RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone, so my 5yr warranty is up this month, and after 5yrs of literally no additional maintenance required, except for few factory recalls, I've decided that I only have one real complaint about my truck. Anytime I change my oil, the filter housing NEVER drains the oil and it ends up with a solid half cup on the floor and half cup pooled in the housing. I asked the local dealership if this is something that should be covered under the powertrain warranty and the service guy said only if the housing was cracked... Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is this worth taking up to FCA customer service and seeing what they will do?

·
Registered
13,530 Posts
Hi smittie. Drive by you often to go to my hunting camp near Preston.

So who is changing your oil? Seems there might be a problem with the changer. Crack the oil filter cover and let things sit. There's a little plunger that is pushed down by the filter that drains things out. Wait for it to drain maybe a minute or three or so. Then unscrew things the rest of the way and yank the filter out.

Sure there's still a little bit of oil left in there. Wait some more. It drips down in time while you then go under, open the pan drain and let it pour out. That takes maybe another 10-15 minutes. Now look at the filter housing. Sure there may be a drop or three but so what? Push in a new filter and forget about it or, if real anal on the ounce or less visible, stick in a paper towel and soak it up. On TV I think they advertise a brand that is best for oil spills.

Patience is the key. the right sequence and some time to drip down is the secret. Shhh. It's a secret as we don't want people to know, love their Ecodiesels, demand more and cause price rises.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 18 does something similar. I take out the drain bolt and then just loosen the filter cap. Wait until the oil is finished draining then remove the filter completely. Typically, oil is still standing in the housing. I wait another 20+ minutes and it has drained down, wipe out the housing and put the new filter in.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I believe the 2014 model doesn't have the drain-back feature in the filter housing that is found in the '15+ models. There's nothing wrong with your truck, it just wasn't designed as well as the later oil filter housing. You can probably swap out for a later filter housing but that entire thing on the side of the engine would need replaced.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the 2014 model doesn't have the drain-back feature in the filter housing that is found in the '15+ models. There's nothing wrong with your truck, it just wasn't designed as well as the later oil filter housing. You can probably swap out for a later filter housing but that entire thing on the side of the engine would need replaced.
From what I researched it looks like this is correct, and its dang frustrating. I much prefer if it was just an oz like the Capt suggests, however, its overflowing, no matter how little or how much I crack the cap and let it sit. I priced out a housing that has the drain back feature,,, $250ish dollars so I'll just stick to the rags. to catch the spillage. Either way, 70K and still running strong so I feel good about keeping her another 5yrs. Unless of course, they come out with an ecodiesel hybrid truck that gets 40 mpg :)

·
Registered
4,456 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Not much help when it leaks the second the cap is loosened. No room to get anything in there.
Did know that would happen. Stuff an old rag towel around it b4 removal i suppose. Same issue with the side mounted Yamaha oil filters on my F115 outboards...

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
939 Posts
Well I don't have that issue of cracking the filter housing and oil gushes out! I can see how that would piss me off!

I would start with some Chevron oil sorbent pads for sure, and stick a couple under the filter housing.

The syringe is a nice idea too, but those rubber plungers will swell with the engine oil, and they are done. I've seen syringes that do not have the rubber plunger ends, just hard plastic, making them reusable. Think animal stuff for those.

In the end, I would be looking for new/used filter housing.

·
Registered
13,530 Posts
All the side mounted filters are like that.

I have twin F150's on my boat. All my newer Harleys have that side mounted front filter. Both the Yamaha and Honda quads I have are the same. Even the Cub Cadet zero turn is designed that way. You loosen the filter and get a mess. Time got eh S-100 and a hose at each oil change on these things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts