RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

[OFFICIAL] Torque Pro App thread

354K views 578 replies 124 participants last post by  Clone 
#1 ·
Post here guys!

Reactions: Heado and Rambones
#3 ·
actually i think it is really valuable because it frees up my EVIC for other things. I set up on my LG2 two different screens:

- one screen has Cat temp, EGT, Boost
- got the plugin that allows you to record using camera with gauge overlay
- changed to miles, mpg, Ft/lb, F degrees

would like to find fuel rail pressure PID

would like to understand a few more gauges and what else i should be looking at...

#8 ·
How are you displaying your mounting your cell phone so you can see the info?

#5 ·
I don't know what a ODB2 is. I do know what a OBD2 is though. Hukt hon foniks wurkt foor me. LOL. Just given you shiit man.

#6 ·
Where do ya find the EGT temp plugin for torque?

#9 ·
I use the stock 8.4 display. I got the lockpick air v2 which allows me to stream content from my phone to the stock screen....now if it was only touchscreen capable when streaming from the phone!

#10 ·
$30 well spent, I hope.

I just purchased the Torque Pro app for Android from the google play store.

I'm waiting on the bluetooth connector I ordered from Amazon.

I have an old google Nexus One Android phone, so I figured I'd put it to use. I'm looking forward to seeing the data while towing.

I plan to get the Track Recorder plugin later on as well.

I'm looking for the DPF soot % full PID. If anyone knows where I might find that, please post it here.

Thanks

#12 ·
Also, for we NA EcoDiesel owners, I think a lot of us have been missing out on the DPF % capacity PID that our Antipodean friends have been using to track their DPF Failgen issues. Thanks goes to Steve1307.

This Torque PID works well on NA EcoDiesels.

PID: 018B
Long Name: DPF Capacity
Short Name: DPF %
Minimum value: 0
Maximum value: 100
Scale Factor: 1x
Unit Type: %
Equation: (C*100)/255

A few notes: apparently the reading does *not* drop during a regen, because the system stops measuring the pressure diff while the regen is in process. Instead, what will happen is the value will instantaneously change the moment the regen is complete. For example, mine dropped from 100% to 9.4% in one second after not budging from 100% during the 12.5 minutes of the regen (regen mode as determined by the characteristic CAT/EGR/DPF temp excursion). Also, for those of you with ScanGauges, you can probably convert this to an XGauge code if you want.

I'm experimenting to see if some of the other PIDs will give engine hours, turbo actual boost, etc.
I've tried this PID for DPF %, but not sure if what I see is true, or this PID won't work on the RAM.

#14 ·
I checked to make sure I had it entered correctly, but still a no go. Just shows 100%. I drove on the highway for about 25 miles and monitored the temps and it didn't look like a re-gen was happening.

Is that PID that is working for you exactly as above?

Thanks for any help.

#16 ·
Thanks Burro.
I hooked it up again today and it showed 100%. This time about 20 seconds after I got on the highway at speed, the Cat temp went up to 1,100 and stayed up there for about 10 miles then dropped down to match the EGT. The DPF went to 9%, so it is working the way it should.
Happy I am.

#20 ·
Thanks, loaded my first custom PID from post 12 and just read DPF%100 for short trip.

Later in the evening had to travel an hour both ways with hwy speed limits of 65 mph.

On way to meeting, non hwy route, %DPF100
EGT1 was working and had alert to flash above 950
Cat B1S1 was being monitored also.

Was able to see EGT1 get above 900 a few times.

On the way home was able to cruise at higher speeds of 65 mph posted speed limit.

After about 1/2 hr cruising Torque app starts flashing , dials are showing all the way to right, then DPF takes a big jump to 0.

and stayed at 0 for the rest of the ride home.

Guess it is working.

;-)

between APP and obdll reader, best under 10 bucks spent for the money.

now i see the free video app ad on.....have it loaded need to go for a ride...

;-)

#29 ·
Cool. I need this now. Which Bluetooth OBD-II reader did you use with your app?

#27 ·
I've never used Torque but I think the equations below will work. You might have to change the short name if it is too long. I haven't checked the average time lately but my average distance is 273km.

Long Name: DPF REGEN AVGT
Short Name: DPF AVGT
Maximum value: 65535
Unit Type: Min
Equation: (D*256)+E

Long Name: DPF REGEN AVGD
Short Name: DPF AVGD
Maximum value: 65535
Unit Type: Km
Equation: (F*256)+G

#31 ·
Thanks.

I cancelled my order of ultragauge and ordered OBDLink MX instead. Bluetooth and phone app is the way to go.
I just need to monitor temps and DPF regens. Looks like torque app can do what Edge/Banks is doing at a fraction of the cost.

#35 ·
No problem. This should work for any of the apps that support the ability to enter custom pids. I don't use any of them but the Torque format is the easiest to deal with so I will use it as the example. The others will work but you are on your own to figure out bit position and scaling formats.

For the purpose of this how-to lets assume you want to add MAP and RPM.

Step 1:
Find a copy of the the J1979 standard. I am not going to post a copy but if you Google "J1979da" I am sure you will find a copy quickly(FT86club). This document has the list of all the parameters standardized across the industry. OEM's don't have to support every parameter so some will work, others will not. I will post the list of id's that work on my truck at the end.

Step 2:
First off scan/search through the document to find MAP. If you are using the document found from the google search I suggested then it is on page 13. No matter what copy you use it will be PID 0B. Note the PID, data byte, min/max value and the scaling.

Step 3:
Now take a look at the format of the Torque custom pid

PID:
Long Name:
Short Name:
Minimum value:
Maximum value:
Scale Factor:
Unit Type:
Equation:

The first field is PID. There are two parts to this field. The first is the mode. For the purpose of this how-to, this number will always be 01. There are others but I won't go into that here. The second part is the PID number. According to the J1979 standard, MAP is PID 0B. Concatenating those two numbers makes the PID field equal to 010B.

The next two fields are names. I assume you can put whatever you want here but there might be length/character restrictions. The standard gives you a decent names in the description and external test equipment columns. That makes the Long Name field equal to Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure and the Short Name Field equal to MAP.

The Minimum and Maximum Value fields can be pulled directly from the .pdf. The standard says the Minimum Value equals 0 and the Maximum Value equals 255.

I am not sure what Scale Factor is for so I would leave it at 1x until somebody who knows what it is for chimes in.

Unit Type can be either Imperial or Metric based on preference. I use metric and so does the standard so we can set it to kPa. If you want it in Imperial units you will need to adjust the equation field.

The equation field is derived from the data byte and scaling/bit fields in the SAE document. The data byte tells Torque the raw value we need to scale is in the "A" location. According to the document the MAP scaling is 1 kPa per bit so we don't need to apply a special formula. That makes the equation simply equal to A. If you are using PSI then you will need to change that so something like (A*145)/1000. That is an approximate value, you should adjust it to suit your desired accuracy.

Step 4:
Based on step 3, if you use the metric system your custom pid should look something like this:

PID: 010B
Long Name: INTAKE MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESSURE
Short Name: MAP
Maximum value: 255
Unit Type: kPa
Equation: A

Input that into Torque and enjoy. At sea level with the engine off, you should see something like 99 kPa. It will vary depending on weather and altitude. You could also make this a gauge value by subtracting the barometric pressure.

For RPM things change a little. I have this for RPM:

PID: 010C
Long Name: ENGINE RPM
Short Name: RPM
Maximum value: 16383.75
Unit Type: RPM
Equation: ((A*256)+B)/4

The only big difference is in the equation.The first thing we need to do is figure out the raw value. When Torque asks the PCM for a PID the PCM responds with a few numbers that don't matter in this context and X number of data bytes(in the case of RPM, two data bytes). Torque doesn't know that these two data bytes(in Hex) are one whole number so we need to do that in the equation. That is why the ((A*256)+B) is in there. If there were four data bytes then the raw value part of the equation would be ((A*16777216)+(B*65536)+(C*256)+D). The scaling for Engine Speed is 1/4 RPM per bit so we can divide the raw value by 4 which makes the whole equation ((A*256)+B)/4.

My truck supports the following PID numbers: 01,04,05,0B,0C,0D,10,13,1C,1F,21,24,30,31,33,3C,41,42,46,49,4A,4F,51,5C,5D,5E,61,62,63,65,68,69,6A,6B,6D,70,71,73,77,78,7A,7F,81,82,83,85,88,8B,8F

Even though my truck supports all those PIDs, sometimes there are more than one signal within a PID. For example, the EGT PID 78 contains EGT11,12,13,14. My truck only supports EGT11, 12 and 13. Even if you code in EGT14 you won't get a value because the truck doesn't support it.

I know this ran way too long and got a little too technical. Hopefully it makes sense. I would be happy to expand on it if there are any questions.