RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well. I got a new "problem" this weekend. Saturday started out with a run to the monthly rubbish day followed by a shed cleaning and then drove the travel trailer 85 miles to put in storage. Upon returning with the family, I had enough time to perform an oil change and check out why my p-brakes are sticking. I changed the oil and filter as per usual. When I went to reset the oil change interval all seemed normal until I pressed "Ok". Nothing happened. The indicator did not reset. It just when back to the interval screen. I have repeated it several times. Before and after a complete shutdown and cold soak as well. Yes. The engine is off and the key is in the run position.

Am I missing something? Do I have to sacrifice a chicken? I do have 2 recalls on my truck that I just received notification. Anyone else experience this? A quick search didn't yield a hit on here.

FYI: I have a 2014 Ram Big Horn EcoDiesel with ~96k miles on it. I have the AEM installed and I'm waiting on an appointment to have the latest recall done.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
the finish of your reset should include the " > " with a "OK "in the middle not just the " > ".
sacrificing the chicken couldn't hurt , with a can of beer inside it on the BBQ .:rolleyes:
here is what some wrote :
"" next step is inside the cab to reset oil life in dash :
(( truck door may need to be closed ,( mentioned but not verified ). ))
- in dash scroll to see where oil life screen takes whole screen ( batt,tires,"oil life" )
- hold ">" arrow until you see the reset prompt ,
- take it to "OK "
- click when you are at "OK "( twice ) and you should get oil life 100% .""

and
"" by howie : Oil life is now reset.
I did not interpret the reset instructions correctly.
First you push and hold > to reset. Then the confirm screen comes up.
DO NOT GO DIRECT TO PUSH "> "TO CONFIRM ">" YOU MUST FIRST SCROLL THE SCREEN
UP OR DOWN TO GET THE "OK" IN THE CENTER WINDOW THEN PUSH "> "TO CONFIRM
""

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the finish of your reset should include the " > " with a "OK "in the middle not just the " > ".
sacrificing the chicken couldn't hurt , with a can of beer inside it on the BBQ .:rolleyes:
- in dash scroll to see where oil life screen takes whole screen ( batt,tires,"oil life" )
- take it to "OK "

and
""
Hmmm ... did all of that except push '>' twice after taking the confirmation screen to "OK" as the highlighted option. It's raining right now so I'll check it before I go home tonight.

Edit: FYI ... I just got off the phone with the service writer at my local dealership setting up the tailgate recall. I mentioned this issue just as a point and they said they had never heard of this problem. They suggested my oil change interval indicator might be malfunctioning. I'm going to push the button again tonight.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Key on. Within the 1st 10s after the key on, press the accelerator pedal three (3x) times in order to trigger the oil
life reset.

less complicated that using the EVIC
That old trick works too? Great. I'll give it a try. That's how I had to do it on my '08 Jeep Patriot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have issues. It seems to work better when hitting the accelerator pedal 3x.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. Before coming home this evening, I got in, tried it ... no go. Tried again and it reset. I've never had a problem resetting the fuel mileage stuff. Hmmm....

·
Registered
43 Posts
- take it to "OK "

and
""
Yep, the first time I did an oil change I didn't scroll as Howie mentioned, but I eventually got it right. Even when doing it right I sometimes have to do it twice in order for it to take. Also BTW, doing the 3x on the accelerator thing within 10s of key on has not worked for me. I only tried it twice a few oil changes ago, but no go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The accelerator way is about rhythm and completeness. You don't want to slam the accelerator 3 times as fast as you can rather you want to perform 3 pushes of the accelerator as far as you can push it within the first 10 seconds. I've always done it this way with my jeep and truck. It may take a couple tries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
To OP. Did you have the AEM done? If so, did this issue start the first time you tried to reset the oil life after the AEM? I just had the AEM done and now oil life won’t reset.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Okay. Before coming home this evening, I got in, tried it ... no go. Tried again and it reset. I've never had a problem resetting the fuel mileage stuff. Hmmm....
I've had that problem, too... just kept trying and it eventually took. I turned the truck on and off a few times. Didn't know about the gas pedal 3 x trick

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To OP. Did you have the AEM done? If so, did this issue start the first time you tried to reset the oil life after the AEM? I just had the AEM done and now oil life won’t reset.
Yes, I had the AEM done back in early June of this year. This was the first oil change after that. There was an interesting issue. When the AEM was done it was combined with the Auto Park update. However, FCA kept sending me recall notices. When I had the tailgate recall done this last week I had them check it. The report back was that the Auto Park installation (code update) hadn't finalized. I suppose the last step where it is verified and so it could be registered with FCA didn't complete or wasn't completed. In either case, it is taken care of now. Could this have interfered with the oil life reset, maybe? No way for a regular joe to noe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts