RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new diesel supplement off the the Ram website lists the oil capacity as 10.5 quarts for the 3.0 where the last one said 8 quarts. I was wondering if anyone knows for sure witch one is correct? The Jeep manual says 8 quarts. Does the Ram have a different oil pan?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Good catch. I am curious what filter they will be using. On the Liberty CRD, most people on the LOST Jeeps forum put an oversized filter on. The filter on the Jeeps is already relocated and the thread size and o-ring size are the same as the standard Ford/Chrystler Fram #PH8A (Don't use Fram as they are junk!). This gives the CRD an Oil capacity of 7qts up from 6.3qts. Basically, you get more filter area and you can pour the whole 7th quart in. I am hoping this motor has a large oil filter. If not, it won't be long before we find one that may work.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good catch. I am curious what filter they will be using. On the Liberty CRD, most people on the LOST Jeeps forum put an oversized filter on. The filter on the Jeeps is already relocated and the thread size and o-ring size are the same as the standard Ford/Chrystler Fram #PH8A (Don't use Fram as they are junk!). This gives the CRD an Oil capacity of 7qts up from 6.3qts. Basically, you get more filter area and you can pour the whole 7th quart in. I am hoping this motor has a large oil filter. If not, it won't be long before we find one that may work.
A sandwich plate with an aftermarket filter relocation kit would boost the oil capacity, lower oil temps and possibly improve the location of the filter itself(along with the potential size). Its a fairly common (aftermarket)turbo Honda modification to add the relocation kit along with an external oil cooler(even on engines with a factory oil cooler). I doubt the oil cooler is necessary, but it certainly isn't useless. Kits like this don't take long to pop either.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Does any one know the size of the oil drain plug? I have a special QUICK no mess drain plug on my 5.9 cummings and want to put it on my Eco diesel

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Fumoto is a must have mod for the 2.8 VM diesel due to the ease of stripping the threads. I would highly recommend. Did my oil change Thursday in 10 minutes. All I needed was a filter wrench, a drain pan, a new filter (my Amsoil dealer was out of EAO15 so I got the Mobile M1-301) and 7qts of Amsoil.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As I went through my owners manual it says the oil capacity is 8 quarts. There is a yellow addendum card in that updates the capacity to 10.5 quarts.

·
Registered
592 Posts
What kind of oil temps are these engines seeing? Does it stay around the 180 to 190-degrees?

:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 3.0 diesel Jeep version shows 14mm-1.5. Should be the same for the Ram Eco Diesel.

The Cummins shows 18mm-1.5

I'm a fan of the Fumoto valve as well. All my vehicles have one.

Fumoto Valve | Qwik Valve™
I purchased the Fumoto valve before I received my truck. Very nicely made piece. I am not going to use it because the drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan. Old oil will dump straight down into waste pan. I am concerned that the Fumoto valve hangs down far enough where it might snag on something and brake off. I sometimes have to drive my truck in our horse paddocks which are open fields, therein lies the issue. I will have to take a closer look at it next week. Just my $.02

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Agree with the damage issue. I often ride dirt roads and fields. This V.M. oil plug hangs straight down and is between the skid plates. It is a little bit above the plates but anything dragging over the front plate would "pop up" behind that and then get knocked down over that transmission skid plate. When it "pops up" it will hit right where the oil drain plug is.

Going to leave mine alone as it sure looks sturdy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Agree with the damage issue. I often ride dirt roads and fields. This V.M. oil plug hangs straight down and is between the skid plates. It is a little bit above the plates but anything dragging over the front plate would "pop up" behind that and then get knocked down over that transmission skid plate. When it "pops up" it will hit right where the oil drain plug is.

Going to leave mine alone as it sure looks sturdy.
You hit the nail (drain plug) on the head Captainmal.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What kind of oil temps are these engines seeing? Does it stay around the 180 to 190-degrees?

:)
I have only 50 miles on my truck and see the oil temp right around 200F.

·
Registered
592 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts