RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2018 Lone Star has never used a drop of oil - even when towing our ~5,000 lb travel trailer. (GDE tuned at 23,000 miles after we bought it used at 21,602 on the OD. Runs and tows like a dream.)

But checked the dipstick at a campground the other day after the truck had been sitting overnight, and to my shock the level showed below the MIN mark - by maybe 1/8". (My typical procedure is pull the dipstick, wipe, then reinsert and gently retrieve for a reading.) Never happened before - despite towing in the Rockies and Smokies. Always carry Shell Rotella 5W-40 Full Synthetic so I added maybe 1/2 qt. Now I'm showing above the MAX mark all the way up to the top of the dipstick where the flexible part begins.

So should I open my Fumoto valve and drain some to get back to the MAX level? I regularly change my own oil, filters, etc. so I'm used to handling this stuff. So whatever caused my incorrect low oil reading, I just want to get back to an optimum level . . . not wanting to churn up any foam in that oil.

Thoughts? And thanks!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Make sure the truck is parked on level ground and has been off for a half hour or so. Pull the dipstick, dry it, stick it back in and see what it reads.

A half quart will not take you from low, or even full to anywhere near over the top of the dipstick, you are having some kind of inconsistency checking your oil level or you put a whole lot more than a 1/2 a quart in. There are plenty of owners who just put a full 11 quarts in from the get go with no issues, so if you really only added 1/2 a quart i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,617 Posts
Make sure the truck is parked on level ground and has been off for a half hour or so. Pull the dipstick, dry it, stick it back in and see what it reads.
^^^ this is how to check the oil in this engine. I usually check mine before I head out for the day, same spot, same way.
If the truck is not sitting pretty much level the reading will be off more from that than an extra 1/2 quart.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
The bottom of the hash mark to aka add line to the top of the hash mark aka full is one quart. Adding half a quart wont make that much difference. There is something else going on.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Deleted...misread original issue.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Crash is correct you need to wait but only five minutes if you started for a minute after an oil change 15 if you have been driving it.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,017 Posts
Going from a cold engine to hot as in towing an RV hot, can raise the level a half a quart. 10.5 quarts of oil can expand quite a bit.

I also have noted it don't take much of an "out of level" grade to affect your dipstick reading. So I always take it with a grain of salt. Gas stations are a good place to check oil as most of them are flat and level. IF I saw I was a half a quart low parked at a campground, I would of waited to recheck on a known level surface. As long as I see oil on the dipstick I'm good to go.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

A half quart will not take you from low, or even full to anywhere near over the top of the dipstick, you are having some kind of inconsistency checking your oil level or you put a whole lot more than a 1/2 a quart in. There are plenty of owners who just put a full 11 quarts in from the get go with no issues, so if you really only added 1/2 a quart i wouldnt worry about it.
^^^ this is how to check the oil in this engine. I usually check mine before I head out for the day, same spot, same way.
If the truck is not sitting pretty much level the reading will be off more from that than an extra 1/2 quart.
Thanks guys, as always, for solid responses. The advice above is indeed how I typically check my oil level. Bottom line: after the truck sat overnight and all day in my garage (needed time to watch some college football, of course), I verified that the oil level was still at the very top of the dipstick where the flexible part begins. So I popped open my Fumoto valve to drain the level back to a point just over the "MAX" level. I'm quite comfortable with that given comments elsewhere on the forum as well as in this thread.

I can only guess that when I first observed what I thought was a low oil level, that the truck was parked slightly off level on a campsite driveway. I probably should have re-parked and waited a long while and then rechecked. That's my best observation, and I'm thankful for the insights you guys have offered to determine the cause.

I'm further comforted that after the initial perceived low reading and then the addition of extra oil all observed oil temps and pressures were within normal ranges. All of this was experienced while towing our travel trailer (and I do religiously pay attention to coolant and oil data points on the dash).

BTW, even after towing significant grades in the Rockies with our trailer over the last 3 weeks; i.e. Raton Pass, Wolf Creek Pass - and then just driving up and down Cottonwood Pass and the pass to Telluride in Colorado - that oil sure has stayed nice and golden and clean! Thanks GDE Tune!

Thanks again to all. EOT

·
Registered
868 Posts
BTW, you can pump from the dipstick tube if you have a small hand pump. Tube goes almost to the bottom of the sump. First and only time I took to dealer, they overfilled it 1 qt.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, you can pump from the dipstick tube if you have a small hand pump. Tube goes almost to the bottom of the sump. First and only time I took to dealer, they overfilled it 1 qt.
Thx Hydrex - good to know that. If I had not previously installed a Fumoto oil pan drain valve that would indeed be the way to go to remove some oil. But as it is, it's no big deal to scoot under the truck with my drain pan, remove the safety latch and flick open the valve for just a bit. I actually did that twice consecutively in small increments to bring my oil level back to a proper level.

I should add that since doing so, the truck's oil level has been rock solid at the correct amount - after a few hundred miles of freeway and highway driving (easily accumulated around the Houston metro area where we live).

Thx again.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Laramie; New Compliant GDE
28 Posts
@Last Train Deleted, answered my own question

Thanks,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts