RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Oil Analysis

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  biodiesel 
#1 ·
Wanted to get y’alls opinion on the results of my Blackstone oil analysis. Potassium is high from an additive I used the oil change before. (arc oil friction modifier) I forgot to mention this to Blackstone. I talked to them since and they said it’s normal.
Not sure how I feel about the metals, I use a docs diesel oil filter not the molar oem.
I also have a green diesel engineering tune. And run hot shot secret stiction eliminator in the oil.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There are a lot of variables in play every time you take and run an oil sample. It'll never be the exact same twice. I wouldn't worry about any of the numbers on this report. Once you've gotten at least 3 reports, you can begin to make some educated guesses.

If you plan to do UOAs regularly, do it for what you can gain by noticing trends over time. That is far more important than any individual data point(s). Trends point to things changing (or hopefully, not changing).

Or do UOAs because you want to determine exactly how long a given oil can be safely run before changing out. Or to see how a given oil compares to any other. But don't do UOAs in the hope that you're going to be able to divine anything out of one report vs another (besides trends) because you will only lose sleep and spend money, which would likely be better spent on new oil :)

#11 ·
GDE runs T6 in his Gen III EcoDiesel with good UOA results. The concerns with T6 in the Gen III engine is about possible deposit buildup in the turbo. During testing, the engineers pulled the turbo off one of the test mules and saw deposit buildup inside the turbo, which led them to make the change in oil specification. With that said, the same turbo used in our Gen III EcoDiesel is used on other applications with the T6 spec, so there might be a different reason for the deposit buildup inside the turbo. Until more information comes available, I'm perfectly fine running Pennzoil Platinum Euro in my 2020 EcoDiesel.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.