RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Oil and fuel filter change

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Ecosparky 
#1 ·
I am going to be doing my first oil and fuel filter change. I will be taking the truck to valvoline for the oil change. $166.00 is not that bad. Can anyone recommend non OEM fuel filters? The OEM are way over priced and non existent. Thanks.

#4 ·
@Patroller8D suggested an oil filter. As for your Fuel filter request, many suggest spending the extra money and sticking with the OEM fuel filter. alot of the aftermarket filters lack the water separator and fail prematurely. This is not a place you want to go cheap

Reactions: Ecosparky
#6 ·
I am as frugal as they come. However. I couldn’t find deals anywhere. I just paid. $400 for both fuel filters. Oil filter. Oil and air filter. I could’ve coughed up and additional $160 and let the stealership do the work. The oil given to me was Rotella T5 10W30 synthetic. That’s what’s on the manual.

#11 ·
I have been changing the fuel filters each oil change, which seems to be about 14,000 miles as I seem to be wanting to go on a trip around then the last two changes. It is the fuel filters that bug me.

Sure the back fuel filter probably should be changed. I do and also do the front. That may soon stop. Each time when I removed the front fuel filter it looks as good as the new one I am putting in. I mean it looks perfectly new without even a hint of color change.

Probably after the injector pump recall change I will be more apt to stop playing with the filters so much. So far I have never even detected a drop of water in the back filter when I open up that bottom drain screw. That's where the water would be and it has just not been there.

Reactions: sourdo
#18 ·
Agree. That is the main reason I buy those cheap, Chinese ones off Amazon. The cost me maybe $20 each.

Now before people attack there is a Federal statue that makes manufacturers prove the product was the cause of major trouble. I have avoided the Ebay filters with the hope the Amazon brand names ones are decent. My earlier comparisons tell me it makes no never mind. Then I find out that the Mopar filters are also made in China. Actually, I think my latest ones were made in Taiwan.

Oil filters from Mopar are maybe 10 - $15. I just use them. That all puts my oil changes in the $100 range, including oil. Still think that is too much but I grew up with $1.29 filters and 69 cent quarts of oil.

#14 ·
AFter my experience with NAPA fuel filters for the Ecodiesel, I would pony up and stick to Mopar for those. But the oil filters? Napa spin on for ten bucks is good.

I used Valvoline Blue Syn 5w-40 oil, I found it for $20 a gallon! I regret not buying another case.

Get the T handle cap for the oil filter, or at least use a gallon baggie to minimize spilling.

#15 ·
AFter my experience with NAPA fuel filters for the Ecodiesel, I would pony up and stick to Mopar for those. But the oil filters? Napa spin on for ten bucks is good.

I used Valvoline Blue Syn 5w-40 oil, I found it for $20 a gallon! I regret not buying another case.

Get the T handle cap for the oil filter, or at least use a gallon baggie to minimize spilling.
Sourdo, I am curious. Does you’re maintenance manual also recommend using 10w30 above 0 degrees Fahrenheit and 5w40 a below zero degrees? I don’t ever plan on being in below zero weather. If I ever do. It won’t be for that long.

#19 ·
I just dropped $400 including an stp air filter. That hurt. And the young man doing the work will charge me $100. That’s a total of $500. Dealership wanted $560 not including air filter. I figure let a young buck make $100. He’s a good kid and really knowledgeable. He does the maintenance on his dads fleet. I believe he’s only like 15 or 16

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.