1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the consensus on filters?

The mopar website specifies filter 68229402AA, msrp $60
Other searches have suggested MO-744, msrp $10

Does anyone know if the cheaper filter will work in our trucks?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
60 bucks for an oil filter??? How can that be right.....the hemi i drive right now if i get the fram synthetic high end one is only 12.99

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
First... Fram filters suck. They are known to collapse internally... and Cummins will actually deny the warranty if your engine has one in it.

But... that aside... the reason it's so expensive is, that our engines are new in the USA... and the aftermarket hasn't caught up yet. I'm guessing that in the next few months... all the main players will have one available. (WIX, Napa, Purolator, etc)

I know it may be too late for PH... but for anyone buying a new ED... get a couple oil changes thrown in with the deal. That way you won't have to pay for the $60 filter, and the $100 worth of oil.

FYI guys... have you looked at the oil spec yet? You CAN NOT run a standard automotive oil. It will destroy the DPF. The Euro spec oil is crazy expensive... but Rotella T5 should be fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
FYI guys... have you looked at the oil spec yet? You CAN NOT run a standard automotive oil. It will destroy the DPF. The Euro spec oil is crazy expensive... but Rotella T5 should be fine.
Make sure the oil has a API CJ-4 spec minimum. I don't think it is quite as stringent as the Euro Acea c3 spec.
CJ-4 Service Category Description

1. Why was the new API CJ-4 oil performance category developed?
New emission standards for heavy-duty engines will be phased in between 2007 and 2010. Engines meeting these new standards will be equipped with advanced emission control technologies, including diesel particulate filters (DPF) and in most cases exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). The new API CJ-4 performance category was developed to address both the unique needs of these new engines and to protect older engines while enhancing the life of the emission control system as required for regulatory compliance.

·
Registered
231 Posts
are we saying to get an oil change on these trucks using proper oil and filter will be $160 just for oil and filter? If that is the case I will tell them next Weds to keep the truck when it arrives that is crazy. I cant imagine the cost of the oil and the filter being more than $30 all in at most. I take my truck in now and get it all changed and filter for $20 tax included. That is them doing service.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Rotella oil is reasonable. The aftermarket has not caught up yet on filters. I've seen mopar filter for around $30.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Where is the oil filter. I tried fitting my fat booty inder the truck to look for it. Couldn't find it.

Fram sucks. Avoid at all costs.

If it is possible, look for an oversized filter. We found one for our CRDs. Went from 6.4qts to 7qts with the oversized.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
are we saying to get an oil change on these trucks using proper oil and filter will be $160 just for oil and filter? If that is the case I will tell them next Weds to keep the truck when it arrives that is crazy. I cant imagine the cost of the oil and the filter being more than $30 all in at most. I take my truck in now and get it all changed and filter for $20 tax included. That is them doing service.
Well... then you haven't owned a diesel before. LoL. this engine holds almost 3 gallons of oil. (10.5 qt) So, even a conventional oil will cost +$60 for that much. But with the new emissions systems... you need a certified no/low ash oil.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Where is the oil filter. I tried fitting my fat booty inder the truck to look for it. Couldn't find it.

Fram sucks. Avoid at all costs.

If it is possible, look for an oversized filter. We found one for our CRDs. Went from 6.4qts to 7qts with the oversized.

It's a cartridge, and not a spin-on. its on the drivers side, and you get to it from the top. pop the cover, and you will see the black cap beside the valve cover.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It's a cartridge, and not a spin-on. its on the drivers side, and you get to it from the top. pop the cover, and you will see the black cap beside the valve cover.
That explains it! I saw what you were talking about, also. I was like, "what is that?" Thinking something egr, because that is close to where mine is on the 2.8. I wonder how that will be to change?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
That explains it! I saw what you were talking about, also. I was like, "what is that?" Thinking something egr, because that is close to where mine is on the 2.8. I wonder how that will be to change?

The hemi and the pentastar have both changed over to that style. I'm sure you can find a vid on youtube from those engines.

It's funny.... my first car (68 RS Camaro) had a "Canister" filter... and ever since... they've been spin on's. (The new tech) Then... the EPA said... they send too much oil to the land fills, and make more waste. So... we are back to 1960's tec.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Don't ask me to be the first on that. My dealer told me today I have two years to get four oil changes FREE.

I will someday seek out a quart of the proper oil to carry with me just in case it drops at first.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased a case of the Mobil 1 ESP formula 5w-30 at a local auto parts store for $9.25/litre, not quart. That is about $.75 to $1.00 more per bottle (quart) than Mobil 1 for a gasoline engine. The ESP stands for Emissions System Protection. This is compression ignition formulated synthetic oil. Originally developed for Mercedes diesel engines.

As far as I know to date there is only this Mobil 1 and the Pennzoil that you can buy at the dealer. My dealer quoted me $9.25/bottle for the Pennzoil. Not sure if this is bottled in quarts or litres.

I found the OEM Mopar filter element at LeeParts.com for $36.28 each. I can only hope Wix comes out with a element within a few months or sooner. There has to be aftermarket oil filter elements available in Europe for this engine.

If anyone has a source for these elements at a lower price please post the ordering info.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Let me get on the email with idparts.com and see what I can find out.

·
Registered
592 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can't help with the filters yet but once Amsoil or Wix comes out with a part number I'll be sure to post it up. Amsoil does make a 5-30 low ash oil for those interested.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Can't help with the filters yet but once Amsoil or Wix comes out with a part number I'll be sure to post it up. Amsoil does make a 5-30 low ash oil for those interested.
You didn't even open the link did you?

Wix 57526

:)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You didn't even open the link did you?

Wix 57526

It's not the same filter as the ecodiesel.

But since he thinks WIX may be making the OEM MoPar filter... I'm sure there will be "Aftermarket" filters available shortly.

·
Registered
592 Posts
But that's the whole point of the article. They're comparing everything the crosses with the MO-744 filter.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts