RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
4,320 Posts

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Any thoughts on the amount of oil seen on the diffuser tube and and take manifold mouthpiece?
Since you bought the truck used, we don't have a good history. Does your truck have the GDE EPA approved tune?

Otherwise, the diffuser tube looks fine.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Off road tune w/ EGR still installed. I have all the service records since new.

Unfamiliar with how much oil these ccvs vent if I should be looking into turbo seals.

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Off road tune w/ EGR still installed. I have all the service records since new.
If I remember correctly, the EGR function is completely disabled on your tune, but I could be wrong. I remember GDE saying that EGR was good in some conditions (mostly during warmup) and could improve fuel economy under certain conditions.

In regard to the GDE Off Road tune, I don't have the knowledge or experience to comment about the diffuser tube with any level of clarity. I was thinking the diffuser tube stayed clean when the EGR is fully disabled. It's possible that your diffuser tube has never been cleaned, so you're seeing residue from when the truck was stock.

Unfamiliar with how much oil these ccvs vent if I should be looking into turbo seals.
Without knowing if your diffuser tube has ever been cleaned before, it's hard to say for sure. For the most part, your diffuser tube looks perfectly normal with some EGR function. In theory, cheaper oils like Rotella T6 will have more foaming and higher amounts of CCV oil blow-by compared to a higher quality oil. I don't know how the difference would measure in a real-world application on the EcoDiesel, but there's a measurable difference in the labs.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It's possible that your diffuser tube has never been cleaned, so you're seeing residue from when the truck was stock.

Without knowing if your diffuser tube has ever been cleaned before, it's hard to say for sure. For the most part, your diffuser tube looks perfectly normal with some EGR function.
You might have missed it but in post 22 I mentioned this was the second time I've cleaned the tube. Thanks tho.

· Registered
4,320 Posts
You might have missed it but in post 22 I mentioned this was the second time I've cleaned the tube. Thanks tho.
Yup, I missed that piece of information. I would reach out to the experts. @Bounty Hunter and @Brokedownbutgood would be able to answer your question.

· Registered
3,880 Posts
Any thoughts on the amount of oil seen on the diffuser tube and intake manifold mouthpiece?

FWIW I cleaned the intake mouthpiece and diffuser tube 17k miles ago..
The oil is normal its not just oil but crankcase gases from humidity, fuel dilution, combustion gasses, etc.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got my second report back. Looks good to me? The oil really stinks, cant figure out if thats just the nature of these trucks or what?

@Brokedownbutgood or @Bounty Hunter, either of you running off road tunes? I have owned quite a few diesels and this one seems to stink far worse than any other brand I've owned. Smell is sharp and distinctive, somewhat similar to a skidloader or small tractor.

Attachments

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Got my second report back. Looks good to me?
Yes, the oil report looks good. Your viscosity looks amazing, then I realized you were running 15W-40, lol.

I have owned quite a few diesels and this one seems to stink far worse than any other brand I've owned.
I assume you're talking about the exhaust? If so, then you may have an exhaust leak.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes, the oil report looks good. Your viscosity looks amazing, then I realized you were running 15W-40, lol.

I assume you're talking about the exhaust? If so, then you may have an exhaust leak.
I made a mistake filling out the card that I sent in. It was actually 5w-40.

Yes, exhaust. Under the hood smells similar to whats coming out the tailpipe. Cannot for the life of me find any soot leaks, I've checked the diffuser tube, down pipe, O2 Sensor, where it bolts to the turbo and the other line just above the down pipe with the white sock on it.

Smell gets noticeable when idling for awhile at a red light, goes away with the recirc turned on. Shot in the dark but might see if it goes away using a/c as I dont think I noticed it much all summer.

Bought it last year towards the end of winter so my previous cold weather ownership was limited.

· Registered
4,320 Posts
I made a mistake filling out the card that I sent in. It was actually 5w-40.
Well, then I'm impressed. What brand of oil are you running?

Yes, exhaust. Under the hood smells similar to whats coming out the tailpipe.
The turbo up pipe has been known to crack. If so, it can be smelled inside the cab. Unfortunately, the sock needs to be removed to identify it.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Just T6 and a Fram filter.

I ripped the majority of the sock off and felt each bellow on the tube individually with my finger, checking for either cracks or soot. Guess the exhaust manifolds could be a potential culprit as well.

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Just T6 and a Fram filter.
The short commutes and towing brought my viscosity down to 13. Once I added the AFE deep pan (increased capacity), then I was able to keep the viscosity above 14.0 with 6,000-mile intervals.

Guess the exhaust manifolds could be a potential culprit as well.
You also may want to check the Nox sensor on the downpipe. It can sometimes work its way loose.

Reactions: keiths487too

· Registered
4,320 Posts
Check the 3 bolts on the DPF pipe. They are known to rust and break.
I sure wish mine would break before the AEM warranty expires. I would love to have a new DPF! I've heard if you put a socket/wrench on the nuts, those studs break almost instantly with little force. :unsure: :D:p

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Check the 3 bolts on the DPF pipe. They are known to rust and break.
DPF is gone. Thanks tho.

I sure wish mine would break before the AEM warranty expires. I would love to have a new DPF! I've heard if you put a socket/wrench on the nuts, those studs break almost instantly with little force. :unsure: :D:p
I would expect nothing less Rhett 😆

· Registered
4,320 Posts
I would expect nothing less Rhett 😆
I'm holding out for one of the potholes or washboard roads to take care of it for me, but I'm running out of time. ;)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts