RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am new to this forum but appreciate everything I have been reading.

I have a 2015 EcoDiesel Laramie with about 3,700 miles on it. I started seeing an oil drops in my garage after backing out.
I would say after about 5 hours of the truck being parked there is about a 1.5" diameter oil spot. I got under the truck and think believe the leak is coming from somewhere up high on the engine.
No indicator lights have tripped and everything else with the truck has been great.

Needless to say the truck is at the dealership today and I was just told they will need it overnight. I am assuming they are putting dye in the oil to chase down the leak.
I am thinking maybe a gasket issue?

Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts or suggestions?

My fear is this issue snowballs into many others. I don't trust dealerships AT ALL never will.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could be anything, gasket, loose bolt, crack, etc...or just some oil that was spilled on the engine just finding it's way down..I wouldn't sweat it...warranty will take care of it...I have about the same miles on my 2015 and so far not one issue...knock on wood!

Reactions: YBM

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only other oil leak I've seen mentioned here was a shaft seal leaking on a drive train component like a transfer case (I can't remember exactly, but it wasn't the engine).

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
There is no pattern of oil leak issues with the motor.

You have that unusual issue that sometimes crops up. Dealer should find and repair.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It smelled and seemed like motor oil but I suppose it could have been transfer case fluid. What was the issue with your transfer case?

Thank you all for your help with this.

-AJB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update from the dealership

They are saying it was caused from a bolt on the engine cover not being torqued properly. They asked to keep the truck overnight and check in the morning when its cold.
This engine cover bolt leaking doesnt seem to make sense to me. Anyone else have thoughts?

I told the service guy I would like the mechanic to show me the issue when I get there tomorrow.

-Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for input.
Just curious I have a hybrid camper just like yours but I havent towed it yet with my EcoDiesel. Any issues? Happy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts