euro 5W40. Which would actually be healthier for a light duty diesel? They were very responsive and helpful until the point where they asked for pics from my owners manual and I showed them how it listed both oils. :) Since then, crickets.

Guess they don't want to enter a dog in this fight either.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Just to see if I could pick their brains, I sent Shell an email to ask about Rotella T6 vs. Pennzoil Euro 5W40. Which would actually be healthier for a light duty diesel? They were very responsive and helpful until the point where they asked for pics from my owners manual and I showed them how it listed both oils. :) Since then, crickets.

Guess they don't want to enter a dog in this fight either.
I think it boils down to the MS-12991 recommendation. Nobody really knows how these oils compare until oil samples (with similar driving patterns) are taken and compared. A lot of the oil recommendations, especially on modern diesels, are based on emissions and emissions components.

Now that Amsoil is recommending the Signature Series Max Duty, that makes me feel better. The Signature Series is probably by far the best American diesel oil that you will find for the EcoDiesel, and probably just as good, if not better, than most of the European oils. Without question, that will be my choice moving forward.

Reactions: Arvid

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it boils down to the MS-12991 recommendation. Nobody really knows how these oils compare until oil samples (with similar driving patterns) are taken and compared. A lot of the oil recommendations, especially on modern diesels, are based on emissions and emissions components.

Now that Amsoil is recommending the Signature Series Max Duty, that makes me feel better. The Signature Series is probably by far the best American diesel oil that you will find for the EcoDiesel, and probably just as good, if not better, than most of the European oils. Without question, that will be my choice moving forward.
glad I have a fumoto valve on my oil pan. I’ll be draining this oil soon as my new Shipment arrives.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
glad I have a fumoto valve on my oil pan. I’ll be draining this oil soon as my new Shipment arrives.
Oh, you have a fumoto valve..... Those are nice! I need to add one to my list! The valve and the hose made oil changes less messy. I literally would drain the fluid in 1 gallon jugs, cap, and take to Walmart to dispose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hopefully the front page is still accurate and the Valvoline MST 5W-40 still meets spec, Napa has it on sale for $5.50/quart. Access and decent price of many of these oils is an issue in the middle of nowhere where I live. But I think everyone has a Napa close to them.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Hopefully the front page is still accurate and the Valvoline MST 5W-40 still meets spec, Napa has it on sale for $5.50/quart. Access and decent price of many of these oils is an issue in the middle of nowhere where I live. But I think everyone has a Napa close to them.
If there's one thing that COVID-19 taught us, ordering online may not only be the easiest method, but it very well could be the cheapest method. I buy all my oil and filters online.

Reactions: Arvid

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where are you buying your oil and filters? I saw on the other thread that the part number didn't match the filter I just used to do my first oil change...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Where are you buying your oil and filters? I saw on the other thread that the part number didn't match the filter I just used to do my first oil change...
I'm buying all my filters from www.dieselfiltersonline.com and my engine oil from Amsoil. I responded to your post. I honestly don't know why part numbers vary. I wished I did. As long as the filter is a Mopar part that comes in a Mopar box, then I'm not too concerned about it. But you are right for asking the question.

·
Registered
258 Posts
did my oil change with penzoil euro 5L cost me 29 CAD , i bought 5 cans for future , filter from dealer 70CAD , labor 20$ , so mine total is 29+29+70+20 ~ 150 canadian dollars

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Amsoil just switched again to the European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic (EFM). I will go back and update the first page again. I asked Amsoil who is making these changes. They said that FCA is making the changes. Amsoil updates their recommendations every Monday based on manufacturers specs.

Reactions: mat_haas

·
Registered
220 Posts
Amsoil just switched again to the European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic (EFM). I will go back and update the first page again. I asked Amsoil who is making these changes. They said that FCA is making the changes. Amsoil updates their recommendations every Monday based on manufacturers specs.
can you ask Amsoil what the difference is between their euro or their heavy duty diesel?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
can you ask Amsoil what the difference is between their euro or their heavy duty diesel?
The difference would be in the formula which includes base stock, additives, viscosity, and emissions system protection. It will be interesting to see if FCA sticks with their latest recommended specs or if they expand it. Amsoil will list multiple oils if they all meet or exceed specs, but right now, the 5W-40 European Car Formula Classic ESP Synthetic is the only oil that meets FCAs specs.

The GM 3.0L Duramax is perhaps more complicated. GM won't release their specs. You have to buy oil only from the dealer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got another jug of it in the mail last week, and it's stamped MS-12991 on the jug. I get it in the 5-quart jug to save even more money. It's by far the least expensive and most readily available Gen 3 EcoDiesel oil on the market right now.

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recap ... request ... question.

RECAP --

Based on this thread and others (thanks!), I now know:
1) the required/recommended oil (MS-12991 and API SN);
2) the products listed in the updated first post meet such requirements, as stated on the labeling, product docs, or through communications with producers (although some have been reformulated and have yet to receive certification/licenses) (and it may be wisest to only use oil with certs on label);
3) most/all listed products are high quality, although some prefers for certain brands; and
4) FCA's decision to use high/higher SAPS oil isnt entirety clear, nor is the oil's long term effect on the DPF (although listed oils are specifically manufactured for euro light duty diesels and have been around for some time) (and where one knowledgeable person opined that the dpf would not be materially effected).

REQUEST--

Correct? Did I miss anything, especially enlight of the following....

QUESTIONS--

1) Given the SAPS issue, is there any merit to the arugment that a oil meeting ACEA C3 is potentially better than an oil meeting AVEA A3/B4?

For example Motul 8100 X clean appears to be API SN, ACEA C3, and MS 12991 (does it, not seeing it on the specs linked at 8100 X-clean 5W-40 - Motul (attached)), as well as MB 229.51 and Porsche A40.

Would this oil's lower SAPS and high certs make this a potentially better product when compared to an otherwise similar (i know, not likely) ACEA A3/B4?

Finally, how does ACEA E9 compare with regard to SAPS, if at all?

Fyi - i am trying to decide between amsoil, pennzoil, valvoline, redline, and motul (in no particular order and I can be persuaded otherwise).

Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

161 - 180 of 213 Posts