RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone check their oil level yet? I happened to check mine the day I brought the truck home. It's showing barely on the first line of the dip stick. I don't think it's a real concern, having over a two gallon pan, but it's not showing what the level should be. (imho)

·
Registered
84 Posts
That would bother me to no end. I am the type of person that has to keep it on the full line. I would go back to the dealer and have them add some as the oil is expensive and the truck is new they should have caught that on the delivery inspection.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red, yeah, that's what I think, too. A pretty elementary check on their part, although one would think that oil is added by robot at the factory, with no margin of error.

That would bother me to no end. I am the type of person that has to keep it on the full line. I would go back to the dealer and have them add some as the oil is expensive and the truck is new they should have caught that on the delivery inspection.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Mine was full.

Reactions: sparks

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I wouldn't get too worried yet. New engines will drink a little oil, until the rings set. But keep an eye on it.

Reactions: sparks

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Just yesterday I bought a quart of ESP Mobile 1 at Pep Boys. It was the only one there that had the C3 rating. Wanted a quart to carry with me in case the level dropped.

Anyhow, my wife and I had lunch at Steak n Shake. That cost me $12 WITH tip. That single quart of oil cost $14 WITH tax.

Lord help us when we start paying for all the oil in an oil change and the filter.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheaper for lunch than a quart of oil. lol
To think, at one time I used to buy oil by the 55 gallon barrel for the company vehicles. Let's see...$14 times 55 gallons.....

Just yesterday I bought a quart of ESP Mobile 1 at Pep Boys. It was the only one there that had the C3 rating. Wanted a quart to carry with me in case the level dropped.

Anyhow, my wife and I had lunch at Steak n Shake. That cost me $12 WITH tip. That single quart of oil cost $14 WITH tax.

Lord help us when we start paying for all the oil in an oil change and the filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently went on the Amsoil website. If you order oil without being a preferred costumer it costs $11.00 per quart. I currently am a preferred costumer and it cost $8.50. Of course, that does not include shipping.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Checked my oil today. Up but it sure is dirty. Only about 600 miles on it and already it looks like black diesel oil. My take from that is the rings are not seated. Remember my Cummins did this for it's first 50,000 miles and then cleared up until about 10,000 miles on each oil change. Think my Duramax got dirty around 3,000 and the old 6.5 diesel always got dirty fast and never ever got clean running after an oil change. None of my diesels ever used any oil between changes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I know that my dealer was offering 12 oil changes for 800$. It was a mopar plan. When I need an oil change. I am buying that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got the Oil Change and Tire Rotation MOPAR plan from my dealer. I wanted full maintenance package, but they said it had been pulled for the Eco Diesel because they hadn't figured out how much things were gonna cost on this engine yet. Oh well, the oil/tire plan was $1100 at "Fleet Price" and includes 18 oil changes and tire rotations. Works out to about $60 for an oil change/tire rotation. Thought that was well worth it considering how much oil this truck takes, plus even though they want to use it at their dealership it's good at any MOPAR dealer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
"Come buy a vehicle and get "maintenance for life" and never pay for another oil change."

I hope my dealership honors it's free lifetime oil changes, as quoted from it's website above, on the EcoD.

·
Registered
32 Posts

...................yeah and don't hold your breath too long when you hear the price of an oil filter.

skifast

1 - 16 of 16 Posts