45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the following for booking down dirt roads and small whoops:
-Icon Stage 3 kit
-Mevotech UCAs
-SuspensionMaxx front sway bar end links
-Thuren Fab rear sway bar end links
-17x8.5 Method Double Standard wheels x 5
-Wilco spare tire carrier (flat version)
-315/70r17 Falken A/T
-Baja Designs Squadron Sport LED lights in place of fog lights (2 Spot + 2 Wide)

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Stout looking suspension upgrades.

How bad does the throttle/turbo lag bother you when you need precise modulation?

Got any photos of those lights in action? Intrigued by those.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The turbo lag never really bothered me unless during low speed/rock crawling. Sometimes I wished the engine had a little more of initial bite but it’s not really a complaint.

As for the ride height I had to raise the driver side coilover roughly 1/4 inch in order to match the passenger side, which gave the front about 2 inches of lift (lost my numbers for stock height).

Haven’t had a good opportunity to shoot a night photo of the Baja lights but will get some in the future. I have driven short stretches of local roads and highway with just the LEDs and no headlights; definitely an overkill for street driving as they are extremely bright.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, as for the rear height increase, although Icon advertises 1.5 inches of lift by the rear coil springs, the top portion (soft rate portion) of the coils compress so much and easily that the actual lift is only around 1 inch.

Honestly if I can do it over again I’d go with Carli’s rear coil springs combined with either Carli King 2.5 shocks or Thuren’s 2.5 Kings (Stage 3 or 4).

·
Super Moderator
3,219 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Surprised we don’t see more builds like yours with this lil diesel plus 8 speed. Do share you may inspire others. A tune should give you that initial bite or responsiveness. A better broader stronger smoother power curve to. Not dramatic but noticeable. GDE has overlap dyno maps. Turns off EGR & has a helpful turbo brake as well. Today my son & I came across the 23 from the 101 to the 1 just north of Malibu. Between GDE’s software turbo brake, factory transmission brake & tow haul you could tap the brakes and it would hold or slow the truck without riding the brakes. Very nice.

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
Looks normal yet the functional add-ons seem to give it better capabilities.

You are doing it right without showing off. Like that.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Surprised we don’t see more builds like yours with this lil diesel plus 8 speed. ... A tune should give you that initial bite or responsiveness. .. GDE has overlap dyno maps. Turns off EGR & has a helpful turbo brake as well. Today my son & I came across the 23 from the 101 to the 1 just north of Malibu. Between GDE’s software turbo brake, factory transmission brake & tow haul you could tap the brakes and it would hold or slow the truck without riding the brakes. Very nice.
he is in Cali .....so getting GDE will be trickier.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pics taken after some light gravel trail runs, truck stayed surprisingly clean.

If you’re looking for some cheap insurance those Mevotech upper control arms are a solid buy. Although some Total Chaos or Icon UCAs are in the near future.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts