RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
At what they're charging, oil changes are like owning an oil well!
Some dealers are very reasonable. My dealer sells me two oil changes with two tire rotations for $189.00.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
255 Posts
Some dealers are very reasonable. My dealer sells me two oil changes with two tire rotations for $189.00.
I would like that. Still, I assume they are making money at that price (which reveals how much dealerships are making at higher prices), so they make twice as much money if they can convince you to get oil changes twice as often.

PS: I got dinged about that much for one OC in Albuquerque traveling through in April, and that was after their oh-so-generous 10% online coupon!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
But while they are doing your tire rotation they search for other maintenance and wear items like brakes, tires, shocks, struts...yada.
The $189 price is just the foreplay.....then get ready for whats coming next.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I would like that. Still, I assume they are making money at that price (which reveals how much dealerships are making at higher prices), so they make twice as much money if they can convince you to get oil changes twice as often.
They sell their oil change service contracts at cost. In his 15 years as a service advisor, he believes that customers are most likely to come back if oil changes are sold at cost. In other words, dealerships who jack up their oil change prices isolate their customer base. He also runs a free diagnostic on every vehicle and does a close inspection in hopes to find potential repairs.

PS: I got dinged about that much for one OC in Albuquerque traveling through in April, and that was after their oh-so-generous 10% online coupon!
Yeah, Albuquerque is expensive. Larry H. Miller has a really good EcoDiesel tech, but that's about all the good I can say. If I ever need a major engine repair or replacement, I'll either go to Farmington, NM or Ottawa, KS.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,351 Posts
My old 2017 Ecodiesels oil life meter was just another version of an odometer, and never changed from 1000 miles per 10% on the meter.

I would usually change it every spring after the cold winter and/or at around 7500 miles. In 45,000 miles I had two oil samples done, both were excellent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if you do your own oil or not, but be sure to let all the oil drain when do an oil change. You need to let is sit 15 min or more with the drain plug off draining to get all the oil that hangs in the heads. I was only getting ~6,000 miles before the light from dealer oil changes and started getting close to 10,000 miles when I started doing them myself.

·
Administrator
9,675 Posts
Not sure if you do your own oil or not, but be sure to let all the oil drain when do an oil change. You need to let is sit 15 min or more with the drain plug off draining to get all the oil that hangs in the heads. I was only getting ~6,000 miles before the light from dealer oil changes and started getting close to 10,000 miles when I started doing them myself.
Several members experience the same. On my 2014, 99.9% of the oil drains within the first 5 minutes. I did wait an extra 10 minutes one time and less than 2 ounces drained from the pan. It might depend on how hot the oil is and how level the truck is. It surely doesn't hurt to allow additional drain time.

Also after refilling the oil, several members wait at least 30 minutes before starting the engine to allow the new oil to make its way to the pan. I experimented and found the oil made it to the pan almost as quirk as I poured it in. Again it won't hurt to wait.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That would indicate that the engine actually measures oil characteristics and that a tiny (see post from 97hcms) amount of oil had a large impact. Previous discussions suggest that the algorithm is based on driving conditions. I wonder if the dealer can set it for a shorter oil change interval so that they get you back in sooner?

·
Registered
13 Posts
hmmm, my 2015 has NEVER varied from straight mileage.
My 2015 has about 3k miles since oil change. It’s about 60% oil life remaining. If it was a straight mileage countdown based on 10k mile intervals, I’d be at 70%. Idk if it’s based on 10k intervals, but I plan to change at 5k since the dealer did the last one and probably used shitty oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,351 Posts
If you have kept a maintenance log and know how many real miles you've driven since your last oil change, then you can disregard the electronic mumbo jumbo.

I would.

Pen and pencil don't lie or cheat.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 2015 has about 3k miles since oil change. It’s about 60% oil life remaining. If it was a straight mileage countdown based on 10k mile intervals, I’d be at 70%. Idk if it’s based on 10k intervals, but I plan to change at 5k since the dealer did the last one and probably used shitty oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does your receipt list the type of oil? I need to find mine and check that, but I think the dealer would use one of the approved oils.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Everyone has their own personal program on what they pay for vs do it themselves. Oil changes for an ecodiesel is so stinking easy I wonder why more guys don't do it themselves. Install a Fumoto ball valve in place of the oil drain plug (once) and from now on oil changes are easy. Put a piece of tubing on the valve nipple (available from Fumoto or any auto parts store) and place it into a container. No drips, no spills, yup it's easy. Heck, with the top of engine cartridge filter it's as easy as it gets. I actually look forward to oil changes because it gives me piece of mind knowing the correct filter and oil are used and I save a bunch from the dealer or indy shop.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
Install a Fumoto ball valve in place of the oil drain plug (once) and from now on oil changes are easy. Put a piece of tubing on the valve nipple (available from Fumoto or any auto parts store) and place it into a container. No drips, no spills, yup it's easy.
That won't work when you replace the measly stock pan for the AFE oil pan. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Laramie eco about to be tuned and deleted at 30k. Forget that it’s now hp tuned and deleted.
155 Posts
I don’t know why anyone would pay attention to that oil life gauge. It literally means nothing. I do mine at 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k… how hard is that?

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
I don’t know why anyone would pay attention to that oil life gauge. It literally means nothing. I do mine at 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k… how hard is that?
They do it for the same reasons that you do yours at 10K, 20K, 30K, 40K..... ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think there is oil-change "creep". If you change it at 9500 before a trip, then it's due at 19,500 and so on. Not to mention that some people grew up thinking that 5,000 miles is the limit, based on the technology of their youth.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts