RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That the problems with the programming are due to being hacked into and a virus installed. They are having problems with all of their models, not just RAM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That the problems with the programming are due to being hacked into and a virus installed. They are having problems with all of their models, not just RAM.
LOL wow this is epic on so many levels, If you truly are being serious and this really did happen please do as PTCTreeGuy recommends and never, ever return there. Find another dealership who wants your business.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Note that the OP was talking to a salesman who would not be in that position if he understood the technical aspects of cars. The dealer's service department may be excellent for all we know.

Car hacking has been shown to be a real threat but is so difficult to pull off that it has not been done outside a lab... yet. Quoting http://www.tested.com/tech/concepts/461054-how-modern-cars-can-be-hacked/: "A car is a mini network," security researcher Garcia Illera, who has studied embedded automobile computer systems, told Forbes earlier this year. "And right now there’s no security implemented."

·
Registered
458 Posts
It is a real threat, yes, but I have no dobut that the system architecture consists of a control structure that adheres to the "seperation of duties" aspect of security.

No AV for the OS either -
QNX RTOS v4 Knowledge Base

More than anything though...I think we can all agree your sales person is a raging idiot.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My regular salesman is on vacation this week. And his regular back up lady was busy selling a truck. So the guy I talked to was a n00b and he even looked like "Bobby" on King of The Hill.

Any way, my salesman will be back next week and I'm not in a hurry so it will work out. The reason I really like my salesman is that he knows the product and the inventory at his dealership. I like to keep myself informed and he's the only salesman I've ever talked to that when I bring something up he already knows about it. Most of the salespeople I've met in the past could have been selling anything and know just as much about any product. Because they sure didn't know automobiles!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Just touching on car hacking, as the "is this salesman whacko" side of things is well covered. ;)

I've seen a Prius hacked. It can be done and poses a significant safety threat, as the hacker could submit steering inputs to violently turn the car without driver input. (Damn submissive Prius! Where's your will to fight back?!)

What did it take?

Access to the car's base code. Which had to be cracked as it's encrypted from the factory...not to protect you, but to protect Toyotas investment. Still, it's a security layer.

Access to the car physically. You've got to be plugged in to relay commands. In this case, the hacker was in the back seat of the car.

Knowledge of which areas of the coding affect which systems. Took this team weeks just to sort this step.

All in all, not something to fear at this stage...unless some among us have reason to fear reprisals from random university students working on doctoral thesis, trying to impress DARPA enough to get funding for their Ultimate Battle Zone/Pizza Delivery Robot System. I mean, obviously, if you've pissed off those kids you deserve to be carhacked... ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just touching on car hacking, as the "is this salesman whacko" side of things is well covered. ;)

I've seen a Prius hacked. It can be done and poses a significant safety threat, as the hacker could submit steering inputs to violently turn the car without driver input. (Damn submissive Prius! Where's your will to fight back?!)

What did it take?

Access to the car's base code. Which had to be cracked as it's encrypted from the factory...not to protect you, but to protect Toyotas investment. Still, it's a security layer.

Access to the car physically. You've got to be plugged in to relay commands. In this case, the hacker was in the back seat of the car.

Knowledge of which areas of the coding affect which systems. Took this team weeks just to sort this step.

All in all, not something to fear at this stage...unless some among us have reason to fear reprisals from random university students working on doctoral thesis, trying to impress DARPA enough to get funding for their Ultimate Battle Zone/Pizza Delivery Robot System. I mean, obviously, if you've pissed off those kids you deserve to be carhacked... ;)
I forget which of the 'news' magazines had a story about hacking the Prius and made it sound like it was all remotely done. Then you saw the work they did and how many times they tried to make it work and it seemed more than a little scare-mongering misleading headline. It was interesting to watch for the technical stuff but they admitted it definitely wasn't something you should worry about someone breaking in and turning your car into their own full size toy. Well if you could call a Prius full size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts