RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
bumping this post cause I can't find what Im looking for and although mechanically inclined, not a diesel guy. My oil change indicator came on after 4811km (oil change done by dealership under new purchase promo) so well below its proper interval. I had a shop test it and the oil is fine. This interval has not seen much towing, less then 100km and has been nearly all hwy. We did have extreme temps on Vancouver island but the truck was only driven one day for about 60km. My question is 1) is there actually an oil sensor tied in there that measures the quality of the oil or is time/mileage based reset after an oil change and 2) resetting the indicator is simple enough however can you actually change the program interval from 16,000km (manual) to say 10,000km. I want to figure out if the dealership altered the alert settings.
AFAIK , oil change interval is set at 10,000mi/16,000 km from factory and seems to be a good interval. You can always reset it yourself. It is only a miles/km reset, does not have any bearing on oil condition. If dealer changed it, have em reset for 10,000 miles. waste of time and oil to change oil too often. BTW, towing is probably the best thing you can do with a diesel.

Reactions: SlowRoller
bumping this post cause I can't find what Im looking for and although mechanically inclined, not a diesel guy. My oil change indicator came on after 4811km (oil change done by dealership under new purchase promo) so well below its proper interval. I had a shop test it and the oil is fine. This interval has not seen much towing, less then 100km and has been nearly all hwy. We did have extreme temps on Vancouver island but the truck was only driven one day for about 60km. My question is 1) is there actually an oil sensor tied in there that measures the quality of the oil or is time/mileage based reset after an oil change and 2) resetting the indicator is simple enough however can you actually change the program interval from 16,000km (manual) to say 10,000km. I want to figure out if the dealership altered the alert settings.
Do I understand that the dealer did a change, then you got the message 4811 km later? How many km when the dealer did the change? Could it be they just didn't reset the minder and you got the msg at 16,000 km? I don't believe there is a sensor to measure oil condition, but rather some measurement of how much cold or hot running, maybe how many starts. I haven't seen many comments about getting the oil change message at less than 10,000 miles/16,000 km.

Reactions: HYDREX
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.