RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know there are several threads on resetting the oil life meter, but my problem seems to be slightly different. Sorry to multi-post, but the thread I made in the Maintenance section wasn't getting any love.

A week or so ago, I installed a GDE tuned ECM (thing is magic by the way) on my 2016 ED, and followed their directions to reset the oil life meter. Ignition to 'RUN', gas pedal to the floor three times in the first 10 sec, ignition off. Turned the truck on, and the 'Change oil now' message is gone, and the meter shows 100% life and '0 miles since reset'.

However, in my next few hundred miles of driving, the oil life counter isn't decreasing at all. It still shows 100%, and '0 miles since reset'. I used the EVIC menus to reset the counter again, with no change to this behavior, and even did the ignition/pedal operation again. Oil life counter still stuck on 100%.

It's not really an issue because I change at even 10k intervals anyway, but does anyone know how to fix this annoyance?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
That is reading like a problem with the EVC and that feature, not anything you did or GDE.

Don't quite remember your procedure for re-setting but it may be correct. I just don't remember pushing the throttle up and down when I do it. Now you are smart to say phooey. I never had such a gizmo all my driving life. Keep my mileage in the book so I can see when to change the oil. If it were a real problem and cost money to fix, mine would be like yours.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
876 Posts
I went through that procedure, had the instructions printed in my hand.

It didn't carry over my oil life to the new ecm either, though the countdown % always worked.

Capt has it right, pencil and paper is bullet proof, I use the back of my manual to list all of my maintenance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resurrecting this topic with my latest oil change...

Recap of my truck's behavior: installed GDE ECM @44k mi, was able to reset oil life meter using display menus to 100%, but no matter what, oil life meter always showed '0 mi since change' even as the '% life' ticked down.

Changed oil just ahead of 50k mi, reset life using cluster display menus, same behavior--watch oil life tick down from 100%, without 'since change' ticking up.

Now, I've just performed the pre-60k mi oil change and other service, and I seem to be unable to reset the oil life meter this time. Whether clicking through the cluster menu 10+ times (Press and hold > to reset, scroll to OK, Press >) on the advice seen in this and other RAM forums, or trying the 'three pedal press' trick (that worked on initial ECM install), I am having no luck resetting the oil life meter to 100%.

Any ideas? The oil is fresh now, but it's annoying to get the 'change oil immediately' warning on every startup now that the dash computer thinks I'm below 3% life remaining...

·
Registered
137 Posts
It should be Key On (not just ACC), without pressing the brake. Gas pedal completely to the floor, and off, 3 times in 5 seconds.

The cluster also should work, but I found that a bit finicky! Like, I never seemed to hold the button correctly or something.

You may also get the guy at your local part store to reset it for you through the PCM if they are using a premium scan tool that reads more than just generic OBD codes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It should be Key On (not just ACC), without pressing the brake. Gas pedal completely to the floor, and off, 3 times in 5 seconds.

The cluster also should work, but I found that a bit finicky! Like, I never seemed to hold the button correctly or something.

You may also get the guy at your local part store to reset it for you through the PCM if they are using a premium scan tool that reads more than just generic OBD codes!
I'll keep trying the gas pedal method...

You mention the possibility of using a scan tool. Does anyone know if AlfaOBD can tweak this meter reading?

·
Super Moderator
4,168 Posts
In AlfaOBD is an Oil Change Service Information update in the Engine Control Unit procedure list. It says it's for resetting the counter after performing an oil change.
Don't see anything else that looks like it deals with oil life monitoring

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In AlfaOBD is an Oil Change Service Information update in the Engine Control Unit procedure list. It says it's for resetting the counter after performing an oil change.
Don't see anything else that looks like it deals with oil life monitoring
Perfect, thanks! Sounds like I can fix this with Alfa, and was already planning on getting a copy to vin/injector match a space ECM I picked up for AEM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for posterity--AlfaOBD was able to reset the Oil Life for me in one click, after all these other methods were fruitless. Thanks again folks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts