RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new '14 EcoD, 8 week wait from order, but well worth it! Have a question about oil pressure - what are you seeing at idle / mid throttle? Mine seems low compared to the hemi's near constant 50 psi. I'm around 20 at idle and around 28-35 at cruising speed (around 1800 rpm) but needle is just low of center on analog gauge. Remember the old adage about 10 psi / 1000 RPM, which means everything is OK, but wanted to compare. Thanx!

·
Registered
396 Posts
My duramax ran around 10 at idle. Seemed scary low but normal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Oil pressure varies dramatically with temp and it takes quite a while to come up to temp. Therefore if you compare oil pressures you have to also talk oil temp.

The 1000 rpm/10psi rule is a pretty good rule of thumb but doesn't apply to diesel engines because they need more oil flow at low rpm.

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
Agree with every other response. Somewhere I have a picture of the oil pressure at operating temp. Low. It's way lower than anything I would expect but probably on a par with the other diesels I owned.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm getting same numbers. I was a little concerned, but it sounds like that is normal. Oil very thin on dipstick, kinda hard to see/read.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm getting the same numbers. Seems to keep 10psi higher than RPM level. 1000 rpm = 20psi. 2000 rpm = 30psi. It appears to be electronically controlled.

20psi cold at idle and 15psi when everything is up to temp.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Unless these are different the gauge is no more than and idiot light with numbers to make you feel good the reading on the gauge is programmed in the computer based on engine speed and temperature. I know I had a spare temp sensor for my 03 cummins and if it was hot and I plugged the cool sensor in instead it would read cooler and the oil pressure would read higher. they want us to see pressures we expect to see to make us feel good. Most newer diesels I've seen are running lower oil pressure than engines of the past I believe that erosion of bearings from dirty oil with excessive oil pressure is causing the lower oil pressure trend. I know I cant wait to get my ED. My .02

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just picked up my new '14 EcoD, 8 week wait from order, but well worth it! Have a question about oil pressure - what are you seeing at idle / mid throttle? Mine seems low compared to the hemi's near constant 50 psi. I'm around 20 at idle and around 28-35 at cruising speed (around 1800 rpm) but needle is just low of center on analog gauge. Remember the old adage about 10 psi / 1000 RPM, which means everything is OK, but wanted to compare. Thanx!
I am around the same numbers. Quicker warmups here in the Houston area with temps now in the low 80s during the day.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Going over a mountain today, 6-8 0/0 grades and pressure was good, but oil temp got to 233, coolant 219, trans 188. Ambient temp 75F, one passenger. I have to pull travel trailer over that route and am a little worried about what temps will go to. I have 3.92 rear, expecting that to help on grades.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm getting same numbers. I was a little concerned, but it sounds like that is normal. Oil very thin on dipstick, kinda hard to see/read.
I agree. The oil is very hard to see on the dipstick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
438 Posts
Going over a mountain today, 6-8 0/0 grades and pressure was good, but oil temp got to 233, coolant 219, trans 188. Ambient temp 75F, one passenger. I have to pull travel trailer over that route and am a little worried about what temps will go to. I have 3.92 rear, expecting that to help on grades.
75 degree day today. Saw 213 degrees F oil temp in stop and go traffic. As soon as I started moving it went to the normal range of 206-208. The synthetics handle the heat much better than the dino oils. I wouldn't be concerned. Racing engines can see oil temps way north of 300F and they do fine. I know the manual says 5w-30 for all driving conditions however the Mobil 1 ESP is available in 5w-40.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think that only the 5w30 Mobil1 ESP carries the Chrysler material approval - the 5w40 has only the Daimler approval, it's probably okay though.

The last time I looked, the EcoD has only an oil pressure switch - not a real sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have about 600 miles on my ecodiesel now and I am seeing the same oil pressure readings - 20psi at idle and up to about 33 at highway speed.

Does anyone know what the Chrysler oil pressure specification is?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have about 600 miles on my ecodiesel now and I am seeing the same oil pressure readings - 20psi at idle and up to about 33 at highway speed.

Does anyone know what the Chrysler oil pressure specification is?
good question..checked mine today and was 104 kpa warm engine at idle and 175 kpa @ 100 kmh..sure seems low

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
I think that only the 5w30 Mobil1 ESP carries the Chrysler material approval - the 5w40 has only the Daimler approval, it's probably okay though.

The last time I looked, the EcoD has only an oil pressure switch - not a real sensor.
I believe that there has to be a pressure sensor, in order to read out continuous oil pressure, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
583 Posts
The oil pressure should be rpm/100 + 9psi. At least that's what I'm seeing and others have posted the same results.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts