RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an untuned 2018 Laramie with 3.92s, I have ~10% oil life remaining per the EVIC, about 3000 miles per the 10k intervals.

Pretty basic question that my inexperience may be showing here, should I get my oil changed before our ~300 mile trip towing our travel trailer this weekend and tow on a fresh load or should I tow with the current oil and do a fresh change at the end of camping season when we get back? Or is it irrelevant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I'd change before, only because of the heavy soot load in the oil with a stock tune. If you had a decent ECM tune I wouldn't hesitate to wait.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do what your gut tells you to do. Changing oil before the "clock" runs out is okay. Waiting until afterwards is within the specified interval.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have an untuned 2018 Laramie with 3.92s, I have ~10% oil life remaining per the EVIC, about 3000 miles per the 10k intervals.

Pretty basic question that my inexperience may be showing here, should I get my oil changed before our ~300 mile trip towing our travel trailer this weekend and tow on a fresh load or should I tow with the current oil and do a fresh change at the end of camping season when we get back? Or is it irrelevant?

Maybe my math is fuzzy, but ~10% of 10,000 is 1,000. Is your trip ~300 round trip? Or 300 each way?

Either way you're in the factory interval and I wouldn't worry about it. That said, timing works out to where I've always changed around the 9,000 mile mark. Others UOA shows they could go longer, but I've never pushed it beyond that.

Short of it is you're fine but change if you want.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil life meter doesn't always follow the 10k interval with the stock tune,
That’s true. I’m at ~7500 since my last oil change/reset. I’m just wondering if there is any benefit to getting all the hard towing for the year done and running clean oil until the spring with no “wear and tear” of towing

·
Registered
525 Posts
With a stock truck and that many miles, it doesn't matter if you change oil before or after the trip. Your engine is all sooted up anyhow. Probably about ready to spin a bearing. Maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
With a stock truck and that many miles, it doesn't matter if you change oil before or after the trip. Your engine is all sooted up anyhow. Probably about ready to spin a bearing. Maybe this weekend.
That's a crap response and you darn well know it too!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm late to the party but would've change the oil. I don't go past 8k, diesel dilutes the oil and reduces the longevity of the oil. I believe the manual recommends 8k... I'd stay away from 10k.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The manual says 10,000 miles unless you are using biodiesel. Then it is 8. Also, for those of us that use the GDE tune, oil change intervals could even be longer. On my last report they said it could easily go to 12,000 miles, but I will most likely change it at 10 anyway.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The manual says 10,000 miles unless you are using biodiesel. Then it is 8. Also, for those of us that use the GDE tune, oil change intervals could even be longer. On my last report they said it could easily go to 12,000 miles, but I will most likely change it at 10 anyway.

Same here. I tow about 4000 miles a year and with the GDE tune Blackstone still says I can go up to 12,000 miles if I want. I'm simple and 10K is a nice round number that's easy to remember so I just stick with it.

Bob

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Shia. How many miles you have on your oil?

Just hoping you write the mileage at oil changes so you can figure. Nuts to that oil life meter. If you have enough miles to go on your trip and return with less than 10,000 miles on the oil, go. If it is over 10,000 or whatever your book says is the oil change mileage, change. Assuming you are under warranty I would not go past the recommended mileage change interval.

·
Registered
449 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm, I swore I read the oil change spec also reduced the frequency down to 8k, I'll check my manual later. There's no way I'm going to 10k on a stock tune, that's just me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
+/- 10% of your oil change interval, and you will be fine.

That being said, I try to keep mine at +/- 500 miles, and change at 8,000. Schedule the next change as though you did this one at the specified interval.

A 300 mile trip with 3,000 miles left on the EVIC is plenty of margin. Even if you changed oil at 8,000 you have a 1,000 mile margin.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I made the decision to change the oil after the trip. Attached are the stats for the trip. The truck was only running when hitching up, unhitching or towing so it’s as accurate of a read as I can get (using the EVIC). Granted it takes about 30 minutes to get the 33’ behemoth turned around and parked at the in laws property, think I lost close to .5 mpg doing that alone. But overall I had no issues, temps peaked at ~240 for the oil, coolant hung around 210. Not sure if that big gap should be concerning? I seem to recall in another thread seeing the recommended delta between the two to be in the 12-16 range, but I could be wrong on that.

Took it to the dealer with 2% left on the oil life meter for my prepaid oil change (can’t beat a $100 oil change when the materials to do it myself is upwards of $85 in my opinion) and still running like a dream. Coming up on 1 yr and almost 15k, untuned and no complaints.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts