RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing barricade hd offroad style front bumper. The bumper comes with two of the led cube lights. My question is for anyone who might have some experience with this, is there a way to connect the new cube lights to the factory foglight switch? That way I'm not having to add another switch to the dash. Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I take it that you don't already have fogs/driving lights in the stock bumper you'll be removing? If you do, then its a matter if cutting and splicing and sealing two connection points. The oem fogs connect to the wiring harness right near each light. I would cut the wiring right near the light and re-splice into the new lights. Make sure the splices are well connected using mechanic connectors or solder them and make sure they are well sealed.
Check the wattage on the cubes and replace the stock fuse to protect the wiring. Example 50 watts per cube x 2 cubes = 100 watts. 100 watts divided by 12 volts = 8.33 amps so a 10 amp fuse max.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Read the above post. You may need a relay to prevent flickering of the LED's caused by the Canbus system.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
Instead of a relay for LEDs you can use this:
It's plug and play for using LEDs in the stock fogs(9006 bulbs). They're good for about 3-4 amps each which should be plenty for most of the cube LEDs. I used these on mine before AlfaOBD was available.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
What benefits can AlfaOBD be for stopping the flicker. I didn't know this us something that can be overcome by Alfa.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take it that you don't already have fogs/driving lights in the stock bumper you'll be removing? If you do, then its a matter if cutting and splicing and sealing two connection points. The oem fogs connect to the wiring harness right near each light. I would cut the wiring right near the light and re-splice into the new lights. Make sure the splices are well connected using mechanic connectors or solder them and make sure they are well sealed.
Check the wattage on the cubes and replace the stock fuse to protect the wiring. Example 50 watts per cube x 2 cubes = 100 watts. 100 watts divided by 12 volts = 8.33 amps so a 10 amp fuse max.
Yes, I have factory fog lights. I am wanting to wire the led cube lights so I can use the factory switch

·
Registered
360 Posts
What benefits can AlfaOBD be for stopping the flicker. I didn't know this us something that can be overcome by Alfa.
The AlfaOBD software allows you to tell the BCM that there are LED bulbs installed so that the bulbs do not flicker. Works great, no extra connections or components to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts