RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Reference the apparently different oil from the factory vs the PEnnzoil Ultra Euro L 5w30, in addition to TOP's possible explanation it is also possible it is a specific 'breakin oil' or that an additional container of additives was added for the first fill. I also don't think it is alarming that the factory fill was different just would be intersting to know why. OR at least was there a purpose for it or just serendipity.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes, except for a a short while when the dealer ran out of the Pennzoil and had to use Rotella T6. I had the Rotella T6 in there for about 2,600 miles.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Magnesium is used in the additive pack. It is a detergent/dispersant.

I think the higher numbers for mag and moly may be some residuals from the Rotella T6. Either that, or SOPUS changed the additive pack in the Pennzoil when they changed it from Ultra to Platinum Euro L.

I guess I'll have a better idea on the next sample as it has the Ultra Euro L in it that I got from Amazon this past winter.

Here is Blackstone's explanation of things.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/report-explanation.php

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
For a point of reference, this is the latest oil analysis done on the GDE development truck. Ten thousand miles completely on the tune running Shell Rotella T6. We run this oil because it is cost affordable and perfectly safe to use on diesel engines with DPF. Fuel dilution is very low thanks to in-frequent regenerations.

GDE Oil Analysis at 30k mi.png

Touching on some of the other questions above in the thread (despite their age), the engines are all shipped full of oil when departing the Cento assembly plant. The last we knew they use an oil from Q8 for the fill after hot test before shipping.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
For a point of reference, this is the latest oil analysis done on the GDE development truck. Ten thousand miles completely on the tune running Shell Rotella T6. We run this oil because it is cost affordable and perfectly safe to use on diesel engines with DPF. Fuel dilution is very low thanks to in-frequent regenerations.

View attachment 9617

Touching on some of the other questions above in the thread (despite their age), the engines are all shipped full of oil when departing the Cento assembly plant. The last we knew they use an oil from Q8 for the fill after hot test before shipping.
So what would be the implications if using T6 and your warranty remaining intact? If it's safe for DPF diesels, why are they sticking us with this ridiculously expensive and hard to find (locally) oil in your opinion? I know you aren't concerned with warranty being diesel mechanics and tuners. But us poor schmucks are ,thanks!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts

View attachment 9617

Thanks for sharing the results with T6.

I would really like to use a Heavy Duty Engine Oil, such as Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil Delvac, but the specific requirement in the owner's manual, and the fact that there are a few blown engines reported, make me think the 5W30 ACEA-C3/MS-11106 is really the only option for me until the warranty is up.

Q8 oil you say? I never would have guessed that, but it is a very common brand in Italy. Thanks for sharing this little nugget of information.

·
Vendor
1,117 Posts
Thanks for sharing the results with T6.

I would really like to use a Heavy Duty Engine Oil, such as Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil Delvac, but the specific requirement in the owner's manual, and the fact that there are a few blown engines reported, make me think the 5W30 ACEA-C3/MS-11106 is really the only option for me until the warranty is up.

Q8 oil you say? I never would have guessed that, but it is a very common brand in Italy. Thanks for sharing this little nugget of information.

The topic of oil is always a sensitive one from many aspects.

A good reference for reading is the actual ACEA spec which can be found here in pdf form -> http://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf

Quoting from that document:
C : Catalyst compatibility oils
C3 - Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use as catalyst compatible oil in vehicles with DPF and TWC in high performance car and light van diesel and gasoline engines, with a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5mPa.s. These oils will increase the DPF and TWC life.

E: Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oils
E9 - Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV, Euro V and Euro VI emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. It is suitable for engines with or without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and for most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel.

From our experience so far, I think that FCA would be hard pressed to demonstrate that the E9 oil (Shell Rotella T6 oil carries this rating) caused more undue wear than the C3 oil. The 5w40 oil will likely be a bit thicker in cold weather which could lead to degraded starting performance, but otherwise we don't find any downfall to running it. Our Jeep Liberty CRD running the tune has used this oil for a number of years with 130k on the clock.

Of course, everyone has their own personal convictions and comfort level and for sure we respect that. Some people will choose to stick with the C3 oil, others will go with something else as we are doing on ours.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lot of you guys must be being ripped of by dealers, list on the oil from Chrysler is only $6.05 with their cost only $4.26 IIRC in the US. I use T6 5w 40 Rotella in my tractor and it runs $6.75 to $6.95 at the big box stores. I use it because I like the higher heat range 5w-40 or 5w-30, both oils are 5w, but the second number is basically heat range not weight or thickness/viscosity. But I may go to the factory oil for the savings for winter use.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Anyone have a UOA of Mobil 1 ESP 5W30?
Mobile's web site says several auto parts stores here sell the ESP 5W30, but when I go there, no one has it in stock & no plans to carry it. That's why I use the Liqui-Moly. It's available & competivy priced & I believe its a good product as is Mobile. I'm not impressed by Pennzoil.

41 - 60 of 662 Posts