RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there Eco-Crew. Just had my oil changed at my local dealer (only $139) and they are telling me I have an oil leak and that they need to replace a gasket or 2 and may need the truck all day in order to do this. It's covered under my extended warranty -or maybe they meant the AEM extended warranty.
So, no sign of leaking anywhere I park. Nothing. Nada.
I only went to the dealer because of the price and at 95K+ miles I wanted an estimate of upcoming maintenance. It even required (for me) removing my GDE tuned ECU and installing the stock ECU. That was about 10 days ago and still no drips on the ground -not even after driving 500+ miles of freeway (70-90 mph.)
I want some opinions on what they would do. I'm going to get some brake cleaner or degreaser and my pressure washer and clean things up a bit just to see, but I'm wondering if a previous tech spilled oil or if I really do have a minor leak.
I'm not sure I want the dealer tearing my truck apart when it has been trouble free so far...

·
Registered
83 Posts
What is your aversion to having the work done and gaskets replace outside of the hassle of swapping ECU's and the downtime? To me, if the dealer is willing to do the somewhat major work of replacing these gaskets at no cost, I'd be all in for it.

What would your thought be if the situation was reversed in which you found the leaks after they were under the truck and said nothing?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Personally I wouldn't and dont want a tech touching my truck for a seep. Unless the leak is causing a drip I wouldn't let them work on it even under warranty. It might seem harmless but they often screw other stuff up while doing the work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is your aversion to having the work done and gaskets replace outside of the hassle of swapping ECU's and the downtime? To me, if the dealer is willing to do the somewhat major work of replacing these gaskets at no cost, I'd be all in for it.

What would your thought be if the situation was reversed in which you found the leaks after they were under the truck and said nothing?
If I found that out, that would be the last time they saw my truck. That's not my worry. My worry is if they F something up doing the work, then I'm without my truck for a longer period, or -worse, I'm going back and forth for months.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Are you currently living in Idaho? I split time between Cd'A and Tetonia. The dealer I'm referring to is in the Panhandle

·
Registered
83 Posts
Are you currently living in Idaho? I split time between Cd'A and Tetonia. The dealer I'm referring to is in the Panhandle
No, I am from Sandpoint but out in North Carolina in the military.

I guess it comes down to confidence in the dealer and the techs they have working for them. There has definitely been a spread of good and bad as seen by threads on there. Dealers who voluntarily got bigger warranty work done for some while covering it under the guise of being found while fixing a smaller issue, and some who have reported dealers not doing what they said they were or leaving grease marks in their vehicle. I suppose I am just taking the perspective of trusting my local dealer and thinking these gaskets are something that could be hundreds or over $1,000 to replace later on if outside of that AEM extended warranty. In my own experience, I have never seen leaks "get better", just stay consistent or get worse so I picture that as something I'd have fixed if they are offering to do it on their dime.

Did they offer a loaner while working on your truck?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I am from Sandpoint but out in North Carolina in the military.

I guess it comes down to confidence in the dealer and the techs they have working for them. There has definitely been a spread of good and bad as seen by threads on there. Dealers who voluntarily got bigger warranty work done for some while covering it under the guise of being found while fixing a smaller issue, and some who have reported dealers not doing what they said they were or leaving grease marks in their vehicle. I suppose I am just taking the perspective of trusting my local dealer and thinking these gaskets are something that could be hundreds or over $1,000 to replace later on if outside of that AEM extended warranty. In my own experience, I have never seen leaks "get better", just stay consistent or get worse so I picture that as something I'd have fixed if they are offering to do it on their dime.

Did they offer a loaner while working on your truck?
They won't offer a loaner, but I can ask for one.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My timing chaim cover was leaking too. I watched it for about year and when it got bad enough I had them fix it.

They remove the whole cab for accessibility and the repair involves adding more RTV, not a new gasket. 🙁 My dealer definitely wasn't excited to do the job.

So it's up to you. Maybe if it has to go in for the new EGR cooler?

·
Registered
83 Posts
They won't offer a loaner, but I can ask for one.
That's another thing about "dealer confidence" I suppose. My local dealer scoffed at the idea of getting me a loaner during an EGR replacement. I ended up declining them doing the work due to this and past experiences. I was just at another dealer about 30 miles away for a coolant leak. When I brought the truck in, their first response was "I'm going to pull a loaner around for you while we diagnose what the issue is" which immediately changed my dealer preference. They are a smaller dealer that was bought by a much larger one about a year ago so maybe that has something to do with it, but just that aspect of customer service helps with confidence in their work. As for my truck repair, they did a solid job and got it done fairly quickly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My timing chaim cover was leaking too. I watched it for about year and when it got bad enough I had them fix it.

They remove the whole cab for accessibility and the repair involves adding more RTV, not a new gasket. 🙁 My dealer definitely wasn't excited to do the job.

So it's up to you. Maybe if it has to go in for the new EGR cooler?
Are you able to see the timing chain cover area from the top, side, or bottom of the engine compartment?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I wonder why the dealer's tech didn't do that to pinpoint the leak. They suspect the oil pan but also stated it could be something else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts