RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ecodiesel owners,

What are you finding for oil consumption on your engines? I see the owners manual says no special breakin required but light loading could cause breakin to take longer. Anyhow, my truck is 2 weeks old and 700 miles and I checked the oil for the first time and find it down a quart. Truck has only been used lightly except for some testing acceration runs. However I did not check it when I first picked it up so I do not know if it was full.

Will get a quart from the dealer Monday and add it and see what happens. Will switch to Amsoil at the first change. They have a good low sap 5-30.

I haven;t found a source for oil filters yet except Mopar. No Wix, Baldwin or Napa Gold. Anyone with a good source?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine was almost at the add line the day after I picked it up, added a half liter, has not moved in 2000 kms. Dealer told me that's the way they were delivered

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drews50,

Yes it was overnight in the garage on a dead level slab. However, I must say the dipstick is very hard to read. (even with a light and reading glasses) I took a 3 cornered file and made a shiny line at the full and add oil line. I'll go by the dealer Tuesday and see if they'll donate a quart to me. Sounds like there is no history of these engines burning oil from new.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Drews50,

Yes it was overnight in the garage on a dead level slab. However, I must say the dipstick is very hard to read. (even with a light and reading glasses) I took a 3 cornered file and made a shiny line at the full and add oil line. I'll go by the dealer Tuesday and see if they'll donate a quart to me. Sounds like there is no history of these engines burning oil from new.
That's a good idea, I might have to do the same thing. Thanks

·
Registered
638 Posts
Howie, same with mine. I was down a quart when I checked just after taking delivery. I've put about 2,000 Km's on it since and it's stayed pretty much where it was the day I topped it up, just a hair over the full mark.

I find it hard to get a consistent reading on the dipstick though. Truck has to be perfectly level and off for quite a while. The slightest incline will throw off the reading substantially. It must have to do with the small sump of the oil pan--my hemi was never this picky. Lol

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update on my original post. After adding some oil 4000 miles ago the level has not moved at all. My assumption now is that it was delivered about a quart low.

·
Registered
31 Posts
quick question, are we supposed to go off of the oil life monitor or the dealer told me every 5000km? not sure what to believe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That was my thought. Thank you. I have always followed with previous vehicles. Dealer is on glue lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I did mine at 8200 ( not the dealer ) but only because I'm getting ready to do some hauling and then traveling with the TT. Did not want to have to mess around with it in between trips. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Ecodiesel and it used over a gallon of oil in the first 7000 miles. The dealer says Ram thinks this is not a problem. I also have an oil leak appearing below the oil filter but it is not coming from filter. Dealer says they can't find leak and gave the truck back. My question is do I need a new truck or a new dealer?
Also, right after I changed the oil and when the engine is cold overnight, the dipstick shows the oil level at minimum. After I run the engine and shut it off, it shows the oil level as max. I know this sounds crazy but I have checked this a dozen times and it is always the same. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My truck (ecodiesel) always shows a quart low when the truck has set overnight. When you start the truck and run it and then let it set for a while it shows full. This is counterintuitive and does not make sense. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Mine dropped a quart on it's first hard tow back around 5,000 miles. After topping off, never again.

Scratching lines on the dipstick with a file is what I did to see the level easier.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My truck (ecodiesel) always shows a quart low when the truck has set overnight. When you start the truck and run it and then let it set for a while it shows full. This is counterintuitive and does not make sense. Anyone else experience this?
There are previous posts addressing the oil level reading problem. Before you start your truck check your engine oil. Then reinsert dipstick again and I bet it will appear 3/4-1 qt higher. I have concluded that when the truck cools down and oil drains down into the pan overnight a pressure builds up in the dipstick tube and the oil does not rise up the tube to the level in the sump. AS you can see the top of the dipstick has an O-ring so it seals tightly. Also if you just pull the dipstick out an inch or two to relieve the pressure and give it a moment for the oil to rise and then push the dipstick back in and then pull it and read it the level will be correct.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Ram has a TSB on this and Howie has described the proper way to check the oil on the EcoDiesel.

As for oil consumption, my truck was a quart low by the time the first oil change was due. After that, I'm usually consuming a 1/2 quart between oil changes (10,000 miles)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts