RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Did an oil change last weekend and definitely messed some things up. On my last oil change, I likely overtightened the drain plug while trying to get to the 33 ft/lb spec, and this time I put this thing in place of my old drain plug:

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ez-dp-15-14150-01/drain-valves

I can't seem to get the new drain valve plug on there tightly, it hits a "tight point" and becomes loose again. Also, there is now a slow oil drip at the plug location, so obviously I stripped the threads in the oil pan. I understand I have a few options, but want to find the right one, and only want to waste 10.5 quarts of oil once. I think these are my options:

1. Get a Time-Sert / helicoil / whatever kit and fix the drain hole, then reinstall the drain valve (or go back to regular oil drain plug)
2. Apply some cold-weld or some other sealer to the drain valve and it's there forever
3. Get an oversized drain plug and hope I am not stupid enough to re-strip the new thread pattern made by the bigger plug
4. Replace the oil pan (get a professional to replace the oil pan.)

I also wonder if I should try to remove the drain valve and put the oem plug back on there in hopes that some of the deeper threads aren't as messed-up as the shallower ones that the drain valve is grabbing.

Please keep in mind that I already know how dumb I am to strip the threads in the oil pan before replying :eek:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I would try a helicoil if there is enough pan material in that area. Next I would do a pan replacement.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I'd not try the old oil plug to see if it might be OK. That is dangerous. If the oil plug falls out you will likelt lose the oil quick enough to do damage to the engine before you realize what is happening. Either the helicoil or drill and tap can work well if done properly. If you drill and tap it sometimes makes sense to change from metric to Imperial or vice versa to just get the slightly bigger next size. If you drill and tap grease the drill and tap well to do the best you can to catch all the chips.

you also have the option of trying a rubber plug like the Dorman. I have used them in the past for a change or two and they worked well.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-65200-AutoGrade-Drain-Plug/dp/B000CO96FE

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't risk it just get a deep aftermarket oil pan. Seen a company make one for our trucks. Do it correctly once and never think about it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Too bad the valve didn’t work,I’ve been using the same one for 100000 KMs and I love it. If you could get that one in there with no leaks, you’d never have to take it out again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Either the helicoil or drill and tap can work well if done properly. If you drill and tap it sometimes makes sense to change from metric to Imperial or vice versa to just get the slightly bigger next size. If you drill and tap grease the drill and tap well to do the best you can to catch all the chips.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Either the helicoil or drill and tap can work well if done properly. If you drill and tap it sometimes makes sense to change from metric to Imperial or vice versa to just get the slightly bigger next size. If you drill and tap grease the drill and tap well to do the best you can to catch all the chips.
First post, welcome to the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts