RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
How much does Oil Analyzers charge to run your sample?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
This is disturbing - what oil are they putting in these engines if it's NOT Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30? There was but one or two oils in the U.S. That were approved when the 2014 engines were installed in our trucks! Does the dealer add oil once the receive the vehicle from the factory?
I don't think it is disturbing, just different oil. They start them up and drive them off the assembly line so they have oil in them then. Going by what DJ-Gregg says, they would be filled at the engine factory in Cento, Italy. From what I can gather Fiat has some type of relationship with Petronas for lubricants. It may be that they are filled with Petronas Selenia Multipower C3. That is the oil specified for the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0l VM Motori diesel in Italy.
FL SELENIA - Fluids and Lubricants

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I don't think it is disturbing, just different oil. They start them up and drive them off the assembly line so they have oil in them then. Going by what DJ-Gregg says, they would be filled at the engine factory in Cento, Italy. From what I can gather Fiat has some type of relationship with Petronas for lubricants. It may be that they are filled with Petronas Selenia Multipower C3. That is the oil specified for the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0l VM Motori diesel in Italy.
Now I have learned something new. I never heard of that oil here in the states, but it makes perfect sense as to why there is different oil from the factory. How did you learn of this? It would be great to get a baseline sample from that oil company & have it analyzed to see if it matches...

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I just got off the phone with Alex at Blackstone labs. His opinion on the two samples that I've sent in was that the factory fill was not the same oil as the second sample that I KNOW was Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30. They do have a VOA of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 for reference.
Next time you talk to them it would be interesting to ask them his view of the usefulness of the oxidation test and why they choose not to include it intheir standard package. Good to hear that they and Oil Analyzers both think the factory fill is different from the Ultra Euro L. At least we are getting consistent info. It could be a different oil completely as you have suggested or I suppose it could be Euro L with an additional breakin additive which could be why FCA does not recommend a first early oil change. Just my speculation but logically could hang together.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Does the Italian Jeep have the SCR and DPF that we have?

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
How much does Oil Analyzers charge to run your sample?
I buy the sample kit prepaid from AMsoil for just under $20. Normally I try to send 4-6 samples in at one time which fit in a nominal $6.00 USPS box. SO the shipping portion varies depending upon whether shipped singly or as a group. They also sell individual UPS and USPS postage paid kits. You can see al the options on the AMSOIL website.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Petronas is a great oil company sponsoring motorcycle racing and other events all over the world. They may not market here in the North America but they do have a quality world-wide reputation.

It's a treat to now find out I actually used their oil. Wish I could have gotten an oil autograph.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Does the Italian Jeep have the SCR and DPF that we have?
Yes. The Euro 4 has been in place since 2005. I think that is when they started with DPF in Europe. Euro 5a for diesel started in 2009, then 5b in 2011, so the SCR and AdBlue DEF started around that time. They are now on Euro 6.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Next time you talk to them it would be interesting to ask them his view of the usefulness of the oxidation test and why they choose not to include it intheir standard package. Good to hear that they and Oil Analyzers both think the factory fill is different from the Ultra Euro L. At least we are getting consistent info. It could be a different oil completely as you have suggested or I suppose it could be Euro L with an additional breakin additive which could be why FCA does not recommend a first early oil change. Just my speculation but logically could hang together.
I did ask him about the oxidation test. He told me that the oxidation is a part of the "insolubles %". He said that a number over 0.5% was high. Blackstone performs the test differently.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Now I have learned something new. I never heard of that oil here in the states, but it makes perfect sense as to why there is different oil from the factory. How did you learn of this? It would be great to get a baseline sample from that oil company & have it analyzed to see if it matches...
Purely speculation on my part based on nothing more than internet research.

I did live in Italy from 1990-1992, and I've been married to an Italian girl for 23 years, if that counts for anything. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
View attachment 2-050615.pdf
This is the analysis of my second oil load. The load had 10k miles on it. The truck has 18.5k miles. The truck has a fairly hard life. Daily short trips of 10mi, and monthly long trips pulling a 24' enclosed trailer for 7-16hrs roundtrip. I was concerned that the oil change interval of 10k miles might be too long for my usage patterns, but the oil tech said the oil did fine. Note my TBN was still pretty good @ 3 so the oil had not yet got acidic. Iron was a little high, but everyone else seems to be getting that too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
2nd oil change @19,340 miles with 9,726 on the Kendall GT-1 Euro 5W/30 oil. The sample was pulled hot.

Blackstone:
TOM: Hey, now that's what we're talking about! Wear has improved nicely in this sample. Everything that
read high last time has washed out to some extent, and most metals are now reading in the average range.
Aluminum still needs to come down some - look for that change next time. The only highlight was for the
low flashpoint, which shows a harmless trace of fuel. That's usually from idling, or perhaps from sampling
cold. The TBN read strong, so go ahead with 10K-12K miles next time. This should be an excellent engine
for you.

View attachment 2nd Oil change.pdf

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
2nd oil change @19,340 miles with 9,726 on the Kendall GT-1 Euro 5W/30 oil. The sample was pulled hot.

Blackstone:
TOM: Hey, now that's what we're talking about! Wear has improved nicely in this sample. Everything that
read high last time has washed out to some extent, and most metals are now reading in the average range.
Aluminum still needs to come down some - look for that change next time. The only highlight was for the
low flashpoint, which shows a harmless trace of fuel. That's usually from idling, or perhaps from sampling
cold. The TBN read strong, so go ahead with 10K-12K miles next time. This should be an excellent engine
for you.

View attachment 7674
Blackstone said the same thing about fuel content in my oil. I don't let it idle much & I pulled my sample hot also...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Blackstone said the same thing about fuel content in my oil. I don't let it idle much & I pulled my sample hot also...
Same here, I have not used the remote start in about two months. The truck had a 400 mile tow two weeks prior and a 650 mile trip 3 days prior to the change.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
From the OM

NOTE: It is possible for your oil level to be slightly higher than a previous check. This would be due to diesel fuel that may temporarily be in the crankcase due to operation of the diesel particulate filter regeneration strategy. This fuel will evaporate out under normal operation.

Probably not there from idling.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When I worked at Ford, engines came preassembled on a subframe assembly ready to install with 6 bolts. They were shipped full of oil from the engine manufacturer. GM is the same way so I imagine Dodge would be as well.
I can assure you GM engines come prefilled with oil. We turned over a box car loaded with them and oil was going everywhere afterward.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A suggestion for posting UOA's - to reduce the risk of identity theft, removal of all personal information from your report is good practice...

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
I have edited my two sample postings to include the amount of fuel burned for the period the oil was in the truck. For those of you testing oil and posting results, if you keep track of your fuel it would be interesting to see the total fuel you burned. With our varied usage I bet we would see at least a 50% difference for a nominal 10,000 period. Anyhow, over time it might provide enough info to be of some use when comparing oil test results.

Anyhow, just a thought.

21 - 40 of 662 Posts