RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have 1400 miles on my ED and it seems to want a quart & half of oil. It also threw a check engine light yesterday after fueling; Anyone have similar oil consumption and/or CE lights? Oil is black and stinks, too, which I kinda expected from a diesel....

·
Registered
281 Posts
wow, that sux!!! thanx for the heads up. the only post i've seen concerning oil consumption was 1/2 qt low at a 10,000 mi oil change. hope all turns out well. keep us posted & good luck.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
hummmmm..............

I guess I'll have to go check my oil.

BUT... with that being said... did you check your oil after you got the truck? Are you sure it wasn't delivered low?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Great point tony!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was 1/2 quart low at about 1500 miles. Seemed good after that up to my 2500 oil change. Be sure to let it sit for about 30 minutes. That is what the manual says. Different than what I am used to but that is what is written.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The dipstick location also seems sensitive to if you're parked on any kind of incline. I checked mine a while ago in driveway which is at a slight grade and it read close to a quart low...checked it the next day on garage floor and read perfectly on full mark. It had been sitting over an hour both times so I'm sure all oil was drained back to the pan. The driveway grade never made a difference in any of my past vehicles.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Oh oh. That's NOT normal. Top it to where you can see a mark and drive some more. Watch. If it drops unusually, head to the dealer.

Been watching mine. Only checked it on the level so had no issues and the level was always repeatable. Very little oil consumption.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx, will keep everyone posted. I forgot to check oil level until 800 mi, at which point looked a little down. I put a quart of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L in tonite and will check again in AM after sitting all night. Still need to go into dealer to check the engine code, from what I understand, a number needing the software reflash (mine is one) have thrown a CE code....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine's barely dropped from when I first accepted it. Waiting a few hundred more miles till I hit my 3K mark until I do an oil change and then we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
that is a very important thing to note, as DOHC motors, especially diesels (thicker oil) will hold oil in the heads for a long time. we get semi drivers in all the time saying that there oil is low in there ISX cummins (dohc motor) tell them to wait a little and try again. usually all is well.

Reactions: JAK

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Either that or it came a bit low... checked mine dead nuts on the full line almost 4K now

·
Registered
438 Posts
3,500 miles and my oil level is at the same place as delivery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine came with the level between full and add, I will add to bring to full, half liter , still over 9 liters in the pan.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - at the dealer now. Code for CE light was for catalyst temperature - bank 1. It also threw for unprogrammed catalyst loop. Reflash fixed it, there is a service bulletin out 18-028-14 Rev A. Problem solved without an appointment in just under an hour. Props to the dealer!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife had the engine light pop up today with code P0420, the dealer flashed the same code from the TSB referenced above 18-028-14, anyone have details on what that bulletin states?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts