RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been smelling oil off and on over the past few months of ownership. Truck is a 2015 with about 109k.

Noticed this tonight, appears to be oil. Have not seen any visual drips on the ground as of yet.

Any guesses on where it's coming from?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Auto part Gas Metal Automotive wheel system

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cleaned it up and am going to keep an eye on it. Much of the sediment was old, and it hasn't gotten bad enough to drip yet.

I did notice however that the truck seems to be sipping coolant.

Automotive lighting Liquid Ingredient Hood Fluid

The top pic was today, the bottom one was taken on 11/30, or about 3,300 miles ago. There may have been minor temp differences on the two photos.

If I stick my nose against the grill after the trucks been up to temp it smells a bit like burnt coolant.

Any ideas?

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a service throttle light a few months ago. Despite the truck having a hot tune, the crossover tube appeared to have some oily moisture on it.

Could the EGR be internally leaking or is some moisture normal?

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Tire Automotive exterior

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Did you clean the diffuser tube after the "hot tune"? I tuned at 5000 miles and cleaned the tube at 100k, it looked about the same. Cleaned MAP sensor at same time. Even 5,000 miles untuned causes a lot of crud. Put a bottle on the overflow hose to check if a bit of coolant burps out, kinda normal if towing, I believe. I would live with the timing cover leak for the time being. Minor oil leak = free rustproofing. Yes the EGR coolers can leak coolant into the intake manifold. Mine never will, as I deleted it at 100,000 miles when warrantee ran out.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not checked the diffuser tube since I last cleaned it, the PO must have never cleaned that or the MAP at the time of tuning either. I will pull the tube tomorrow and take a look.

Sent off my last 2 oil samples to Blackstone today. Half tempted to park it until those come back.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
The top pic was today, the bottom one was taken on 11/30, or about 3,300 miles ago. There may have been minor temp differences on the two photos.

Any ideas?
There's not enough difference in those photos to be worried. It's normal for the coolant level to fluctuate in the degass bottle. If the fluid drops below the seam, then you need to start inspecting for coolant leaks.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
I have not checked the diffuser tube since I last cleaned it, the PO must have never cleaned that or the MAP at the time of tuning either. I will pull the tube tomorrow and take a look.

Sent off my last 2 oil samples to Blackstone today. Half tempted to park it until those come back.
I would be surprised if Blackstone finds any coolant contamination. That being said, an EGR delete is not a bad idea, unless you were still under warrantee.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
915 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Looks similar to a timing cover leak.

My post linked below, has a few pictures of my own leak and copy of the dealer’s warranty work order. The dealer diagnosed the leak caused by cylinder head gasket leak on one side of the engine.
Possible Oil Leak

It seems to be a rather common issue.

· Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel fully deleted 6"lift 35" venom terra hunter
25 Posts
Been smelling oil off and on over the past few months of ownership. Truck is a 2015 with about 109k.

Noticed this tonight, appears to be oil. Have not seen any visual drips on the ground as of yet.

Any guesses on where it's coming from? View attachment 93560
View attachment 93561
Mine had a coolant leak when i bought it found red on my driveway. come to find out there was a line that cracked that connected to the turbo as its water cooled dealer fixed but it was $$$$ i saw the quote. The oil leak my 2015 is doing the exact same thing. Took back to dealer( im not visibly loosing oil when i check it, levels relatively the same.) they said it was a front cover leak but its more of a seep not enough like yours to drip. They said at this time i can get it fixed but its not bad enough to justify fixing it in my mind yet.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine had a coolant leak when i bought it found red on my driveway. come to find out there was a line that cracked that connected to the turbo as its water cooled dealer fixed but it was $$$$ i saw the quote. The oil leak my 2015 is doing the exact same thing. Took back to dealer( im not visibly loosing oil when i check it, levels relatively the same.) they said it was a front cover leak but its more of a seep not enough like yours to drip. They said at this time i can get it fixed but its not bad enough to justify fixing it in my mind yet.
Thanks, I've read about that coolant line breaking. I brake cleaned the front of the motor the other week and so far I haven't noticed any more seepage.

Thinking back on it the residue really didn't have much of a smell to it, so I wonder if it was old.

· Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel fully deleted 6"lift 35" venom terra hunter
25 Posts
Thanks, I've read about that coolant line breaking. I brake cleaned the front of the motor the other week and so far I haven't noticed any more seepage.

Thinking back on it the residue really didn't have much of a smell to it, so I wonder if it was old.
when i first saw it. it was the day after my oil change from the dealer i had a puddle under my truck on my drive way ( I FREAKED OUT lol)took it right back to them after checking my oil level. they told me it was from the cover BULLSHIT. they had spilled oil while filling my truck back up and i think filled a valley up and the spot where the cap is because they checked and i hadn't lost any oil. so i dont know if its from them spilling oil or not. but it hasnt got wetter or worse since then that was last oil change and im 4000 in to my new one. so grain of salt lol.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Any idea on what might cause the magnesium high?
Magnesium was flagged because it appears to be satanic. Afterall, 666 can't be good. :oops:

All joking aside, magnesium is an additive, not a wear metal, so no concern there. (y)

Reactions: j98

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, interesting development here tonight.

I had a little bit of moisture on the front cover again so I started digging. Again the leak did not smell or feel like oil.

This is the pulley right between the valley. Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like it is reddish coolant on the housing? Is there a housing that can fail or is my best bet replacing the failure prone coolant hose going to the turbo?

Automotive tire Grey Wood Helmet Rim

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

Find #2 :

The truck is running a off-road tune. Since my last oil change with T6 it has been absolutely reeking at idle/stoplights. Changed it to Delo tonight to see if it'll help.

I know these trucks have a crankcase vent, but is this amount of oil even normal or should I be looking into other issues?

Plumbing fixture Plumbing fitting Plumbing Household hardware Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Musical instrument Gas

· Registered
4,296 Posts
This is the pulley right between the valley. Correct me if I'm wrong but that looks like it is reddish coolant on the housing? Is there a housing that can fail or is my best bet replacing the failure prone coolant hose going to the turbo?
Typically, there are two signs when the turbo coolant hose has sprung a leak.
1. A lot of people say they can smell coolant.
2. If they identify a leak, it is most often coming down the back of the block and sometimes seen around the transmission bellhousing.

I'm not sure what you're seeing at the front of the engine. I'm not saying it can't be coming from the turbo coolant hose, but it seems that most coolant leaks at the front of the engine are coming from the water pump or the crossover tube.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Typically, there are two signs when the turbo coolant hose has sprung a leak.
1. A lot of people say they can smell coolant.
2. If they identify a leak, it is most often coming down the back of the block and sometimes seen around the transmission bellhousing.

I'm not sure what you're seeing at the front of the engine. I'm not saying it can't be coming from the turbo coolant hose, but it seems that most coolant leaks at the front of the engine are coming from the water pump or the crossover tube.

Whereabouts is that crossover tube located?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts