RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No 'change oil soon' or 'change oil in 100 miles', no notice at all, out of the blue, just over 5,000 miles since I changed and reset it. Any thoughts on what triggers this: Can it tell if I've (inadvertently) run a few tanks of B20, or overheating of either coolant or oil (neither happened tho), or maybe the computer hiccuped and reset/rebooted? Battery hasn't been unhooked (still orig, 2015) and hasn't been near the dealer but I do need to go in for the W58 or 68 or whatever...

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 17 did something similar 2 weeks after I brought it home Deg 31, 2019, I ordered a filter and got oil and changed it, reset it & everything has been fine, I figured it didn't get changed or rest at the dealership.
I think the algorythm monitors idle time, running time, and maybe load. I change mine around 6000 miles unless I get a notification, it usually has around 40-50% left, 40% remaining at 6k miles would be right in line with the 10k monitor interval estimation. It's all a guess!

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,389 Posts
For a 2015, it's got to be a glitch. It's not that smart to tell what fuel you use, or how many miles you towed your RV.

When I owned my 2017 Ecodiesel, the oil use meter was nothing more then a "clock" based on miles, and nothing more. 1000 miles = 10%, 10,000 miles = 100%. 6,200 miles = 62%, etc. I towed often, it did not matter. 100 miles per one percent.

I'll take it for granted you keep a log of oil and filter changes, whether you do it or someone else does.

Let me ask you this, what is going to be more accurate, pencil and paper or some electronic gadget? The oil change parameters are pretty clear in the manual, I would stick to that, keep good records, and not worry about it. It could trip if you do a lot of idling, there is an hourly max between oil changes.

I had the hour meter on my Ecodiesel, reset to zero by itself, for no particular reason. Gremlins perhaps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
2015 JGC did same thing 6-7 months ago. Just went ahead & changed the oil & filter.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I know the oil/filter are just fine and I usually do the 10k change. Light duty, no 'events' but I'm wondering if there was some kind of drive line 'event' that may have caused this? Otherwise, just Status quo as far as I've noticed lately..

·
Premium Member
14,050 Posts
Always say, “nuts to it” with those computer things. Just keep a record of your mileage and change when you think the mileage is right for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose I'll just reset it to get rid of the annoying message that pops up every time I start it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
No 'change oil soon' or 'change oil in 100 miles', no notice at all, out of the blue, just over 5,000 miles since I changed and reset it. Any thoughts on what triggers this: Can it tell if I've (inadvertently) run a few tanks of B20, or overheating of either coolant or oil (neither happened tho), or maybe the computer hiccuped and reset/rebooted? Battery hasn't been unhooked (still orig, 2015) and hasn't been near the dealer but I do need to go in for the W58 or 68 or whatever...
Hi: pizza442... Oil you have to do is change it!!! These trucks give out "Fake News" oil the time!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
I suppose I'll just reset it to get rid of the annoying message that pops up every time I start it.
Yes at a minimum reset it since your truck will be prevented from doing regens and go into limp mode at some point soon.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes at a minimum reset it since your truck will be prevented from doing regens and go into limp mode at some point soon.
It will? I figured there was something up with this message; the usual message is 'change oil now', not 'oil change required' but to tell you the truth, it was in the middle of a regen when I parked at home yesterday. Could smell it and the exhaust was 'tinging' like crazy from being hot, even tho the message was still there.

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
It will? I figured there was something up with this message; the usual message is 'change oil now', not 'oil change required' but to tell you the truth, it was in the middle of a regen when I parked at home yesterday. Could smell it and the exhaust was 'tinging' like crazy from being hot, even tho the message was still there.
Limp mode and no regen due to over-due oil change has been reported on the forum several times.

From the 2015 owners manual:

Oil Life Reset
Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change
indicator system. The “Oil Change Required” message
will display in the EVIC after a single chime has sounded,
to indicate the next scheduled oil change interval. The
engine oil change indicator system is duty cycle based,
which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate,
dependent upon your personal driving style.

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE
Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change
indicator system. The oil change indicator system will
remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for
scheduled maintenance.
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Oil
Change Required”
message is displayed. Severe Operating
Conditions will cause the change oil message to
illuminate more frequently. Have your vehicle serviced
as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting, stands to reason I suppose. Still wonder why it popped up super early all of a sudden. I had none of the operating conditions listed above. Oh well, no harm no foul...reset and resume

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check the percentage on the oil life monitor, maybe it holds a clue, or did you forget to reset it.
It showed 0% whereas it was at about 40% last time I had looked about a week ago. I reset it now. I'm at 92,470 and I last changed it at 86,928 so just under 4,000 to go...

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,389 Posts
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change
indicator message will illuminate. This means that service
is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions
such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or
cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Oil
Change Required”
message is displayed. Severe Operating
Conditions will cause the change oil message to
illuminate more frequently. Have your vehicle serviced
as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).
Looks good on paper, and I've read that page too, but......

On March 21 of 2019, we hitched up the RV to the 2017 Ecodiesel (GDE tuned) and went on a 14,500 mile RV trip for ten weeks.

Towing did not make one hill of beans difference to the oil life meter. The truck ran hot the whole time too, like all Ecodiesels when towing, and it did not change nothing for the oil life meter.
Nada. I got a oil analysis done when we got back home after that trip. The oil, despite being hell hot all the time, looked so good Blackstone thought I was just doing a lot of empty freeway driving.

You do know they say the same thing about the oil pressure gauge, the manual reads like the gauge actually works, but it doesn't. Its a pretty but a fake gauge. When I installed a real oil pressure gauge, the OEM gauge was not even close when cold, I would get over 100 psi of engine oil pressure when the engine was cold.

I don't know what to say, but since I change my own oil and keep impeccable records, I'll go with my experience, and that is this. It's a CLOCK based on miles off the odometer.

Pencil and paper will always overrule the "computer" here.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've had the change oil screen pop up sometime after an oil change, maybe around 4000 miles. All the dealer could come up with was a glitch in the mileage meter. No issues since then. Although I did have to figure out how to reset after my first and second change at the dealer. The tech never reset as part of the wrap up.

·
Administrator
9,738 Posts
Looks good on paper, and I've read that page too, but......

On March 21 of 2019, we hitched up the RV to the 2017 Ecodiesel (GDE tuned) and went on a 14,500 mile RV trip for ten weeks.

Towing did not make one hill of beans difference to the oil life meter. The truck ran hot the whole time too, like all Ecodiesels when towing, and it did not change nothing for the oil life meter.
Nada. I got a oil analysis done when we got back home after that trip. The oil, despite being hell hot all the time, looked so good Blackstone thought I was just doing a lot of empty freeway driving.

You do know they say the same thing about the oil pressure gauge, the manual reads like the gauge actually works, but it doesn't. Its a pretty but a fake gauge. When I installed a real oil pressure gauge, the OEM gauge was not even close when cold, I would get over 100 psi of engine oil pressure when the engine was cold.

I don't know what to say, but since I change my own oil and keep impeccable records, I'll go with my experience, and that is this. It's a CLOCK based on miles off the odometer.

Pencil and paper will always overrule the "computer" here.
My 2014 was always the same as your experience.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts