RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called a local dealer today to see if they had the proper oil and filter in stock to do an oil change before I head on a long road trip the end of May. They informed me that the oil change on the Ecodiesels takes longer that others. The service manager said that once the drained the oil the truck would have to sit for ~15-20 minutes before they could add the new oil. Has anyone heard of this and if it is true why would they need to do that?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not at the dealer, this was over the phone. They do not require an appointment for an oil change with any other vehicle, but they do require one for the ecodiesels. I was on the phone to schedule it for next week along with the recall, and that is when he told me that it would take the extra time for the oil changes. I asked him why and he didn't have a clear answer, just told me that is what the computer screen was telling him. He guessed time for the engine to cool, but that doesn't make since to me. They don't have to wait for other engines to cool.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Either to ensure more of the old oil drains or for other things to do at the same time...maybe drain the water trap for the fuel. Guessing, but this doesn't sound unrealistic, what they're saying.

Can't recall how much oil the ED carries, but I seem to recall its a decent amount, and if it's capacity is greater than a gas engine, it can take longer to drain overall. Different internal engine architecture can hold oil in spots in different ways, etc, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had some oil changes left over from my 09 ram and they said they would trade those two for the one on the diesel. So no charge at this time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I was told 125.99 yesterday.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
213 Posts
Either to ensure more of the old oil drains or for other things to do at the same time...maybe drain the water trap for the fuel. Guessing, but this doesn't sound unrealistic, what they're saying.

Can't recall how much oil the ED carries, but I seem to recall its a decent amount, and if it's capacity is greater than a gas engine, it can take longer to drain overall. Different internal engine architecture can hold oil in spots in different ways, etc, etc.
10.5 quarts

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
$125 seems like a decent price given the quantity and quality of oil involved. I was looking at the possibility of doing my own, but I don't know if I can beat that!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am curious to see if this engine will go 10k miles between changes. My 2012 Cummins was supposed to make it 7500 between changes and that never happened. With all the emission equipment that Cummins engine had way too much fuel dilution in the oil to make it more than 5k miles. I do understand that by running DEF fluid the engines rely less on EGR and post injection events to meet the standards so only time will tell if it makes it.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
When my dealer threw in 4 free oil changes I really got a deal.

I'm thinking they want an appointment because of parts and oil availability

·
Registered
27 Posts
This wait time is due to the design, many cavities keeps oil that it requires for it to drain longer bur at a trickle. The amount of oil level checked is to be done right after firing it for about a min. You check the oil and it should be between the min and max. After you turn it off and let it sit obviously the longer it sits the more the dipstick will show because it would have all drain to the pan. For you to get all the oil out will require wait and 15-20min is normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts