RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started this thread in hopes that we can build upon it and create our own FAQ and application help section that is specific to our 3.0L diesel engine.

AlfaOBD is a software for FCA group cars diagnostics. Fiat/Alfa Romeo/Lancia cars produced in 1994-2017, and Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep cars of model years 2005-2017 are supported. Although the software is primarily targeted for car owners, it provides many of the features of professional scanners.

Model years starting in 2018 are also fully supported currently with the aid of a bypass module. Personally I have a 2014 Ram Eco Diesel so I do not have a use for a bypass module. It would be great for those have supported vehicles in the model years starting in 2018 if they could also post about there experiences using a bypass module.

AlfaOBD natively supports Electronic control units installed in FCA group cars. Native support differs AlfaOBD from many other diagnostic applications providing OBD II generic support limited with engine and transmission modules. The application suite is powerful giving the user control of many of the same functions in the professional WiTech II tool that most Ram dealers use.

AlfaOBD is supported on Windows PC and Android devices. The official web site of Alfaobd is: AlfaOBD

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is there a specific reader or one that works best with our trucks?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently, the OBDLink LX, MX or the new MX+ work the best.

The MX and MX+ access more features. The LX seems to work for most of the BCM stuff as well as other modules.

More information on the supported readers is on the AlfaOBD home page.

·
Administrator
8,678 Posts
The MX and MX+ are the same except the MX+ will work on Android plus the iPhone. Keep in mind the AlphaOBD doesn't work on the iPhone.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Apparently, the OBDLink LX, MX or the new MX+ work the best.

The MX and MX+ access more features. The LX seems to work for most of the BCM stuff as well as other modules.

More information on the supported readers is on the AlfaOBD home page.
I was specifically looking for something that can do a forced re - gen. I don't think that the MX can do that.
At least I never saw it when I was using one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was specifically looking for something that can do a forced re - gen. I don't think that the MX can do that.
At least I never saw it when I was using one.
What version of AlfaOBD do you have? Reads like you are running on Android. If so, what version of Android are you running.

I will have to verify but I believe with the newest version of AlfaOBD it is possible to use a LX and a MX+ to perform a forced re-gen. Maybe on the MX it is not possible. I only have the LX and MX+.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the MX and run Alfa on my Samsung tablet. I believe that I can see the entire suite. My problem is I don't know what I don't know. My truck is a 2017 but when I connect it displays as a 2016. It is an early 17 so that may explain that. Navigating the menus has been difficult and I hope those with more experience will share their knowledge.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Why would the bluetooth OBD2 adapter limit what you see in the AlfaOBD app? If it syncs, you should have full functionality.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why would the bluetooth OBD2 adapter limit what you see in the AlfaOBD app? If it syncs, you should have full functionality.
Because the pin outs on the adapters could be different. There is a standard protocol for certain pins. I believe all OBD2 compliant readers should follow this standard. That allows basic functionality.

How the rest of the pins are wired will determine if they can read more than one CAN bus and K lines.

The AlfaOBD website has more info on this.

http://www.alfaobd.com/AlfaOBD_Android_Help.pdf

·
Registered
928 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What version of AlfaOBD do you have? Reads like you are running on Android. If so, what version of Android are you running.

I will have to verify but I believe with the newest version of AlfaOBD it is possible to use a LX and a MX+ to perform a forced re-gen. Maybe on the MX it is not possible. I only have the LX and MX+.
I don't have the Alfa. I was using the MX+ but haven't used it for a year now. So I would need both?

·
Administrator
8,678 Posts
I don't have the Alfa. I was using the MX+ but haven't used it for a year now. So I would need both?
Yes you will need AlphaOBD and a reader. The MX+ will definitely work, but you will have to install AlphOBD on an Andeoid device.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone been using AlfaOBD on a laptop? I take it everywhere, and would rather use my laptop. It won't connect right away though. I have an pre-activated key, but if I have to use an android device I'll wait, and try to trade in my key for an android key.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Has anyone been using AlfaOBD on a laptop? I take it everywhere, and would rather use my laptop. It won't connect right away though. I have an pre-activated key, but if I have to use an android device I'll wait, and try to trade in my key for an android key.
I’ve been using AlfaOBD on a SurfacePro running windows 10. No complaints here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Screenshot 2019-03-04 19.18.40.png

Who knows what I'm doing wrong? I've gotten OBDWiz to connect to the truck, but AlfaObd won't. I'm using an MX+, and I think I followed John's instructions. It's version 2.0.6.6

1 - 20 of 82 Posts