RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

701 - 715 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
My latest oil report. I mailed the sample of May 18, 2020. Went on the truck that night and arrived at Blackstone labs on June16, 2020. :coffee:

Note: I missed getting a sample in Fall 2019 due to I just forgot to pull it. Since the catch bin I use gets all my engine oils (Durango, Snowblower, lawn blower, tiller) it was best I didn't try to pull a sample from that container.

2014 RAM Diesel 3.0L with ~28k miles on the engine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
What oils were you using on the prior indexes? I see the T6 held viscosity really, really well. The other index's show thinner viscosity, assuming you were using a 40 weight.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Ok, finally found this thread.... I hijacked another one by accident because I wasn't paying attention. This report has my brain going a bit crazy....

So, I got my report back from Blackstone today. The dealer replaced my stock oil cooler as it was leaking and mixing a tiny bit of oil in my coolant. That issues is all cleared up, but it appears some of the coolant got into the oil either from a new issue, or there was some in it from the oil cooler issue... Also it looks like I'm gonna be having some bearings fail. Let me know your thoughts on this one. Has me a little concerned. Also, it mentions Delo Oil. I forgot the dealer replaced the oil cooler and so the oil in the truck is what they put in it, not the Chevron Delo I said was in there... Think the dealer put the wrong oil in it?

I tow pretty heavy, I'm glad I didn't wait to do the oil change. this one, at 6200 miles, is the soonest oil change I've done, but I've had great reports at 10k intervals.

Just so everyone is clear, I added HotShots Stiction eliminator in this oil. So, the oil tested had that additive, plus it was the oil change immediately following the stock oil cooler replacement.

I spoke to a shop in Utah that worked directly with King Bearings to get them to produce the bearings that are now available for the Ecodiesels. They are finishing up the first ecodiesel rebuild in the state now with those bearings. They can rebuild my engine for about $10k ( $7k if I bring them just the motor), using the stronger King Bearings, stronger internals, head studs etc. I'm going to see what the report says at 5k miles and decide what I want to do. Unless she explodes before then. Let me know your thoughts on this one.

View attachment 86514
What tune do you have if any? Towing heavy with those heavy tires could be stressing the engine??? It would be hard for me to justify 10k rebuild unless she blew.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Got my latest report back from Blackstone and things are looking much better. The previous report must have been affected by the oil cooler change and the oil additive I had in it. But things look to be on track with this report. Really didn't like the scare the last one gave me. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well my test run with 15W-40 valvoline premium blue came back great but I cut the run short at 7300 miles. Sample 15 is the valvoline the rest are amsoil 5W-40. View attachment 87362
Unless your climate mandates a 5w40 for cold starts we should all be using a 15w40. Best results I ever got were on a 15w40 Synthetic Blend. I'll be posting a UOA of Valvoline Heavy Duty Maxlife 15w40 Synthetic Blend pretty soon here. It was ran towing our travel trailer this summer through blazing hot Nevada, Utah, and Arizona towing 14hrs straight twice with the truck never being turned off.

My guess is it'll be my best UOA to date. These engines thrive on a thick oil with a high HTHS.

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI,
New to the ecodiesel or diesel for that matter, Would like to do an oil analysis on my oil when it comes due. Right now I only have about 300 miles on the oil since they supposedly changed before I bought it. Hard to tell because oil looks black already.. Where do you get the bottles to collect the sample, what is the best way to collect the sample and is there anything else I should know to do this correctly? Engine has 92000 on it now and will probably change it at 97000 because it looks so black right now. thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
Unless your climate mandates a 5w40 for cold starts we should all be using a 15w40. Best results I ever got were on a 15w40 Synthetic Blend. I'll be posting a UOA of Valvoline Heavy Duty Maxlife 15w40 Synthetic Blend pretty soon here. It was ran towing our travel trailer this summer through blazing hot Nevada, Utah, and Arizona towing 14hrs straight twice with the truck never being turned off.

My guess is it'll be my best UOA to date. These engines thrive on a thick oil with a high HTHS.

View attachment 87366
View attachment 87367
My Red Line must be good then! Even at 5w40.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just received the analysis of my last oil change. 166,398 miles on the truck and 21,159 miles on the Rotella T6. Results were fantastic--going for 23,000 miles this time!

Dave

Attachments

701 - 715 of 715 Posts