RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have roughly a 1k miles left before oil change is required and the oil indicator hit 0% today just wondering why and if i should be concerned

·
Super Moderator
912 Posts
Well I wouldn't be doing mad cat laps around the living room. Those things work on algorithms of speed, time, temperature, towing and probably a few other things. 1K miles won't cause anything to self destruct.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well I wouldn't be doing mad cat laps around the living room. Those things work on algorithms of speed, time, temperature, towing and probably a few other things. 1K miles won't cause anything to self destruct.
Hi: Patroller8D... The EcoD's have been known to "Self destruct" for less. LoL
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ok i thought it was just straight miles

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
137 Posts
I understand to change the oil not stupid just thought it was mileage based just making sure it wasnt malfunctioning
What year is your truck? I am pretty sure the oil change indicator is a straight countdown. No fancy stuff that I know of...

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
The oil change indicator has always (at least on ecodiesels) been an algorithm not just straight mileage count down. Things like short trips and frequent regens greatly effect the mileage. Thats why fca says to follow the oil life indicator and that the maximum oil change interval is 10k.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
137 Posts
The oil change indicator has always (at least on ecodiesels) been an algorithm not just straight mileage count down. Things like short trips and frequent regens greatly effect the mileage. Thats why fca says to follow the oil life indicator and that the maximum oil change interval is 10k.
hmmm, my 2015 has NEVER varied from straight mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Since I do a lot of short commutes and towing, I change the oil at 5,000 mile intervals or 6 months, whichever comes first. By doing this, I've never ran into an issue with the oil indicator warning.

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
2021 Ram Eco Diesel Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
45 Posts
Yep my 21 is on par for maybe around 6k oil change for its first change. Was mostly reduced after a couple hot and heavy tows up the mountains. I’m taking a sample this week to test it.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts